“Delicious, generous portions, reasonable price”
Review of Kalyvia

Kalyvia
Ranked #1,594 of 8,933 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: East End
Reviewed 17 March 2013

My friend and I went to this restaurant after an exhausting four hour shopping tour of Honest Ed's. We had been to the Kalyvia before and had enjoyed it. It's clean and unpretentious with simple decor and delicious home style cooking. There's a welcome consistency to their fare. We washed our hands in the immaculate bathroom, then relaxed with a glass of red wine. The waiter pointed out a prix fixe menu...excellent deal, but too much food for us. We had the special of the day - soup, salad and gyros $8.95. It was a large portion and everything tasted fabulous. The service was excellent. On the way out, we noted that the restaurant had been written up in magazines. I can see why.

2  Thank Hildetoronto

Reviewed 11 December 2012

I don't know if this is a permanent feature, but the Kalyvia on Danforth has a fixed price deal right now that can't be beat!! For $15, you will get soup or excellent Greek salad, an entree (souvlaki, moussaka, calamari, etc.) complete with rice and potatoes, a wonderful custard dessert or baklava and tea or coffee!!! Wow!!! We've been back six times, expecting this deal to end, but seems it's still on. Amazing.

Reviewed 2 October 2012

I'm used to Astoria. I really, really like Astoria. I love Greek salads (which I know technically are the salads without iceberg, but still) - their salad has the weirdest dressing... It tasted like mustard or something. Just did not suit me. It's also really pricey./

Reviewed 4 September 2012

We sat just inside, not quite on the patio, but with the doors open, it feels like sitting outside. We shared several appetisers rather than settling for a single main and everything was delicious. The portions are generous and the flavours pretty authentic - we like Greek food. If you order their "poikilia" (variety) platter, you get a nice sampling of a few of their dishes. One of the best choices on the Danforth for taste and value.

1  Thank FamilyRoadtrip2012
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We were very disappointed in our dinner at Kalyvia. The dining room is quite spacious but the room felt stuffy and warm - poor air conditioning on a warm night. The food was very mediocre - absolutely nothing special about it. Not a stellar experience in an area where there are many options for good Greek food.