“Great food and service”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown West
Cross street: John Street
Transit: Subway: 2- minute from St. Andrew Subway Station.
Description: Casual Bistro located in the heart of Entertainment District specialize in wood grilled steaks & lobster. Certified Angus, USDA Prime and Ontario Dry Aged Beef grilled over Canada"s first commercial indoor hickory & oak fired pellet char-broiler
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

I've been going off and on since it opened 30 years ago. Constantly good. Nothing else to say. Get a reservation.

1  Thank Kerry K

Reviewed April 2, 2018

We were looking for an early dinner after a Matinee at the "Royal Alex" and found this was the perfect spot and within easy walking distance. We had the two course show special. The waiter was very attentive, but we were the first customers in so things were a little slow. He quickly brought a basket with Jalapeño corn bread and sliced french stick. We both loved the corn bread, and the french stick was good also. My wife had Caesar salad which was ample and tasty. I had the Baked lobster and crab soup which came with a pastry topping which I could have done without, but the soup was spicy and tasty. We both elected for the Cod au Gratin and were pleased with the dish. The restaurant began to fill with the after baseball crowd, but was never full - probably due to it being Easter Sunday. We plan to return. As with most restaurants in Toronto, we found the wines prices to be over inflated, but we have come to expect it. With tip and a "cheap" bottle of wine we were out the door for $150, but without the wine would have been $100.

3  Thank GasBayBye
Reviewed April 1, 2018

This is a great restaurant for dinner before the theatre. We had a reservation which proved to be essential. There was a special “Come from Away” menu which was very good. The fish broke apart and was very moist.
Paying the bill took a while as it seemed that at least half the restaurant patrons were also going to 8pm shows at the nearby theatres.

1  Thank RetireeMontreal
Reviewed March 24, 2018

Had dinner here a few weeks ago. Good food -- I had the wedge of lettuce for starter which was OK and lobster tail and seafood pasta which was very tasty. My colleague had the crab and lobster soup which he raved about and a steak. I had the espresso crème brule was so-so. The wines by the glass were expensive. The dining rooms were quite unique was interesting murals. Nice atmosphere. Service was excellent.

1  Thank George S
Reviewed March 18, 2018

My daughter and I joined a friend who is moving into this neighbourhood, and as this friend is currently trying out all the restaurants in the area, we decided to give Fred's a go. We were seated promptly, and decided before even ordering food that friend and her husband would probably come here often for casual drinks as the atmosphere was cool and the decor, although kitschy, was fun. The only off-putting thing was the entrance to the kitchen area, which is messy, unattractive and in full view of the diners. Service was prompt and friendly, and the food arrived in good time. My friend had the fish special, which she declared was so good they needed to include it on the menu permanently. My pizza, though a little undercooked, was delicious, and my daughter enjoyed her burger. We would do it again!

1  Thank Michele L