“First rate. Not to be missed.”
Review of Messis - CLOSED

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Eat outside if the weather is pleasant! The menu is great and will not overstretch your wallet. Save room for the desserts!

I have been here 12+ times... this is where several departments at U of Toronto take their visitors! It is not for a lack of local eating establishments... this one has everything. Food, service, wines, location and sometimes an entertaining waiter.

1  Thank whisper123

Reviewed 11 August 2011

Mesis on a Wednesday summer night was just hopping. The patio was very comfortable and we enjoyed the summer evening with great drinks-the classic gin martini with four olives (they could have been larger and sweeter) and kir royale. The specials were well done. Service was attentive and very friendly. The fish-the halibut should have been taken off the grill sooner -a little dry. But the cornish game hen was wonderful. The scallops as a starter were very tasty.

The wine was cold and crisp. A wonderful night enjoying excellent food with great friends!

1  Thank Rebecca091
Reviewed 25 June 2011

I'm really sorry I took visitors from abroad to this restaurant which used to be dependably good. Their patio has been a popular summer destination for many years. We ordered scallops and got three tiny scallops (nothing special) for $10. We all ordered the special gourmet pizza of the day ($15). I was shocked when they brought what looked and tasted like heated-up store-bought frozen pizzas to the table (same strange "cakey" crust and rather glazy-skinned cheese - completely tasteless). I was embarrassed in front of my guests, having led them to expect a great experience! What an overpriced let-down and a sad end to an outing we had been looking forward to. I will never go back.

1  Thank fiesole1995
Reviewed 27 March 2011

Over the past few years, I have had the occasion to dine here and have found it to be excellent in all respects. The quality of the food, the stunning presentation, the friendly, proficient service all combine to make a terrific dining experience. They have a lovely patio in the summer. You cannot go wrong. The other night I had a crispy-skinned rare duck breast in blood orange sauce to die for. My friend enjoyed a huge grilled veal chop, my sister ordered her usual, rack of lamb, her husband had the salmon. Everyone was delighted. Two shared desserts, the chocolate mousse cake and the blueberry, white chocolate phyllo blintz were phenomenal. Can't wait to go back!

2  Thank tgtoronto
Reviewed 13 November 2010

After going to this place once, I had to keep coming back for their bbq shrimp risotto and blueberry phyllo dessert. On average I go to about one nice restaurant a week, and after all this time, Messis is definitely one of the top restaurants on my list. Mezza Notte is another one that I would highly recommend.