“Somewhat Mixed”

Cuisines: Italian, Persian
Neighbourhood: North York
Neighbourhood: North York
Reviewed October 15, 2017

Without venturing into the Persian/Iranian debate, our first introduction to the typical meals from this region was somewhat mixed. Sahar our kind and patient server was a font of knowledge and very helpful. We ended up with traditional dishes, Dizy, Kobideh and Tadig- 1/2 and 1/2. Dizy is essentially a lamb knuckle stew - more broth than ragout. I found it bland. Kobideh is a ground beef skewer, tasty and served with a fragrant saffron basmati. Good. The Tadig is rice crust served with 2 types of veal stew - thicker this time and flavourful although crispy rice, somewhat burned on purpose, takes getting used to. Service was good and meals were served quickly. The meals together with a glass of wine and a beer came to $ 66. Fair value for the portions. There's late night entertainment and I was told people actually get up and dance...

Reviewed October 3, 2017 via mobile

3 of us went to dinner and ordered different typical Persian dishes. The lamb shish kebab was bland and so were the rest of the dishes, the rice was good and so was the service. The bill came to $90. There are many places in the Yonge and Steeles area that serve a better Middle Eastern meal.

Reviewed October 2, 2017

First time here. Visited on a Saturday night around 9pm with a group of 5 on their small patio.

Atmosphere / Location: Located on busy Yonge street but thankfully has parking behind the building. Can be easy to miss among the strip of plazas and other shops. Very dim on the inside and there was karaoke that night. Might have been distracting but we sat outside.

Service: Gazi was our server and he was great! Very friendly, attentive, and had a good sense of humour. Only works Saturdays so catch him if you can.

Food: Started with their 'Mirza Ghasemi'. Good, but more 'wet' than I would have liked. Prefer the one at North Restaurant up the street - also more flavourful there. For the main, tried their 'Vaziri' with chicken thigh/leg instead of chicken breast. Rice portion could have been more considering the ample meat! Chicken and koobideh were both cooked perfectly - juicy and delicious. The mains are big enough to share (and considering the price, they better be!).

Value: Pretty darn expensive, much like North Restaurant. Would rather get take-out from other 'Persian' spots, which are equally delicious, but only for a fraction of the price.

Overall, better to make a trip downtown for tastier Persian restaurants at a much more affordable price. Compared to North Restaurant, I'd prefer to go there instead - has a larger patio, bigger interior space, better decor, and equally good food.

Reviewed August 23, 2017

I decided to try something new and got a pick-up meal in this restaurant. I got a "taste" of service immediately when I came in to get my food: the waitress told me that next time I must come through back door. The food was bland and overpriced, the flatbread cold and it tasted like store-made. You may be sure there won't be a next time, my dear.

Reviewed July 3, 2017 via mobile

During our vacation in Toronto, so far this has been the best Resturant from food and service stand point so far. In general all places we visited were so bad in service and the food was ok. Zaffaron by far exceeded them all, but of course fell short with all Detroit area middle eastern restaurants. The sultani plate was good and also their chicken breast meal.

1  Thank Sarmad K