“One of the best restaurants on the Danforth”
Review of Mambo Lounge

Mambo Lounge
Ranked #1,168 of 9,695 Restaurants in Toronto
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Cuban
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: East End
Description: Mambo Lounge, a delightful place for Cuban music, food and Mojito lovers.Traditional dishes are well matched with contemporary cuisine in a succulent menu that combines an excellent variety of options. Not only does our well combined and tasteful cooking style make people return, but also our intimate and cozy atmosphere and splendid music attract those who come to Mambo Lounge. Basking in the warm summer breeze on our casual patio, you can enjoy either a chilled beer or glass of wine. And moreover, our staff will provide you with a professional and friendly service, turning your stay in a priceless experience.
Reviewed February 13, 2017

My partner and I almost always suggest Mambo Lounge on the Danforth for special events, whether it is guests from out of town, a birthday or family event or even a date night. This past December, I held my Xmas staff party here for 14 people and not only was the food, drink and service spectacular, they had a wonderful performer singing, dancing and passing the maracas around. which really amped up the fun factor. Everyone had a fantastic time and said they definitely would return. We recently returned for a date night and were wowed as usual with the entire experience.

Whether you are in the mood for something light like a few delicious tapas and a mojito (or my favourite drink, the "El Presidente"), or want an entree like the filet mignon or seared tuna, you will not be disappointed. Everything is prepared lovingly and if you have room for dessert, the caramel flan is one of the best I've tasted. The warmth and friendliness of the staff will keep you returning to that little taste of Cuba on the Danforth.

1  Thank BrianJPhillips

Reviewed December 19, 2016

Mambo features Cuban food and drinks in a cosy spot on the Danforth. We were there for lunch during a dramatic snow storm last week. The food was good, if a little too salty.

1  Thank familyltravel
Reviewed December 16, 2016 via mobile

I LOVE this place! No matter how bad or stressful your day is, it always gets better when you come here. I always start with a mojito, which are the best I have had & much better than the ones in Cuba. ( probably due to the generous amount of fresh mint )
The atmosphere is warm and welcoming ( as are the staff, including the owner who always greets his customers). The food is delicious and you will find true Cuban food, including ropa vieja, yuca, congri, Cuban style chicken, duck & lamb. If you have room they also have yummy desserts.
If you go on Friday or Saturday nights you will really be transported to Cuba with the live music. Depending on the crowd, sometimes customers join in with the music or start dancing!
A great night out!

Reviewed November 27, 2016 via mobile

My partner and I had basically just returned from a beautiful 10 day vacation in (as we refer it as), our 2nd home. We have made so many friends in Cuba, it's like going "home".

Of course we miss the country and our friends. It was my Partners birthday and when I said to pick a place to for his dinner, he showed me Mambo Lounge he found on the internet. Needless to say, this night (Sat Nov 26) they were having a special evening, "Cuban Carnival" with a "prix fixe" of $30 per person.

We were able to book our reservation on line, we chose 7:30pm and received an email confirmation; Great!!

We arrived at 7:10pm and were greeted by the most gracious host. As soon as he said hello we knew he was from Cuba.

There was only 1 other couple in the Restaurant at that time so we were told we could sit anywhere we liked. He showed us where the performers would be, so chose a table close by.

Our host informed us that the show does not start till close to 8pm, but they would get to work to make us some Yuca.

We were asked what we would like to drink, and the suggestion was Mojitos. How could we say No to Cuba's national drink.

The drinks arrived alongside a plate which consisted of Tostones, Yuca frittas, and croquettes. The Yuca was crisp, and just the right amount of salt, the croquettes had their own special "kick" and the tostones were perfect.

Our server then arrived and asked if we would like more Mojitos, although we could quite easily have said No Thank you, we ordered 2 more.

Guests finally started arriving as this evening was by reservation only. We saw others turned away at the door as they did not have reservations.

The food finally started to arrive around 8:30, thank goodness as we were both starving by this point.

Although I have not seen what this $30 per plate consisted of, these are Cubans, I know we will be delighted with our menu.

The meal started with a mixed green salad with mango and avocado and a not too sweet dressing.

Then it was the "Desfile del cerdo" (parade of the BBQ pork)

The main dish was true in Cuban fashion. Pork, chicken, rice and beans and tostones (fried plantain). I would have preferred to have a nice mojo on my pork, it was still very tender.

The entertainment (Cuban Carnival) was a singer on guitar and a gentleman on bongos. Just before when I thought dessert would be served, the music picked up pace, enter 2 dancing girls, reminiscent of those you would find at the Tropicana in La Habana!

Guests were handed maracas so they could keep the momentum of the music going.

Dinner has ended, no dessert, no coffee. We both were looking forward to a nice Cuban flan or at least possibly the typical dessert of Guava and cheese.

Remember, this was a Birthday dinner, and I advised our host of this during conversation. I guess they don't recognize birthdays here.

It was an interesting evening, the atmosphere was good, the lighting was too dim, and for a "prix fixe", I should have been made aware what I was getting for $30 per person.

Needless to say when we got our bill, I had the shock of my life. We both had seen advertised $5 Mojitos, oh no, try closer to $10 and when we kept getting asked "Another Mojito?", "Comeon, it's a fun evening", I figured why not. After all it is a Birthday celebration.

I am giving 3 stars as I was not happy that I did not see or was told what the price included, yes my fault, but it should have been either advertised or explained.

Will we be back? Possibly, but on a regular evening when I can choose what I am ordering and keep a closer eye on my budget.

It was a fun evening, however we both feel when Cubans are out of Cuba, they are friendly, just not the same as in Cuba.

1  Thank Brian H
Reviewed October 17, 2016 via mobile

Went out for my sis in laws bday. They had live music and the gentleman was really good. They gave out maracas which was fun.

The owner I believe was the bar tender and he made great drinks and made sure we were happy and well served.

As for the food, appetizers were great! We had shrimp, chorizo, crab cake and kasava fries. All were so good!!! The shredded bees entree was good but my chicken dish lacked flavour. Didn't exactly taste BBQed. The rice and beans it came with was delicious. Everyone thought the portions were a bit too small. We had the coconut flan for dessert, which is the only house made dessert and we all enjoyed it.

1  Thank KFuentes4