“The Best Sunday Brunch Ever.”

Le Papillon on Front
Ranked #150 of 9,000 Restaurants in Toronto
Price range: US$12 - US$48
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: Le Papillon on Front is located in the heart of Old Town Toronto. Inside of a beautiful Old Town Toronto building with exposed brick walls and high lofty ceilings sits the beautiful venue for Le Papillon on Front. It's exposed brick is complemented well by the aged hardwood floor and perfectly soft lighting. The venue suggests a lovely mix of romance, comfort, and of course, the classic French bistro atmosphere that has followed Le Papillon to all of its locations. In the warmer months Le Papillon on Front even creeps its way onto Front street, giving a beautiful view of the Flatiron building as well as the CN tower in the distance. With a closed in patio adorned with wonderfully arranged planters you experience a private feel, even while sitting on the heart of Front Street.
Reviewed 13 November 2017

Maybe I got lucky but my recent foodie experience at Le Papilon was one of the best I’ve ever had.

After visiting the St. Lawrence market, I wanted to treat my wife to a Sunday brunch. I quickly cruised through some reviews and Le Papillon On Front stood out. Both good and bad reviews about service and certain types of food but overall better than average. Sounds like I need to make my own judgment. OK, je vais essayer (Ok I will try it!).

Nice little al fresco patio in front of the main entrance but a little too chilly for us to dine outside. Quickly looked at the menu posted on the front window. Crepes – SOLD! Walked in and I am welcomed with a café/wine bar that separates the front and rear dining areas. The host greeted us and we were quickly seated to a table beside large windows that brought in just enough lighting to make us feel comfortable and warm. I took a quick peek behind the bar and was amazed how large the rear dining area is. A little darker but the lighting from the ceiling and wall sconces added to that romantic, fine dining ambiance.

After looking over the menu and trying to make a few indecisive choices, our server Tom, quickly introduced himself and asked if we were ready to order. We asked if he had any recommendations with their crepes list and he quickly pointed out 3 popular dishes. So we decided to try the St. Laurent ($15 - strip bacon, fresh cooked apples, cheddar cheese) with a side of maple syrup (extra $2 – You gotta have this!) and also ordered the Croque Monsieur ($15). “With a fried egg ($2)?” Tom asked. “Sure why not!” I replied.

Our food arrived in just a little over 15 minutes. The portions of each ingredient were spot on. Crepe cooked through perfectly. The combination of lightly salted bacon, the slight tarty taste of the cooked apples, melted cheddar cheese, and the oh-so-sweet taste of true maple syrup is an absolute must-try.

But wait, the Croque-Monsieur! Well it becomes a Croque-Madame when you add the fried egg (I’m still scratching my head why adding the egg makes it a Croque-Madame). Black forest ham, béchamel sauce, and more cheese please! A little bit of green salad topped with a vinaigrette dressing and a side serving of crunchy French fries were both fantastic. But the egg on top of the Croque-Madame just made the dish. I mean breaking the yolk and having it mix in with the béchamel sauce just tied everything together. What I love was that both dishes were great to share.

The service was excellent! Tom checked up on us, gave us time and space to enjoy our food. Even after waiting for the bill, the host was gracious and helpful to take our plates away while speaking a little French on the side. It was the perfect Sunday Brunch!

For more food reviews and blogging, check out my blog listed in my profile.

Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

Classy restaurant and we have been here for several get togethers over the years. Quality is consistent. Atmosphere is chic and cozy. The spinach and beet salad was sweet with bits of creamy cheese. Both crepes were flavourful and delicate. The chicken with peach and brandy sauce was just lovely. House wines paired well with our meals and the company. Service was attentive and knowledgeable. A good central spot where friends from different parts of the GTA can connect.

Reviewed 4 November 2017

We 3 hadn't been here for some time, hoping that it had now improved. The evening began poorly when at 5.30 we tried to reserve a table for 7. "Not possible at 7, but 6.45 is fine". This fine-tuning was not comprehensible, nor was it explained by the maitre d' when we challenged him on this later. There were a dozen table or more free throughout the evening... The best thing about our evening in this pleasant but very dark space was the service - friendly and humorous; just as well. The meal was not funny. The plate of terrines was very spare for $15 but reasonably tasty. My 'rack of lamb' ($29) consisted of three meagre lamp chops blandly cooked, a standard gravy, sloppy mashed potatoes and a token of vegetable. This dish was bereft of interesting tastes and aromas - apparently no herbs or spices were used, the gravy in particular was pretty awful. The bouillabaisse was blessed with an absolutely derisory amount of fish and seafood, very disappointing. Oh dear! Our worst fears were renewed and our advice remains, to those venturing towards le Papillon, to cross the road and enjoy the very tasty, cheaper, and quieter Hothouse Cafe, where you won't be disappointed.

3  Thank Cedric H
Reviewed 2 November 2017

This is the second time we have been to Le Papillon and both visits have been great. Excellent atmosphere, great staff, wonderful food.

While it has a fixed menu, they also offer a great selection of daily specials, which both my wife and I chose the second time. The wait staff are attentitive and friendly without being overbearing. My wife ordered a drink and it wasn't quite as she expected and they noticed and asked how to help - change or replace.

Great advice on the food and the food came on time. On our first trip my brother-in-law asked that they not take away any plates until we had all finished which they did and to not serve the next course until we were ready, which they also did - with a smile, fresh and hot.

The crepes are a speciality but in fact all the food is excellent.

We will definitely be going back, and bringing our friends, which we wouldn't risk unless we felt totally satisfied.

Reviewed 2 November 2017

Le Papillon is a nice cosy place with a mix of traditional Canadian and French kitchen. Probably the only place in Toronto to get a cassoulet or boeuf bourguignon.