“Yes this is a hole-in-the-wall restaurant.”
Review of Dumpling House

Dumpling House
Ranked #109 of 8,947 Restaurants in Toronto
Price range: US$6 - US$10
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Reviewed 28 August 2017

That is the first thing that came to my mind when I stood in front of this place. Then when I walked a little closer I can see a few workers working away at making dumplings for the restaurant. I must admit, it’s nice to watch them make all the dumplings. Most Asian restos do this to bring people in and it certainly caught my attention. Hmmmm…. Not wearing gloves so are their hands clean? Looking in, the entire seating area is full. I guess their food is good here so we decided to go in.

So yeah, walking in it’s still a hole-in-the-wall. On the right they prep and cook all the dumplings. Straight ahead down a small narrow walkway is the seating area. Crammed and packed – well it’s the weekend right? We had to sit beside strangers because all the tables in the middle of the restaurant are side-by-side. Behind the seating area is the full kitchen area and another walkway towards the washroom. Do not use the washroom unless you absolutely have to!

Getting on with the food – It takes a while for the food to arrive on a busy day maybe at least 20 - 30 minutes if eating there on the weekend. When the food arrives it completely changes your impression about the place.

We ordered:
House Special Noodle ($7.99) – Stir-fried noodle with all the proteins in brown sauce. What’s the brown sauce? Don’t ask, don’t tell, but it was pretty good. Taste like it may have hoisin sauce in there.

Beef With Broccoli ($9.99) – Cooked very well, not swimming in the “brown sauce”. Broccoli was crispy.

Pork & Chinese Cabbage Dumpling ($7.99) – 15 pieces for $7.99 is a really good deal. Add a little chili oil for extra flavouring and it just makes the dish right.

Fried Shrimp & Pork Dumpling ($8.59) – When it’s pan fried in oil, it completely changes the taste of the dumpling. For 12 pieces it is still a great deal.

So it might look like a hole-in-the-wall from the outside looking-in and inside looking-in but the food is why everyone waits in line to eat here. Just so you know, if you’re leaving a tip it will not go to the servers. It goes straight to the owner who operates the cashier. After all, it is cash payment only.

For more food reviews and blogging, check out my blog listed in my profile.

Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

Small crowded place but excellent hand made dumplings. Ladies are making the dumplings by the door when you come in. We tried them fried and they were really good. Service is kind of straight forward and the owners have military discipline for their staff but we didn't mind. They don't serve any alcohol in this place. Great place for lunch.

Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

It was a quiet Thursday afternoon, and we stopped here for dumplings after a walk through Kensington. The place came highly recommended by Toronto friends, and the food was actually quite good. The fried dumplings were more flavorful than the steamed ones, but hey aren't they always? A little soy or chili sauce and it's all good.

We even had a floor show!

A lady That appeared to be the owner, got into a heated argument with some of the staff, right in the middle of the dining room! Yes! And it went on, and on, and on... finally a customer from another table got up and told her to knock it off. She simmered down but obviously the issue was not resolved, as people were running back and forth from the front kitchen to the back room in obvious distress. Such drama, it was like a Korean soap opera, but no swords!

The food was good, just keep your head down.

Reviewed 13 August 2017

We could not believe this and thought we were on a hidden camera realty show. We were hosting two US guest at arrived right at 11 am once it opened. We were the only table for about 15 minutes and the lady owner was deep in discusssion with as a
two staff members. . All in mandarin, we did not understand her, but within a few minutes she raised her voice, accelerated her tone and started the finger pointing and hand gestures.

At this time, another table of 5 caucasians came in and sat down and looked at the menu. The owner was stil yelling at her staff as she stood right in the middle of the restaurant right next to the table of the new guests. The new guests sheepishly looked and her with the hope that it was going to stop shortly.

Her yelling continued and was very loud. Angrily, the one ma guest got up and said "stop your yelling now". She stopped for 2 minutes and did not move and resumed her yelling. We thanked the GE tleman foe boldly sat ding up. We thought the owner was going to bring a gun out at her staff as she was that angry!

We quickly finished our dinner and was disgusted. Not only was this an embarrasssment for my guest, but was very uncomfortable. We atill don't have any idea what she was screaming about.

Sure, it was entertaining but totally unnecessary and inappropriate.

The food by the way as just good. We wo t be going g back there with the fear that she will stab or shoot the staff and customers.

2  Thank Creakingfloor2014
Reviewed 10 August 2017

I was here at the Dumpling House, I truly can say, this place is perfect to have a delicious dumpling. The place was pretty neat because you can watch the dumplings being made. I am really enjoying the time that I was here, not only for the food but also, because of the nice friendly staffs and relaxing ambiance. I personally recommend this place to you.