All reviews rooftop patio historic hotel dinner theater an older hotel old world charm rooms are small limited parking lots of character within walking distance front desk staff water pressure corner room hockey tournament central location location is great modern amenities water front
Reviewed September 26, 2018 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights. I wish I hadn’t. The room spelled every time I opened the door. Most of the furnishings were very old and uncomfortable. The bathroom was something from the time of Confederation of Canada. I had to close the door to be on the toilet. There is extremely limited counter space. My toiletry bag would not fit in the bathroom of the tiny shelf above the toilet, so I kept it in near the bed (inconvenient!). The tub had rust. The ceiling paint in the room was peeling. I couldn’t store my clothes in the closet because of old, musty odour. Temperature control was unreliable at best. The carpets must have known armies of wear.

The good parts of my stay were the free parking, the fast elevators and the good food served by the hotel.

Think carefully about how much old charm you can really stand to appreciate before choosing this hotel.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Elaine T, General Manager at Rodd Charlottetown, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2018

Dear East Coast Canada

We are so sorry to hear that you had such a disappointing experience with us recently and would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly so that we can make things right for you. We will be continuing with our renovations in the fall of this year concentrating first on guest washrooms and then on guest bedrooms. Our renovations will be spread over the next few years until all of our rooms have been updated. As we update our washrooms we are adding shelving to accommodate toiletries and refinishing tubs, tiles and plumbing in order to better serve the needs of our guests. Please contact us directly so that we can help resolve your concerns. We look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed September 25, 2018

The staff were disrespectful, rude, and incompetent, and no manager was present during the entire weekend. The hotel is rundown, very overpriced, and appears to be focusing on catering to a tour bus crowd. I have traveled the world for more than 50 years and this was one of the worst hotel stays I can recall. I would never stay here again or recommend the hotel to anyone.

Room tip: Find a different hotel.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Elaine T, General Manager at Rodd Charlottetown, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2018

Dear Wendy L

Please accept our sincere apologies for the disappointing experience you recently had with us. We would certainly appreciate the opportunity to better understand what went so wrong with your stay. We did have management coverage on over the weekend as we were quite busy with functions and available to assist with any concerns . We would really appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns appropriately if given the chance.

Reviewed September 19, 2018

Front desk staff excellent on arrival. Big kudos there. My room was located on the 4th floor with a nice view of the front. When I walked in I wasn't sure about it as I'm used to mostly modern, renovated hotels. It's definitely dated. The bed was super comfy, though, and overall it was fine. I wouldn't be caught dead in that bathtub, but the shower almost blew me across the room. I miss the good old days of no water conservation! What is it with hotels with inadequate lighting though? Good thing I had my iPad! The wifi was definitely slow at times, but was mostly ok. I liked the rooftop patio. The location was a big bonus. I ate breakfast there. Service and food were very good. No complaints at all.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Elaine T, General Manager at Rodd Charlottetown, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2018

Dear Julie S

I am very pleased to hear that you were welcomed to our hotel by our friendly front desk staff and that your stay with us was good. We have started renovating our guest bathrooms and will be continuing this process in the fall until all are complete and then will be refurbishing the bedrooms. Thanks for letting us know about the lighting as we can easily improve that to be more adequate. So glad that you got to relax on our rooftop patio and enjoy breakfast with us. We appreciate your feedback and recommendations and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed September 18, 2018

It's a beautiful old railway hotel that's been sort of upgraded. I loved the ambience but it could use more modernization. The beds were overly soft. The furniture, while it fit the surroundings, felt more old than old fashioned. Finally, if you want or need Wi-fi you have to be on the first floor because the higher you go the less well it works.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Elaine T, General Manager at Rodd Charlottetown, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2018

Dear Howard B

Thanks so much for your review and comments from your recent stay with us. We are very pleased that you enjoyed our older style CN hotel with all its character and ambiance. We started our renovations last year and will be continuing with them over the next few years until all guestrooms and bathrooms are updated. Our apologies that we had an access point for internet that needed to be replaced which caused our internet connection to be poor for a few days, This has been corrected and our internet is working very well now. We appreciate your feedback and we look forward to an opportunity to serve your accommodations needs again in the future.

Reviewed September 17, 2018

We have stayed at the historic Rodd Charlottetown Hotel on many occasions and have never been disappointed. As soon as we arrived, the front desk staff were extremely helpful, efficient and courteous. The room, as usual, was very comfortable, clean and inviting and the bed was probably the most comfortable we have ever slept in. We had two lady friends from Europe joining us on this trip and they also loved everything about the Rodd Hotel - the beautiful historic building, the lovely breakfasts, the friendliness of all the staff, and of course the very comfortable beds. The location of the hotel, on a beautiful tree lined street, is ideally located just a short 3 minute walk to local shops, restaurants and the theatre. Holidaying in Charlottetown and staying at the Rodd Hotel is really the best of both worlds - surrounded by history with all modern amenities available. We all had a truly wonderful time !

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Elaine T, General Manager at Rodd Charlottetown, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2018

Dear missjanemarple2018

Thanks so much for your loyalty to our great historic hotel. We are excited to hear that we are your favorite one in Charlottetown and our team of staff takes great pride in ensuring that all of our guests have great experiences while staying with us. Our beds are indeed very comfortable to ensure a great nights sleep and our Chambers dining room offers great breakfasts to start your day off right. We look forward to your next visit with us and we truly appreciate your patronage and your kind words.