“Anniversary dinner”

ALO RESTAURANT
Ranked #5 of 9,296 Restaurants in Toronto
Price range: US$68 - US$98
Neighbourhood: Queen Street and West Queen West
Description: Hospitality [hos-pi-tal-i-tee] Origin: French; Hospitalite; The quality or disposition of receiving and treating guests and strangers in a warm, friendly, generous way. Alo [‘a.lo] Origin: Latin; Alui altum; To nourish, cherish, support, sustain, maintain and keep. It is our intention to get back to the roots of hospitality. We want each and every guest to feel welcome in our home, and that home is ALO. A destination for classically prepared, meticulously thought out French food and service. This no-nonsense approach to fine dining with our combined experience working behind-the-scenes at some of the world’s best restaurants has led us to this point. We welcome you to ALO. Chef Patrick Kriss & General Manager Amanda Bradley
Reviewed September 6, 2017 via mobile

Food was so beautiful and tasty. We sat at the chef's table and did the wine pairing as well. Christopher the sommelier was great. Highly reccomend but save up not cheap!!!

Reviewed September 5, 2017

Everything about this lovely, intimate bar is delightful. The ambiance, food, service and cocktails.
Cannot say enough about the menu or the martinis.
Thank you for a wonderful experience, soon to be repeated.

Reviewed September 4, 2017

Had the tasting menu and it was pretty good. My main issue with this restaurant is that is tries to be a Michelin star restaurant, which to be honest I think if Toronto had a guide it may get a star or two, however it doesn't really do anything unique. It seemed to be going through the motions of a fancy restaurant without any unique touch on the food or the service. So if you're a Torontonian, coming to Alo is a great experience. You probably won't get better food. You may get better service as the service was nothing special, not saying it's bad, just not special. However, if you've traveled a bit, and are just visiting Toronto for a few days, I wouldn't stress and try to get a reservation here. There are more unique places to eat and Alo may just seem like a repeat of Lasarte, Daniel's, Grace, etc.

3  Thank Paul X
Reviewed August 21, 2017

This restaurent is great with excellent food menus.Personalized services are also great.Services and ambience is quite fantastic.

Reviewed August 20, 2017 via mobile

There's a reason that Alo is the top-rated restaurant in a city of thousands of restaurants. It's not just a meal, it's a culinary journey. I scoffed at the sheer snobbiness of needing to reserve my table 60 days in advance at the stroke of midnight. Not 59 days, not 61 days. 60 days. But, I get it now - with only 13 tables and about 2 seatings per table (you're capped at 3 hours, and we used our full 3 hours), it all makes sense. I'll avoid spoilers, but will suggest the following:

- Go with the wine pairings. It'll add a lot to your bill, but their sommelier was brilliant, passionate and the wines truly complimented each dish. 8 "tastings" worked out to about 3.5 glasses of wine. Plan ahead and Uber or taxi home.

- It's a tasting menu of small plates, but it's enough food that you'll leave full.

- The best service I've received in my lifetime at a restaurant. Nearly a different person brought out each dish and described its elegance. I'm not exaggerating: if merely one droplet of condensation dripped from my glass on to the table, someone was by shortly to dab it up. Napkins were folded the moment you left the table to use the restroom... and you choose from a selection of napkins at the start of the meal. Unreal.

In summary, DETAILS. It's what makes this super expensive meal totally worthwhile. And, the staff were humble and appreciative of feedback, questions and compliments so you never felt out of place even at this classy, classy joint. Strongly recommend!

2  Thank NMP007