“A businesslike business hotel”
Review of Le Westin Montreal

Le Westin Montreal
Ranked #29 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 5 March 2012

My first ever trip to Montreal (or Canada, for that matter!) Business trip, so we get to stay at our preferred Starwood properties.

First impressions were OK - although the lobby does the hotel no favors, as it looks so sparse and generally unwelcoming. Staff were good throughout the hotel - especially the concierge, who was an endless source of good dining suggestions in the the city.

The room was fine. Everything worked, there were some nice touches like the Westin own-label toiletries, etc., and quite a few little environmentally-friendly things, too.

And then there's the bed.

Westin are famous for their "heavenly" beds, and rightly so. I've rarely slept so well in my life! A definite highlight.

The rest of the hotel was good, without being spectacular. However, the food is worth mentioning as, to me, anyway, it was well above the usual standard for a hotel of this kind. Once again, service in the restaurant/bar was very good.

All in all, worth their 4 stars, but not terribly representative of the whole Montreal experience (despite being situated in the older part of the city).

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Sputnik62ms
yanlap, General Manager at Le Westin Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2012

Bonjour Sputnik62ms, thank you for sharing your first Montreal experience online – and for having chosen Le Westin. I am glad to read you felt well rested after having taken advantage of your Heavenly Bed. As improvements were recently made to the restaurant menu, I will make sure to share your comment about the food with the Chef. I hope you had a good time in Montreal and will plan another visit soon, in summertime perhaps?

Reviewed 3 March 2012

Stayed here recently for 2 nights while in town for work. The hotel is in a great location in the old town with many restaurants and historic sites in walking distance. The check-in was fast and friendly; the rate came with buffet breakfast and happy hour drinks. As a platinum member, my room was upgraded and was fantastic .. very large, with a separate seating area with a view into the old town. Standard Westin bed (very comfy) and large bathroom with kohler fixtures and a great shower (good water pressure). The room was also very quiet .. no noise from the next rooms. Their was an inroom coffee maker with Starbucks and bottle's of water. I have stayed at the other SPG properties in town and would say this hotel is definitely my favorite of the group. I will definitely stay here again and would recommend the property to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
yanlap, General Manager at Le Westin Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2012

Thank you darrennelson, it is with great pleasure that I start this new week reading your review of Le Westin. I am glad you have enjoyed the thoughtful amenities of your room and, I must say, I take great pride in being your “favorite”! Come back soon!

Reviewed 28 February 2012

The room and hotel lived up to the standard that we have come to expect from the Westin brand.

The room was quite spacious featuring high end fittings and furnishings. The bed was comfortable and the view from the window was fantastic. The location of the hotel is pretty good right on the edge of Old Montreal and a reasonable walk to down town.

The buffet breakfast was pretty good but felt like it could have done with some more choices.

Service from the staff was excellent and we will definitely stay here again next time we are in Montreal.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Greg M
yanlap, General Manager at Le Westin Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2012

Bonjour Greg M! Thank you for having chosen Le Westin for your stay last summer and for sharing your experience. I am sure associates will appreciate your comment even more than I do. Au revoir!

Reviewed 27 February 2012

My hubby and I booked this hotel to stay in Montreal during our trip through Quebec. We stayed for 2 nights and were beyond impressed. The location was ideal, walking distance to both new and old Montreal. Lots of shopping and restaurants just within a short distance. The hotel staff were extremely friendly and accomidating. Loved the pool and hot tub .. we even tried out the cold pool (for 3 seconds). Our room was just a standard king, but it was huge! Nice big bathroom with large frameless glass shower. I would highly recommend staying here and would definitely stay again if and when we return to Montreal.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
yanlap, General Manager at Le Westin Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Your good words are very much appreciated canadianpeach27. I hope you had a great time discovering the province of Quebec and will plan another visit soon, maybe in summertime? Best regards,

Reviewed 26 February 2012

Well I come to Montreal often for work. Tried the Sofitel, classy, and the W, trendy. Now it was time for a new try: Le Westin. Located close to the W, I was impressed by Le Westin`s simplicity, but efficient style. Modern-classic rooms, comfortable, with a nice shower and a big TV screen. 2 things about the room: no drinks/food in the room and no international plugs.

There are good deals that include breakfast and some happy hours freebies, I would recommend you take it. It`s cheaper than the room only rate from Sofitel and W, and you get food and drinks. Breakfast choice is excellent. Happy hour is disappointing as they say club floor without the club. There is one, but there is nothing there. You have to go down to get your inclusive services.

Internet was free and fast, and the staff was great! Another good point is the gym. Big and modern, it offers more than what you need as a traveler. There is also a nice pool next door.

This hotel is perfect for business travelers.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
yanlap, General Manager at Le Westin Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Bonjour expatsing! I am pleased to read that you were satisfied with your recent experience and consider staying with us over your future Montreal visits. Mainly, I am thrilled to read comments such as “the staff was great” as it is the personnel that clearly makes the difference. Be ensured your comment will be shared with the entire team. Au revoir!

Reviewed 22 February 2012

Hotel:
We booked our king bed room through Hotels.com and were very happy with it. It was nice a spacious size, very clean, and the ipod docking station was really handy. The bed and pillows were so comfy and this may sounds strange, but the room and the rest of the hotel had this really nice subtle vanilla-ish relaxing scent.

Location:
The location was great, it took maybe 10 mins to walk to St. Catherine Street for shopping and it was only about 5 mins to the water in the other direction. There was only valet parking but it was reasonably priced at $26 per day (after tax) which may seem high but I've paid $35 in Toronto at a lower end hotel so I was fine with it.

Food:
Restaurant wise I found there weren't too many options within walking distance (it was a cold weekend and we weren't willing to walk too far), there were a lot of higher priced restaurants but we just wanted something casual. We did find a great Chinese restaurant called Papillion Bleu and if you exit through the big glass door by the elevators instead of through the lobby you pop out almost right in front of it.

We really enjoyed our stay here and will definitely return!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
yanlap, General Manager at Le Westin Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

Bonjour ek050, merci for your good words! There are quite a few good, casual places where to eat around the hotel; I’ll be pleased to point them out when you return. Au revoir!

Reviewed 21 February 2012

Our room wasn't overly impressive, but the service was fast & friendly and the location was good. We almost booked a hotel in the heart of Old Montreal, and we're really glad we didn't! We took a stroll through Old Montreal on Sunday afternoon, and it felt really dead - many of the shops and restaurants were actually closed. I was really surprised, because I had been there in the summer before and it was incredibly vibrant and bustling. It has an outdoor skating rink, so I thought Old Montreal would be just as busy as the summer. Or that shops would be open at the very least!

Back to the hotel - the pool with the glass bottom was fun, but it was jam-packed with kids every time we went. The pool had an attendant, which was nice, but the attendants never asked the kids (or parents) to refrain from doing cannonballs into the pool, which got to be rather annoying for those getting splashed in the adjacent hot tub! I know that makes me sound old and curmudgeonly, but running around a pool doing haphazard cannonballs seems potentially dangerous, not just disruptive. The gym was great - clean and well-equipped.

The room service was prompt and excellent. The morning breakfast buffet at The Gazette, on the other hand, was over-crowded and over-priced. We had to wait about 15 minutes to get a seat at the bar (not even a table!) and apparently we were lucky - the line to get in snaked all the way out the door when we left. At $22 a person, we would have been better off ordering off the menu. The buffet was ok, but I think $12 would have been a more reasonable price considering the selection.

Loved the free wi-fi and in-room coffee. One minor housekeeping gripe: I opened the sealed shower cap and found it had already been used, and was full of soap! That was gross.

Overall, though, I'd stay there again. It was comfortable and friendly.

1  Thank Travel_Tips_AB
yanlap, General Manager at Le Westin Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2012

Bonjour Travel_Tips_AB, thank you for publishing an extensive review of your recent stay in Montreal. I am pleased to read the positive comments about the overall service quality, as it often makes the difference between a good and an exceptional stay. I take note of your notes about the pool and breakfast and will make sure to follow up accordingly. I hope you will be able to notice the improvement the next time you are in town.