“Great Poutine”

Price range: US$5 - US$17
Cuisines: International, Cafe
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Description: Good morning....And good night. Nestled in the heart of Toronto's Annex, Insomnia Restaurant & Lounge has blossomed into a neighbourhood favourite known for its great food and warm service. Combining a menu of international comfort foods spread across brunch and dinner with seasonal & classic cocktails, great local and import beer and wine. If you prefer to rise with the morning sun, Insomnia's famous brunch is the neighbourhood's most popular and recently Now Magazine "Best of TO - Reader's Choice" Voted - Best Brunch, served in a bustling atmosphere complimented by the aroma of traditional and eclectic dishes. Have a cup of our signature coffee or spoil yourself with one of several refreshing, break of day cocktails. More of a Nighthawk? A wide ranging Dinner menu will take you into the evening where the daily drink specials and late night menu begin. Recently Now Magazine "Best of TO - Reader's Choice" Voted - Best Late Night Restaurant. Don't worry if you get the twilight munchies, we've got you covered; kitchen open until 2am, 7 days a week. Welcome to your new favourite spot. Welcome to Insomnia.
Reviewed August 18, 2018

My daughter and I dropped in for a late lunch. She ordered poutine and was very happy with her meal. I ordered the mussels. The service was great, i.e. friendly and efficient.

Reviewed July 19, 2018 via mobile

Popped in for a cocktail. It wasn’t super busy but service was kind of slow. Drinks are not super inventive, ambience was alright, cocktails are pricey. A brandy Alexander costs less in Vegas than here. Bourbon sour for $17 probably made my mind up then and there. I see good things about the food, might give it another shot for the brunch. Bathroom is down a set of stairs like many places in the area, FYI.

Reviewed July 15, 2018 via mobile

Absolutely amazing place and an amazing brunch me and partner had over the weekend . I made a last minute reservation through yelp to grab a table on a Saturday morning for 9:45 am. Book ahead trust me this place was packed with a line up when we left after 11 am . Many if the tables also were reserved when we arrived and the other tables were already full. This place is so beautiful you have no idea. The tables , the nicely set up bar and the just the nice touch each table had like water and everything else set up for you when you sit down. The place itself is rather large with more tables than it seems from the outside. Sitting at the front would be nice by the open windows. In the back looks more like a lounge with sofa chairs and a few high tables. There are also spots to sit the long beautiful bar.The service was amazing all of the girls were very nice and our waitress was informative and quick (left 20% tip) . The brunch menu is what this place is known. I already knew what I wanted as I have drooling on pictures of this place since I came across it online after so many reviews and this place being on " best of places " on multiple sites. I ordered the " Heaven on Earth" ($16.95) french toast which was huge !!! Stuffed with berries , cream cheese and served with maple syrup it was to die for. I have never tried anything like this in my life ! So mouthwatering and just melts away. It is sweet but not to overpowering especially without the syrup. I couldn't finish the entire meal but it was so good I stuffed myself with this enormous portion all on my own. My partner got peameal bacon eggs Benedict.They were also fantastic ( $16.95) came with home fries covered in a sauce and salad. The prices are on the higher side but so worth it ! We were able to snag also two orange mimosas ( we got lucky due to the world cup they are serving alcohol as early as 9 am ! ) which were both under 6$ each as they have them on daily specials. In all the bill came to 50$ without Tip which is of course on the higher side but pretty typical for a good brunch meal. I cannot wait to come back here and try out more things. I recommend this place for everyone to try and splurge at least once ! Will add pictures !

Reviewed July 8, 2018 via mobile

I had just flown in from Nova Scotia to visit my son and daughter-in-law
My family had been to this restaurant before and really liked it so he called up and got a reservation at what they were called the higher chairs And table
When we win we were greeted promptly and taken into our seat
I could see it was a mixture of tables chairs the bar and comfy couches and chairs
There was a jug of water with lemon on the table and they promptly served us coffee
My son had the eggs Benedict and my daughter in law had a more traditional breakfast with sunny side up eggs ,avocado ,potatoes and I had the short stack pancakes Which were served with peanut butter sauce butter and maple syrup

I would’ve liked to have tried their pancakes that were baked but that took approximately a half hour but definitely something we would do another time
Our water classes were kept full out coffee cups topped up
our server was very friendly and efficient
no complaints from us

Reviewed June 18, 2018 via mobile

usually i don‘t give just 3 stars for such a nice location, but i have to do it here.

we had to wait aprox 45 minutes for the food and the place was not very full. the secound point is, that the AC was very strong and it was cold because of this, so not confi.

nevertheless the food was good (not outstanding though).

i would go there go grab some drinks but not for dinner again.