“It's good, but”

Ranked #3 of 214 Dessert in Toronto
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed June 6, 2018

Bang Bang is good; it really is. Contrary to its name, however, it's not "BOOM! THIS IS MIND BLOWING." What it is, is good, and what it also is, is very "in," which Torontonians love to be (no judgment; we are who we are).

The cookies are good. Yummy. Not the best I've had; certainly not the worst. Same with the ice cream. It's tasty. It's nice ice cream. A lot of flavours have fancy names that Toronto hipsters will fall over but truth-be-told just taste like any other variant of the same with a less pretentious name, and a few flavours are downright interesting, though as sophisticated as I want to be, cardamom is just never going to taste as good on my tongue as it sounds hash-tagging on Instagram.

That said, choose a nice flavour and a nice cookie, and there you go: good. Not, however, enough to shake me with such excitement that I feel inclined to go out of my way and then stand in line for 30 minutes to pay a little bit too much for a little bit too little ice cream.

Reviewed June 3, 2018

My foodie roommate, Keith, says Bang Bang is "the best ice cream he's ever had." That sums up our experience at Bang Bang.

It's a TINY ice cream shop that has rightfully won countless awards and nods from food publications for their ice cream and ice cream sandwiches.

It's just north of West Queen street in between West Queen and Dundas and on a street with countless of top rated shops and restaurants. If you go, go on a week day and early. It opens at 3pm and most days they have a line even before it opens. We went on a Wednesdays at 4pm and only waited 15 minutes.

Due to time, they only let you sample one flavor so pick wisely. I ordered the campfire marshmallow ice cream (nope, it wasn't too smokey) with their "stay classy" cookies (basically chocolate chip cookies). It was worth every penny.

Note: There's an ATM inside, but it's not cash only. They take cards!

Reviewed May 28, 2018 via mobile

When I made my partner walk 45 to find this place, I thought I might be mad but it was SO worth it!! Especially if you’re an ice cream lover like me! They have lots on offer, bubble waffles, cinnamon buns, cookies etc, all which you can fill to your hearts content with ice cream! We opted to share an ice cream sandwich and selected their birthday cookie, sandwiched around their cookie and cream flavour and also their rose water flavour which was a game changer! Big thank you to the girl behind the till who recommended this combo! It was delicious!!

Reviewed April 30, 2018

We came here following a friend's recommendation and the reviews online. It did not disappoint - you can get a traditional ice cream (i.e. cup/cone with a single/double scoop) but you can also go all out and get an ice cream sandwich or choose from the various things that can serve a base for your ice cream.
The flavors are very creative and we could have tried them all. They also have Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free and Vegan ice cream if you want to go down that path (although they do have a sign that says that they are all made together so there could be some cross-contamination - thankfully I do not need to worry about this). Definitely worth it if you are in Toronto.

The only thing that I found weird is that it does not have more indoor space - given that it is cold in Toronto pretty much all the time... I would have expected them to have a bit more indoor seating space.

Reviewed April 29, 2018

Big line but worth the wait. The ice cream was amazing. I had it with a bubble waffle cone and so glad I did. Here they also make a cookie ice cream sandwich, and so much more. If you are near or far you must come here. It is awesome...