“Amazing Ethiopian food and hospitable service”

Ethiopian House Restaurant
Ranked #705 of 9,166 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed October 16, 2017

If you’re in Toronto and interested in many culinary experiences Toronto offers, you’re practically required to seek out some Ethiopian food. There are several Ethiopian restaurants around since Toronto is home to a sizable Ethiopian community. Serving tasty and reasonably priced Ethiopian food, Ethiopian House has a variety of beef, chicken and vegetarian options on the menu. The aroma of frankincense, ambiance and welcoming host gives you sense of Ethiopia in downtown Toronto.

We have been to Ethiopian House many times. During our recent visit we ordered the vegetarian and meat combo platter which featured a sampling of beef, lentils, split peas, chickpeas, collard greens, cabbage, and fresh vinegary salad, to name a few. It had a hearty mix of just-the-right-level-of-spicy meats, lentils and vegetables, all scooped up by hand with spongy, injera bread. We also ordered Doro Wat, a spicy, chicken based sauce, cooked with butter, onion, chili, garlic and spices served with a boiled egg. One thing you need to understand when eating Ethiopian food is that food is eaten with your fingers and utensils aren’t used. Injera , a spongy sourdough flatbread made from fermented teff flour is used to pinch and eat the food.

They also do traditional Ethiopian coffee ceremony and it takes about 30 minutes to prepare. If you are not in a hurry and have time to spare, it's worth a try.

1  Thank Don E

Reviewed August 14, 2017

Delicious food, great ambience, coffee & service. Would definitely recommend and return for meal. Love the owners running the resteraunt.

Reviewed August 7, 2017

Ethiopian food is one of my favorite cuisines. When I travel I am always pleasantly surprised when I find an Ethiopian restaurant. I found this one by accident. I was walking around, saw a cute little house and walked over, I realized it was the restaurant. Standard Ethiopian music playing, wall decorations, waiter was lovely.

I got the vegetarian combo. I have eaten in about 6 Ethiopian restaurants in NYC and am used to having injera on the dish and then the food is placed on top, thereby the sauces can seep in and that is delicious. I found out they don't do that except at dinner.

Food was really good. Highly recommend.

Reviewed July 25, 2017 via mobile

Our daughter introduced us to Ethiopian cuisine. The food is delicious. Been there twice in a week.

Service, music and the great collection of photographs (particularly upstairs) are a great compliment to the cuisine and enhance the dining experience.

Cleanliness unfortunately is not a strength.

Reviewed May 15, 2017

This Ethiopian restaurant has been there for a number of years. The staff are always friendly. The food is tasty and quite authentic including the traditional coffee. The restaurant is located near a subway stop.