“Like stepping into a dream!”
Review of The Great George

Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Charlottetown
Toronto, Canada
“Like stepping into a dream!”
Reviewed 16 October 2011

We've stayed at the Great George for 2 nights as our "Minimoon" and we couldn't have chosen a better hotel!
You walk into the lobby and you discover a world of pleasures. The decoration of the hotel is classic English style and you feel like you are back in the 19 century.
We got the Huges House and loved it! Everything in the room is new and comfortable, the bed is like sleeping on a cloud - we didn't want to wake up. But there's definitely something to wake up for, the breakfast. Amazing breakfast with so many things to choose from! The breakfast is served in the lobby and you get to enjoy the fine food and furniture with complimentary newspapers.
The service is another thing that will definitely make us go back to the great george. The staff is friendly and professional and will do ANYTHING you ask them to. Everyday they go between all the rooms to distribute ice and chocolates. Every day between 5pm and 6pm there's a guest reception, in which the staff serve you free wine and beer. Don't forget the complimentary fresh baked cookies and water all day long.
To sum up, staying at the Great George is not only a good stay - it's an experience of a life time! This is by far the best hotel in Charlottetown and the best I've ever stayed in.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the "houses" instead of the main building, you might have to add a bit to e...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elad D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 8 October 2011

I only stayed at this lovely hotel for one night, but the property "works" because it has nice elements of both a larger "chain" hotel and the charm of a well-run bed and breakfast (including a beer and wine happy hour, and the local beer is terrific, and a far above average continental breakfast with addictive baked goods). The rooms are outfitted in a nice antique-y style that compliment the property's historic underpinnings. Charlottetown, especially with this particular hotel, reminded me a lot of Dublin.

Room Tip: This is your perfect property if you like staying "in town" and you walk a lot.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Ontario
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Thie "Great George" calls itself a hotel, but many would call it an interesting collection of rooms for rent from a central desk in a pleasant building, sort of a B&B that includes a basic breakfast. Earlier this year I arranged to stay here through a travel company, for two nights in a room with a queen size bed for $532.52, with taxes. I was given the Wellington's Haviland Room, Room 683.

The room was small and a little cramped, but evidently, in something of a proud maritime tradition, it was well equipped with antiques, and the colours in the room were calming. The room was non-smoking and I did not smell smoke, so that was good.

I recall that the front desk staff were very nice. They were young, pleasant and eager to please. Also, the location in Charlottetown is unbeatable, in the best part of town.

Otherwise, for the price, it was a questionable venture. The buildings are well kept, but I encountered nothing that faintly resembled a luxurious setting. To get up to my room there were stairs to climb (something for people who don't do well with stairs to remember). The room itself was very dark, with the blind down, or it was full of light and without any privacy. There were no sheer curtains.

The shower in the bathroom was not very good. It was quite dangerous in fact, and would not be permitted where I come from. You could not raise your head to the shower without banging it on the ceiling. It was very strange.

Breakfast was OK, but it was also a little less than exciting. There was cereal and plain croissants were on offer. There were a small number of hard boiled eggs that people were grabbing like gold nuggets. (More eggs provided in another 15-20 minutes.) There was a small selection of fresh fruit and I remember a small number of plastic yogurt containers that were OK. There was toast and tea and coffee. It passed muster.

I can't say that I would stay here again, ever. Next time I come to Charlottetown, it's the Delta for me!

Room Tip: Insist upon a room that is up to standard by asking if there are any defects, such as a shower that...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank B L
GG58GGS, Director of Sales at The Great George, responded to this review, 27 October 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments regarding your stay at The Great George in Charlottetown. We are disappointed that your initial impressions were not positive. We appreciate all feedback and consider it an opportunity for improvement toward our ultimate goal of 100% guest satisfaction. I do apologize if it seemed that our breakfast wasn't quite as expected. With assorted baked muffins,cinnamon rolls, scones, two types of quiche, hard boiled eggs, toast, four varieties of bagels & english muffins, a selection of two cereals, a variety of cold yogurt, cheddar, fresh fruit, fruit salad, three types of juice, freshly brewed coffee plus a selection of teas, we are open to other suggested menu items. I'm pleased you found our team friendly and you also liked our location. With a variety of guestrooms as unique as our history The Great George appeals to those who shy away from conventional hotels. It is unfortunate that our guest service associate was not able to show you a variety of our other rooms so popular with repeat guests perhaps demonstrating that your experience at our hotel is very important to us. Again, we appreciate your business and hope that in the near future we will have an opportunity to provide you with the WOW experience that is our service standard.

Warmest Regards,

Michelle,
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 28 September 2011

The Great George Hotel lived up to its name. We had a front room view of the church, queen size pillow top bed and a shower and claw foot tub. Of course when you are in Charlottetown you do not spend much time in the room. We were traveling with three other couples and everyone was impressed with the helpfulness and genuine concern the employees expressed. We arrived for our first night at 4:00Am because of airline failure, but that is another story. The hotel check in was fast and we managed to get 4 hours of sleep The breakfast was varied abundant and tasty, I was not concerned wth the furniture. We had a quiet stay every night, however I do think there is a need for more parking.
The only problem we experienced was we were doubt billed for the same room. I had made reservations for the four couples one of which was for my son-in-law and daughter. Unfortunately, since his name was different from mine this seemed to confuse the bookkeeper. Any way he was billed the cost of the room when it had been paid 3 months earlier. After he returned home he noticed a charge for the room, he called me. When I first contacted the hotel the bookkeeper acted as if I was trying to cheat the hotel and she was very brisk when I talked to her. I called the travel agency and told them the problem and they contacted the hotel and the issue was resolved. The question remains in my mind however if the hotel room was paid in April why was it chagred again in July when we were there. The hotel never addressed this question, they just said his card had been credited.

Room Tip: The rooms in front have a great view of the church. If you can not get one of these. Then try to g...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank nighthawk779
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Many trans-con trips put me in Charlottetown close to midnight.

The Great George is a wonderful place to stay after a long day of travel, help me get re-charged as I continue my journey to more remote parts of PEI.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Yeovil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Stayed for 2 nights in the Wellington building , had a top floor suite ( 684), room well appointed, however king size bed was both very soft & not as big as we like, Reception & bell boy in particular were realy good- major down side was breakfast, had too squat on very low seating , which did not go well for us, pretty limited chioice of breakfast products- Parking was easy , however the courtyard surface ( block pavers) was badly laid & was an accident waiting to happen ie trips etc- must be remedied asap.
Noise was also an issue each night, where the local drunks appear to be challenging one another outside the large church across the road

Room Tip: Try to get a suite which faces the courtyard, at least you mifght get some sleep before dawn
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rogandrose C
Dear Rogandrose,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Great George. Since reading your review we have had a contractor in to fix our parking lot and have implemented breakfast trays for those who don't enjoy the more relaxed atmosphere. We certainly hope to welcome you back soon!

Michelle,
Winnipeg
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We recently stayed in Charlottetown and decided to splurg on a night at The Great George. I don't know if it is because it is not a huge hotel, but the staff in this hotel were awesome. I really felt like they cared about my experience in their city. Everything was easy here. Check-in was quick. Parking was easy to get to and included in the stay. We were upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite instead of a standard room, so that was a really nice surprise. Our room was located in a house next door to the main hotel building. It was very quiet. A bonus was that it had a washer and dryer and we were able to conveniently do some laundry (which we weren't expecting to be able to do.) The breakfast was lovely. It is not served at table, but more in the English style where you help yourself. There also is no dining tables, but everyone sits around low tables in comfy couches or lounge chairs. It was a very nice way to start the day. I had a great time in Charlottetown and I thought that if I went back I would definitely stay at The Great George and would consider staying there for the week in the type of accommodation that we had while there.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple