“Good Flavours, somewhat rushed”

The Elm Tree Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Elm Tree Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 9,038 Restaurants in Toronto
Price range: US$12 - US$27
Cuisines: European, Mediterranean, Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: The Elm Tree Restaurant is a new, modern-Mediterranean restaurant in the heart of Toronto! Using fresh and high quality products, the menu focuses on the use of familiar ingredients, yet delivers a unique and memorable dining experience. Our restaurant provides guests with exceptional food at accommodating prices. Featuring great craft beers, international cocktails, wines and spirits, our bar is fully loaded. We provide our customers with as much selection at the bar as on the menu! Our bar features 8 draught beers, a concise yet international wine menu, classic and premium cocktails and a large variety of spirits. Our staff are knowledgeable and attentive, providing quality service in a casual and comfortable atmosphere. Guests are encouraged to relax and enjoy the ambiance, and to try some succulent dishes that are unique to our menu. The next time you want to try some of the best Mediterranean food in Toronto, look no further than The Elm Tree Restaurant!
Reviewed 29 July 2017

Had family dinner to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday. I had indicated this on the open table reservation, but the message obviously did not get passed on to serving staff, as no mention was made of the celebration during our entire dinner.
That aside, the food was excellent. Both the salmon and barramundi were lovely, as were the starters. The service was efficient, seeming somewhat rushed at times. The restaurant was quite busy, and the noise level grew with the crowd.
I suppose my review is somewhat tainted as it was a normal dinner, when I was hoping for that something extra experience. While I suppose I could have mentioned the birthday, I kept waiting for some xtra little fuss to be mad at some point. But all of that aside, definitely give this place a try.

Reviewed 25 July 2017

Keeping it short, had an amazing experience at the restaurant while on a business trip. Service was great, very friendly and had excellent suggestions. The decor was nice and the food was fantastic. Whenever I'm in Toronto again, I am coming here.

Reviewed 24 July 2017

We had diner here after reading the comments on tripadvisor. The restaurant has a limited choise of food. We all had something different. The starters were good, the staeks also. Chef wants to impress you with fla ours but it does not always work. Especially not onthe ravioli and the risotto. They have a fine winelist, also by the glass. But it does not come cheap.

1  Thank Anthony V
Reviewed 23 July 2017

My wife and I were in town for a few days and wanted to take our daughter and her friend out to a nice restaurant. The problem is that they are both vegans and my wife and I eat anything so in the past we always haven't always found a place that was good for everybody. After finding the Elm Tree Restaurant I am satisfied that we have now found that place.

The restaurant is just off Bay on quiet Elm Street which is south of the Yorkville area in what is known as Bay/Cloverhill. It's a nice neighbourhood and you can walk there from most mid-town hotels or take the metro up if you are staying near the waterfont.

The restaurant is in a brick building that was probably once a home. There is seating inside and out on a front patio. The atmosphere is eclectic with some interesting artwork. It's also pretty quiet by Toronto standards with a wide variety of patrons.

What attracted me was the number of different looking vegetarian dishes on the menu that turned out to be excellent for vegan and non-vegan alike. The charred eggplant is really a nice spiced up version of babagounosh while the grilled cauliflower and broccoli both had that nice almost burnt flavor you get from a hot grill. Also very good was the summer salad and the shishito peppers.

For non-vegans the grilled octopus is as good as any we've had in Toronto, maybe better. The burrata salad is huge and almost a meal in itself. I could not resist the rack of lamb which was dome perfectly medium rare and served with a number of the above mentioned vegetables. My wife had a wonderful cheese filled ravioli with creme friache and a variety of ground nuts for topping.

We were too full for dessert. The wine list is not that extensive, but has enough variety for most palates at decent prices. For non-wine drinkers there is a good selection of craft beers. The only thing I wasn't completely satisfied with was my straight up martini which had a little too much vermouth in it.

I read another review that mentioned not enough staff. I can say that problem has been cured because there seemed to be waitpersons everywhere and any one of them helped make sure our meal was great. Pricewise it's at the high medium end, but I felt we got our money's worth. All in all a nice find in a city with literally thousands of restaurants.

Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

After a heavy day of eating and drinking we onlt had a main here. Menu looked great with lots of choice. Veggie optiin was a Mediterranean burger with fries that my hubby loved. Moist burger and well cooked fries. I had the duck and mushroom risotto. A bit too al dente for my taste. Generous portions and extensive drinks/wine list. Staff very friendly and welcoming. Nice atmosphere. Simple online booking service.