“Disappointing Dinner Experience”
Review of Smoque & Bones

Smoque & Bones
Reserve with OpenTable
Smoque & Bones is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #359 of 9,440 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Barbecue, Bar
Neighbourhood: Queen Street and West Queen West
Neighbourhood: Queen Street and West Queen West
Reviewed December 4, 2017 via mobile

Made a reservation through OpenTable and was asked to select a ‘table type’ and I selected ‘Standard’ coz I don’t want to dine in the bar or counter. But guess what, we still ended up sitting in one of the most uncomfortable bar stool you can imagine! We asked if we can go to the 2nd floor and they said it’s not open, we asked if we can seat in one of their 4 seater table since it’s not busy anyway and they said no too. So we were given a table underneath the stairs and we’re really disappointed coz why do you get to choose your table upon reservation and in the end they put you to this lousy inconvenient tables/area. Plus the tables/stools are so tiny that you don’t have anyplace to put down your coat. Yes they do have a coat rack, the kind that can accommodate 2-3 coats lol. And since there’s already coats hanging in the rack, our coats stayed in our lap for the duration of our dining. Talk about having an enjoyable dinner, NOT!

And the food, OMG I don’t understand why people give this restaurant 4 or 5 stars since the food is nothing spectacular!

Ordered the following BBQ:

- 1/2 lbs Side Ribs - they were tough and dry. For $19.90 you would think that you’re getting at least decent ribs but oh no you’re not! I’d rather eat Swiss Chalet’s ribs (and I hate hate Swiss Chalet) that’s when you know Smoque N’ Bones’ ribs are bad.

- Their Smoked Chicken ($16.90) is the same story, tasted more like burnt than smokey.

SIDES:

- Sweet Potato Waffle Fries($7.90) - of all the food we ordered, this is the only thing we enjoyed. The natural sweetness of the potatoes and its crunchy texture makes this an okay dish.

- Grilled Corn with Chipotle Mayo & Smoked Cheddar (6.90) - they split 1 corn into two, slathered it with mayo and cheese and charge you almost 7 bucks for a side that doesn’t even taste good. Nothing special, I bet you can make this yourself and it won’t cost you this much.

Overall after experiencing back problems and sore behind (from the hard uncomfortable stools), unaccommodating service and uninspired/expensive food, there’s no way I’m coming back here.

Reviewed December 4, 2017 via mobile

Wife and I were excited to explore this restaurant but were greatly disappointed. Ribs were tough, burnt and had to pull the meat away from the bone like a caveman. Either it was overcooked or stale... sad thatch couldn't tell. They had one bottle of wine to offer my wife, but had a decent beer selection. The atmosphere was to dark and both myself and the couple beside us had to use the light on our phones to read the menu.

The waitress upstairs was very good and informative.

The bill was over 150 and I was disgusted I paid that for this experience. I've had a better experience at ribfest and using my oven at home for less than half the cost.

Recommend better quality meats, and knowledge of proper bbq techniques.

Reviewed November 19, 2017 via mobile

Great find if you want fabulous ribs! The place is small, servers are understaffed but the food was amazing. We shared the Tasting for Two which satisfies my need for bbq meat. We will be back!

Reviewed November 14, 2017 via mobile

I've been to this establishment twice this year. Once in January for a birthday with large froup and again this November with two others. The service has been horrible both times. Multiple people serving us, no one introduced themselves, which made it hard for us to acknowledge who was looking after us. Some of them hardly know the menu. Food took over 40 mins each time. The second visit my friends mac n cheese came cold and it took 30 mins or more to get a replacement. Some dishes are amazing as others are a little lack luster. After giving it a chance two times, I've been disappointed on both occasions and won't be back. Was hopefully my second experience would change my opinion but it has not. Which is unfortunate because the layout and concept is great in theory but not executed appropriately.

Reviewed November 4, 2017 via mobile

This is a buzzy young person’s BBQ establishment. Whist the baby back ribs were good and portions large the dining environment was cramped with small wood tables close together with little room for much on the table and no room for coats. There was only one bottle of wine available tonight and that was white. Service was satisfactory and functional. There is a very interesting cocktail and whisky bar upstairs with eating at the bar.