“Winterlicious dinner at Matahari”

Matahari Bar & Grill
Ranked #3,500 of 8,846 Restaurants in Toronto
Price range: US$40 - US$60
Cuisines: Indonesian, Malaysian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Cross street: Beverley and McCaul
Transit: Nearest Subway Station - St. Patrick Station. Street Car at Dundas and Beverley
Reviewed 13 March 2017

Our appetizers arrived quickly after we had placed our orders. The Chicken Satay was grilled, served with Matahari’s own peanut sauce, and marinated with their secret mix of spices and herbs. There were two pieces of chicken satay on the two skewers with the peanut sauce on the side. I thought that the chicken meat was not tender enough and quite hard to chew through. The peanut sauce was devoid of much peanuts.

For the main, I ordered the Mee Goreng which was a plate of “egg noodles stir fried with a blend of spices, and had chicken, tofu, potato, bean sprouts, and egg”. It was “topped with crushed peanuts”. I was actually really excited to try this Malaysian/Singaporean dish but I was a little disappointed. The flavour and taste were quite good but I found the egg noodles to be quite chewy. I thought that the chicken was also too hard and could have been more tender. I didn’t see many crushed peanuts on top of the dish.

For dessert, we both ordered the Pandan Crepe which was a fresh screwpine leaf crepe filled with freshly grated coconut palm sugar. I had never tried this dessert before and it was really unique! The fresh screwpine leaf crepe was green in colour and so soft (but didn’t really taste of anything in significance). The freshly grated coconut palm sugar was nestled inside the crepe. I’m not a huge fan of coconut flakes or chunks which was what the texture of the palm sugar tasted like. I enjoyed the ice cream that was included with this dish though.

1  Thank stenoodie

Reviewed 2 October 2016

Some had said the service is not so good here. Friday for lunch the restaurant was crowded, really crowded. The two servers did a great job, I think.
The food servings are large; food very tasty; pricing compatitatve.
The variety of Malaysian,Burmese, Chinese and Indian dishes is great.
I would go back there.

1  Thank jittus2015
Reviewed 25 September 2016

This is my favourite restaurant near the University of Toronto. I often complain that the menu have not changed for years. But then I always order the 3 or 4 dishes that I think they do particularly well.

Reviewed 19 May 2016

This is my second visit to this restaurant. It still has amazing food, good prices and a very elegant interior...cloth napkins! Last time there was with my husband, we ate outside on the patio and had very pleasant, attentive service. This time not so lucky. The restaurant was not busy, less than a quarter full, we were greeted and seated promptly. Our waiter was a person of few words but that's OK. Our lunch arrived quickly, lovely presentation, hot and obviously freshly made . Everything was incredibly delicious. Our water glasses were kept filled. And that's it. After the food arrived, our waiter spoke not a word, no offer of dessert (which we would have liked), no coffee, not a word. We had to ask for the bill. This is really a very good restaurant, worthy of many visits but with that kind of service, I'll go elsewhere. Maybe it was because it was two women. I noticed other women diners shared pretty much the same experience. Unacceptable. The food deserves better treatment and so do we.

1  Thank busyeater
Reviewed 5 February 2016

We were looking forward to trying some indonesian/indian cuisine at the Matahari bar and grill for the winterlicious dinner event. Sadly the food was very disappointing. My soup was cold, my vegetable currry was oily, my son's shortribs were dry not moist.The banana dessert was swimming in what tasted like corn syrup.
The restaurant was under staffed and the food delivery slow.
Save your money and go elsewhere.