“Amazing greek fare!!!”
Review of Mamakas

Mamakas
Reserve with OpenTable
Mamakas is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #136 of 9,819 Restaurants in Toronto
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed February 13, 2018

Tried out Mamakas with a friend and wasn't disappointed. This is a sharing menu type of restaurant however if you're really hungry you may be able to polish off a main on your own ... maybe.

Ordered the Goat Tartare for my started and it was one of THE best tartares I have ever had. Everything was perfectly seasoned and the bed of goat cheese underneath was amazing. Had the roasted chicken with a side of roasted Brussels sprouts ... for anyone who ever hated Brussels sprouts growing up, say hello to this dish! The sprouts were out of this world and the feta foam that accompanied it was to die for. Finished off dinner with the Apple Bougatsa which was beyond delicious.

Reviewed February 9, 2018 via mobile

I’ve been to Mamakas 3 times and been consistently blown away by the deliciousness of the offerings. By far, the best Greek restaurant I’ve ever been to. The standard Greek menu items are more flavorful, elevated, and simply just done better than I’ve ever seen. The tzatzki, Kopanisti, spanakopita, saganaki(with persimmon and sage!!!) are all incredible and that is just to start. The wine list is a nice offering of Greek wines. Service is always good. The biggest advice I would give is to go....but have a reservation.
And afterwards cross the street for dessert at Bang Bang for an ice cream sammie!

Reviewed February 6, 2018

Pros: Food is very good, flavourful, a friend told us to have the chicken - it was DELICIOUS - ( shortrib on the other hand was very small portion) , flat bread delicious, servers work together so service is good, quirky interesting decor, cool vibe, remind your older relatives that the bathroom is co-ed,

Cons: seating both distance from other guests and type of seating ( narrow wooden chairs so not too great for taller, larger folk) , wine suggestion was flat out BAD, better to say nothing than for the server to promote a $90+ bottle of wine that is slightly better than my father-in-law's homemade vintage, and in regard to seating time it's understandable if you have a wait list, and are packed, but when the table next to us is open all night it doesn't look legit, imo not genuine nor friendly reception - servers were pleasant and accommodating - but I guess if there is not tip involved the host/managers don't see the value in being gracious nor genuine-- again imo and maybe a bad night for them because many other reviewers find the overall service very positive

If I lived in the area would visit again. But since we made a special trip for a birthday from north Toronto area, would not visit again.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed February 3, 2018

Went here with some friends in December, and as usual the place did not disappoint!

Food was excellent, service was very good. Server made some great recos off the menu that ended up being delicious.

Would highly recommend the Fish (believe it was Sea Bream), the lamb and the Octopus. The dips and the Brussel sprouts as a side were great as well. The brussel sprouts were so good we ordered a second round.

Only thing I didn't love is the potatoes - thought they would be greek potatoes but ended up just being french fries - they were good - just not what I was expecting.

It's not a cheap meal, but would say it's worth every penny - would return again!

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed January 31, 2018 via mobile

I booked this place for an early birthday dinner for me and a friend—6pm, so I could enjoy a long evening after work. It was my third time here, and after tonight I’ll never go back. My friend and I had travelled together twice in Greece, so this up scale and modernized take on traditional Greek food seemed just right. My friend had just been diagnosed with cancer, and we wanted to celebrate my birthday somewhere special before her treatment began. They were out of our favorite app, the fried smelts. But the dips were awesome. Homemade flat bread, to die for. Cocktail-an amazingly subtle Mistika based drink. Side dishes can in a steady stream, keeping us happy and filling us up slowly. All was well until the waiter, a bit socially awkward and a fast talker, leaned in close to let us know that “the next reservation is coming in 10 minutes”. Our last dish hadn’t been there that long. There were empty tables all around us. We were shocked. We dropped a chunk of change on that meal, and we were being asked to pay up and leave. I have never felt so rudely treated in a place of that caliber. What a shame!

1  Thank Minda92