“Winterlicious 2016 at Matahari Bar in Grill”

Matahari Bar & Grill
Ranked #3,498 of 8,847 Restaurants in Toronto
Price range: US$40 - US$60
Cuisines: Indonesian, Malaysian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Cross street: Beverley and McCaul
Transit: Nearest Subway Station - St. Patrick Station. Street Car at Dundas and Beverley
Reviewed 5 February 2016

We were looking forward to trying some indonesian/indian cuisine at the Matahari bar and grill for the winterlicious dinner event. Sadly the food was very disappointing. My soup was cold, my vegetable currry was oily, my son's shortribs were dry not moist.The banana dessert was swimming in what tasted like corn syrup.
The restaurant was under staffed and the food delivery slow.
Save your money and go elsewhere.

Reviewed 12 October 2015

We tried to get into a popular Indonesian Restaurant to no avail and given that our mindset was Indonesian, I decided to search other such venues in the City and was surprised to see how few there are in this diverse multi-cultural City.

I was somewhat skeptical when I read the reviews of this place as they were all over the place. We decided to try it anyway as we had not been down to the Baldwin Street strip in ages and it was only 10 minutes from our home.

We were surprised to see that the many, mostly Asian restaurants weren't busy on this Saturday night, and attributed it to being the Thanksgiving weekend. Nevertheless the Matahari seemed to be well patronized and had reserved, so we were shown to our table

The menu was, as has been previously mentioned in other reviews, not truly "Indonesian", but really Asian Fusion. I have been to Indonesia, and have eaten in many truly Indonesian restaurants in Amsterdam, so I scanned the menu for that fare and found a few items that appealed. Our companions were willing to allow the waiter to make recommendations and therefore it was a bit of a hodgepodge.

We ordered two appetizers, both were good, and three mains, two were very good and the other good. The portions were quite large and we were unable to finish everything on the serving platters. Service was very good and the entire meal including a shared dessert and beers was very reasonably priced.

The ambience was most pleasant and we also enjoyed an after dinner stroll, looking at the menus of the other restaurants on the Baldwin strip. A most pleasant evening was had by all, and we will return to the Matahari.

The only disappointment was that they did not have lamb and there were items on the menu that we wanted to order.

1  Thank montfleurToronto
Reviewed 30 September 2015 via mobile

Have been wanting to try this restaurant and I had the chance recently. We ordered chicken satay, nasi lemak and Hokkien mee. They were just ok, nothing to praise about. M&M have better chicken satay! And we wanted ice kacang for dessert but was told they don't have any that day. So it was quite disappointing

Reviewed 16 September 2015 via mobile

We recently had lunch at Matahari grill, We had few dishs to share everything were good and tasty. Specifically Lamb curry and char Kay teow. I will definitely go back to tast more dishes.

Reviewed 15 August 2015

An outstanding restaurant with excellent food, We had the most delightful Friday evening. Not cheap but very good value, interesting menu - everything we ordered was excellent. (lamb Curry)

2  Thank Jonathan L