“Excellent Excellent Excellent”

Price range: US$23 - US$39
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, International, Canadian, Wine Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Toronto
Description: After almost twenty-five years, The Monkey Bar continues to be praised by patrons and critics alike. Proprietor and classically-trained chef Richard Fox-Revett, formerly of Centro, Splendido and The Four Seasons Yorkville, offers a menu that is a flavourful fusion of Canadian, Italian, French and Asian influences, and includes seafood, meat, and vegetarian dishes. The atmosphere is inviting and the service is impeccable. Enjoy a pre-dinner drink from our specialty cocktail menu, or a selection from our broad list of premium vodka and single malt scotch. An extensive wine list, featuring new and old world wines by the glass, half litre and bottle, complements your dining experience. In addition, all our desserts are made in-house. We even provide a children’s menu for the little ones. Our full menu is also available for takeout. The Monkey Bar offers upscale cuisine at affordable prices, all just steps from your front door. Rediscover North Toronto’s favourite neighbourhood restaurant.
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We had dinner at Monkey Bar last night. We are all foodies and have dined across Africa Europe and the USA.
This is simply great food. Richard (chef and owner) is very creative and will delight your pallet. Had the romain salad, outstanding, the veal chop was tender and delicious followed by the apple strudel which was the best I've had anywhere.
The portions are generous and the price was very good. You will not be disappointed.

Date of visit: September 2013
Melissa F, Owner at The Monkey Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

You are very kind! We hope to see you again very soon.

Write a reviewReviews (122)

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Expertly prepared, honest good food has stood the test of time, especially in this very competitive and fastidious neighborhood. Chef Richard Fox-Revett's family owned and operated little gem is a place I am proud to be a patron. In a time of pertinacious TV celebrity executive chefs that are often too cool for school, this man still helps polish cutlery after dinner service...

Date of visit: May 2013

How nice! Thank you for taking the time to post your favourable review. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

A friend introduced me to this restaurant years ago. I love the updated décor. The food is always prepared with extra care. I like to try vegetarian dishes and their tofu / lentil / veggie dish is a delight to the palate. Lots of food - I never go home hungry! Appears to be family owned and I found the service to be attentive. Water glass filled regularly without asking and the food was served quickly but I never felt rushed. I have tried many dishes over the years and have never been disappointed.

Date of visit: March 2013
1  Thank RuthAnn1

We appreciate your kind words and your patronage. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Tonight a group of my friends (5) who have been meeting at my house in this neighbourhood and going out for dinner 4-5 times a year went to this restaurant tonight .The food was wonderful however the service was lacking with a very surly unsmiling waitress. When she was asked about how the veal was prepared she replied " on a plate with no breading."
She never smiled and when one of the party asked for more bread she put it at the end of the from the person who had asked for it. When we left we asked if she could take a picture of our group because it was our last outing together in this area. I turned around to see the chef and other waitress/bartender making derogatory faces at us. We are all women in our 60's and have frequented many other restaurants in this area over the last 20 years. My message to the owners is " your food is great, your service stinks.

Date of visit: March 2013
Melissa F, Owner at The Monkey Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Oh dear. That doesn't sound like us at all. Your server indeed sounds surly and I'm sorry. I can't imagine what could have gotten in to her. But, as for the chef and other waitress making derogatory faces, I just can't picture that at all. The chef is also the owner and I can pretty much guarantee that on a Thursday night in April, we are all very grateful for your patronage. Please give us another chance.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I frequent the restaurant as often as I can. The chef is very accommodating to particular requests. His chickpea crusted shrimp is delicious and the veal chop is probably the best in the city. For desert a must is the apple strudel and or warm bananas. All in all a great culinary experience.

Date of visit: December 2012

Thank you very much! Your kind words mean a lot to us. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.