“Nose dived since last visit!”
Review of Mi Casita

Mi Casita
Ranked #266 of 811 Restaurants in Windsor
Cuisines: Central American
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Reviewed 17 November 2014

A friend and I decided to go for a bite and were close to Mi Casita so we decided to stop in. We decided to sit by the window and I had couldn't help but notice how filthy the window ledges were. There was rice lodged in the salt shaker and crumbs everywhere. I can eat anywhere however so I decided to ignore that and reviewed the menu.
I originally wanted the Chili Relleno with just cheese but they only had pork so I went with a vegetarian burrito.
Good Points: The service is great, the man who served us and worked the bar was extremely welcoming and personable. Restaurant design inside also is quite appropriate to the theme of the restaurant. The Burrito was good but really wasn't out of the ordinary, it was missing black beans despite being mentioned in the description of the dish. Their hot sauce is great too, sweet to start and a nice spicy finish.

Bad Points: The beans. I have to say they were far more liquidy than I remembered. Absolutely no consistency to them whatsoever. Flavour was o.k but I still doused them in hot sauce. The free salsa is my other issue, it looked like water with bits of tomatoes and cilantro. It had EXTREMELY mild flavour and I found it frustrating that there was nothing to scoop on the chips. In essence you are just saturating the chips with liquid.

Overall, the server / bartender was extremely pleasant and welcoming, attentive, and quick. The food however left much to be desired.

Reviewed 18 September 2014

I do understand why some people might be disappointed by this place, depending on their expectations, but I love it. When you first go in, you might find only one or two tables occupied, a Cuban soap opera filmed in Miami or a soccer match on the TV. If there are customers, they will probably be newcomers to Canada. I trust a place that has customers from the culture whose food they are serving!

The person who will eventually wait on you might be in the back and take a few minutes to come out. But once they know you're there, they will treat you very well. The food is always fresh, authentic (Salvadoran), and delicious. Plus the prices are VERY reasonable. Also I like their horchata better than that of any other Latin American cuisine in Windsor. It is made from morro seeds native to El Salvador, not rice or almond like some orgeat.

If you are the more adventuresome type who can forgive the odd service oversight here and there and don't mind that feeling of a struggling family-owned place, do give Mi Casita a try.

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Don't judge the place from the outside. It doesn't like look like much but the food was great. The service was friendly, helpful and pretty fast.
I had a Groupon and wanted to try it out. The nachos were amazing, pupusas and quesadillas.
Worth trying and will go back!!

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

I've had their margaritas, nachos, papusas, tacos with rice and beans...All of their food is delicious and priced well!

My favorites are the nachos, papusas and margaritas:)

Must try!!!!

Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

My first impression was that there were very few people working. We waited a bit to be greeted and when the server came over asked us what we wanted to drink but had no idea what they offered. I got a margaritas and waited about 10 minutes for it. I noticed there was not a large selection especially as a vegetarian. I ordered the burrito with no meat and a side of guac. The free salsa was ok, the chips were all broken up and small. We waited about 40 more mins before our plates arrived. My burrito was delicious, the rice was delish with some hot sauce and the beans were liquidy but still flavourful. Overall, if you overlook the slow service , the food was pretty good and worth the 18 dollars I paid for the entire meal.