“Great beer, great service, great music!”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Canadian, Bar, Grill
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 15 July 2016 via mobile

We stopped here for a mid-exploring break! The staff were amazingly friendly and gave us some great suggestions on where to visit next (including the wonderful aquarium! See other review!) we had some tasty fries, listened to some great music and left feeling happy and rested! (And just a little tipsy).

Reviewed 29 June 2016

On a hot June day in Toronto, I was looking for a restaurant near Yonge and Bloor for my elderly relative and me. A lot of restaurants were closed because it was Monday. We discovered Spirits Bar and Grill by accident.

Judging from the outside (with its nice-looking back and front patios) I feared the place would be too upscale or "cool" for what we wanted. We didn't want to eat outside--it was far too hot and muggy. The inside of the restaurant was, however, somewhat dismaying. The tables and chairs were very rundown and worn out. There was a Euro soccer game playing loudly, along with music. I found the environment rather hyper-stimulating, and wondered if we had chosen the wrong place.

However, the service was prompt, attentive, and friendly. My companion got a special rate on the house wine (which I think was a cabernet merlot), and I had a good pinot grigio. We each ordered a salad--I had the kale and quinoa; my companion had spinach and goat cheese. Each salad was quite large, and very fresh and well made. We also shared an order of sweet potato fries, which were excellent. (The only drawback was the aioli which came with it--it tasted suspiciously like a creamy salad dressing.)

All in all, this was a very pleasant meal. The soccer game commentary was eventually turned down, so the noise level was tolerable. Total cost was quite reasonable. And because we ate early, the restaurant was not at all full, so we didn't feel crowded or overwhelmed.

Based on this meal, I can recommend this restaurant, if you are in the Church Street Village area.

Reviewed 14 June 2016

This place was quite busy on a Friday night, but not bursting at the seems. We waited a short time for a table on the Patio due to our party size, but it wasn't long at all. Beer selection is great. The waitstaff also answered our plethora of questions and made some great suggestions. Most of the places we visited had mediocre Poutine made with shredded cheese (why?), but this place had multiple Poutine choices and it was made with cheese curds! Atmosphere was easy going and all in all a great little place to duck into for a bite and a beer with friends.

Reviewed 1 June 2016

I came in a couple of times on a warm late May evening to have a couple of beers. It seemed half of the beers on tap were unavailable which is disappointing, and at a time were inventory management is crucial for any bar or restaurant, a little surprising. The beer I eventually had was very good but the service seemed disinterested.

Reviewed 24 January 2016

The food was decent but nothing special. Great patio in the summer, but poor service out there. It seems like they are constantly understaffed and the servers always look frazzled when it's busy. Worth a visit in the summer just because of the patio, but overall pretty underwhelming and overpriced.