“Cuban sandwich? What a joke!”
Review of La Cubana

La Cubana
Ranked #537 of 8,898 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Cuban
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 8 July 2017 via mobile

Have the people who run this place actually ate an authentic cubano?

This is closer to grilled cheese with a slice of store bought deli ham and pork thrown in, not even Cuban style bread.

If you have had an enjoyed a cubano sandwich from Tampa or Miami and are expecting to enjoy one here you will be sadly disappointed.

If however a posh grilled cheese is what your after then it's not bad.

Reviewed 1 July 2017 via mobile

We love the Ossington Theater next door. This 2nd time we lunch here and loved the juices Mango and Guava. Then large plate of 1/4 Chicken with brown rice and red coleslaw. The Short rib plate was soooo good and saucy. The donuts did not last that late in Sat lunch time. We'll come again!

Reviewed 14 June 2017 via mobile

Um yum. The conch fritters have a little cheese in the middle which I've never had before. And what about those yuca fries?! Did I say yum?!

Reviewed 29 May 2017

It was undeniably the greatest black bean soup I've had to date, and the avacado salad was a piece of art too, except that I forgot what palm hearts are and had an awkward time eating them until I finally asked a passing server what they were. Note: Palm hearts aren't delicious. But I know they're healthy. It took some self-convincing.

Also - "Tostones" are twice fried plantains - So in love!

Reviewed 26 April 2017 via mobile

My boyfriend and i went to la cubana after a long day walking around Toronto. The place is small but welcoming. The menu is not extensive and mainly pork chicken and vegeterian. I took the chicken platter and my boyfriend the pork shoulder served with rice and beans. Loved the rice and beans - plantain unfortunatly was not available anymore. The chicken was ok but expect better. Coktails are very good and the price is around 12 cad each.

Overall satisfied as portions are abundant.