“Good hotel, but nothing much around”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Rodd Royalty

Rodd Royalty
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Charlottetown
Toronto
“Good hotel, but nothing much around”
Reviewed 15 November 2011

The hotel room was clean. Washroom basic and decent. Served good breakfast in the morning. There was a mall walkable distance from the hotel, but away from downtown and attractions. Decent place to relax. Would prefer a more central place next time. Good place for the price paid.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I will start off by saying that there is not a lot of choice in Charlottetown. Thus, my review should be read in that context. It may be one of the better hotels but I have only stayed in one other and it came a poor second to that.

What did I like? I really liked the bed. It was nice and it was very comfortable. End of story (and again, if that is all you want then the Rodd is for you). I did want to watch some television but it was quite complex, with two remotes to be used to get the thing to start. It didn't. This is where I had problems. I asked at the front desk only to be told that `this happens a lot.' No help was forthcoming, although it was promised. Night two I asked again. I was told that the maintenance guy had been called. 1 hour later, around 10:30 at night I phoned down to tell him to forget it. I solved the problem myself by removing the cable from a box to which it was attached and plugged it directly into the television. I got just as many channels as promised and NOW I could finally watch television.
The other problems I had was that the breakfast was one of the worse I have ever encountered. Yes, you do get breakfast but if you don't expect too much then I guess it is okay.
The hotel struck me as a party hotel, with tons of people going from room to room with booze (a plus for party types -- so long as you can find a party that is; not so great for other guests). Staff were amused by the parties but did nothing to quieten down the noise levels. A consequence of the party atmosphere was that the car park was filled to capacity and it was hard to park close to the hotel -- not so great if it is pouring of rain (it was!!).
So bottom line. Good bed. No television. Not very good breakfast and Party Central. If that is for you then book into the Rodd. If not then `spare the rodd' and spoil your inner child by staying elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank kakha
Mount Uniacke
Reviewed 17 October 2011

The bed was the most comfortable ever. The linens were so luxurious that I felt like a queen.
I wanted to stay there forever. Very conveniently placed for shopping. Ample parking for
cars, and if I bring my truck and horse trailer, there is room in back. The room was equipped with everything I would ever want, highspeed internet, tv, phone, free local calls, microwave, frig.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Pam T
Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed 3 October 2011

If you haven't been invited to the party, this hotel is not for you! Yes, the hotel rooms have been haphazardly renovated (i.e. closet doors off their hinges) but you can't change the existing structure----small rooms, tiny bathrooms, dingy stairwells and people running up and down the corridors, in and out of the rooms at all hours of the night. Again it is the overall impression that counts and that includes all the small things that contribute to the entire experience. So here is our experience:

The television:
Good news: once you figured out how to make it work, there were many channels.
Bad news: figuring out how to make it work! When we called the front desk for instructions, we were told that we weren't the first guests to have a problem, although the desk clerk did say that she would find an empty room and see if she could "practice and guide us through the instructions". Well, we never heard back, so that evening called down again, only to be told that this was a maintenance issue and involved unplugging cables at the back of the television and moving them around. Eventually we gave up and managed to figure it out by day two.

Breakfast:
Good news that it was free.
Bad news is that it was terrible, what there was of it---boiled and peeled eggs in a hot water bath..okay, I know it was free but what was available was not replenished quickly at all (yoghurts, muffins, coffee, cutlery)....the eggs, however, were plentiful!

Parking:
good news, it was free
Bad news: almost impossible to find a parking space!

Staff:
Good news, they were all very friendly, especially the housekeeping staff.

Beds:
Very comfortable but still difficult to sleep with all the hall activity.

I think the problem is that this hotel markets itself to hockey teams (indoor pool with water slide should have been our first clue) and groups of people attending onsite parties. The renovations may have taken place but they seem to be more cosmetic. I am not sure what else could actually be done.

If price matters, this hotel is okay for a night or two but I think it might be worth it to check around and spend the extra money to stay at the Holiday Inn Express just down the road.

Room Tip: Maybe not in the main building?
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Katchapuri
Chatham, Canada
Reviewed 25 September 2011

My boyfriend and I travelled to the Maritimes for a week in September, and for both nights we stayed in PEI, we stayed at this hotel. We got a very good price for the room and would not hesitate to stay here again!

It has been recently renovated, so our room was clean, modern, and updated. The bed was soft and comfortable, one of the best night's sleep I have ever gotten in a hotel. There was a nice flat screen TV, and a couch and coffee table and small loveseat by the bed which was very nice. The room also had a fridge and microwave which was great for food on the go. The bathroom was smaller but once again, clean and updated. The pool was great, and the waterslide was a lot of fun, even for adults! The hot tub was new and nice. The staff were very friendly and helpful too.

The hot breakfast was pretty good. It was pretty standard, and the food was fresh and hot.

The location of this hotel is abotu a five minute drive from downtown Charlottetown. There is a Sobey`s right behind the hotel, and several other chain stores. Walmart is also a walk away from the hotel. We found this convenient as we got food from Sobey`s when we didn`t feel like going out for supper and forgot a few items for our trip we just walked over to Walmart.

Overall, I would 100% reccomend this hotel for the value and the modern updates! Definitiely would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alyssa9889
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We stayed in this hotel in second week of Aug 2011.
This is a good hotel, the room are nice and clean, it seems are all renovated recently.
Pool is good with water slide. Gym is small but neat & clean.
Breakfast is included in room rent, now much choice. You must be very early at breakfast or you will find not much left.
Location is good.
Overall good experience.

2 Thank Manjinder D
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 28 August 2011

We recently stayed at the Rodd. We had a great experience here. This hotel is far superior in comparison to others in PEI. The rooms are clean and nicely decorated. The beds are very comfortable. The staff at the front desk are friendly and helpful. Hot breakfast is included and very good. Overall we have no complaints. Without a doubt we will go back to the Rodd Royalty Inn. Number 1 in our books.

1 Thank Kirkie161