“Don't be fooled ... Worst place ever!”
Review of Via Resto Lounge

Via Resto Lounge
Ranked #3,990 of 6,101 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Italian, Bar
Neighbourhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Neighbourhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

When your instincts tell you to run ... You should run fast! Four of us were taken in by the location (trendy Crescent St) and outward appearance (think zen like couches etc.) which left us believing we were going to have relaxing pre-concert drinks, tasty appetizers and fantastic service. Boy were we WRONG!!! I am in my 60s and have been in many restaurants/lounges and this is by far the WORST! Imagine a server ignoring patrons (except the "regulars") with cigarette dangling from her mouth while talking on her cell phone. Imagine another server that doesn't know the difference between "bass" beer and "sea bass" the entree! And now imagine a restaurant that doesn't have 90 percent of what is listed on the menu or a half decent selection of white wine. Get the picture? RUN AWAY FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would rate this place a zero if I could.

1  Thank LaineyO556

Reviewed November 22, 2013

We came to Via because they were doing an event (1 dollar oysters). At first glance the ambiance seemed alright but was completely and utterly destroyed by the horrendous club music. The oysters were not fresh. The waitress hardly took notice of our table and didn't refill our obviously empty glasses of water despite having told us that she would come back to give us a refill. However when it came to the bill she somehow increased her attention towards us and gave us our bill almost immediately. This place is more like a lounge than a fine Italian cuisine run by asian people...

1  Thank guest502
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Came here October 2013 after a long flight, chose this restaurant as it was near to our hotel. Looked nice from the outside, especially the terrace. That's where the positives end. Disappointing menu, told a 35 minute wait despite the restaurant being almost empty. Still nothing after forty five minutes. My husband had a childishly presented gnocchi which looked like a tin of tomatoes had been poured on top, served on a cold plate. I had seabass spaghetti which was absolutely cold. Sent my food back and ten minutes later the food reappeared exactly the same and still cold. The manager offered me another meal and a free drink but my husband had eaten his and I was tired and fed up - how hard is it to cook pasta?! - so refused both. Shame that our first visit to Montreal began so badly.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

My boyfriend and I were walking down Crescent Street looking for some great Italian food. The hostess did a great job selling the menu, but maybe she hasn't tried the food.
Inside the resto, there were a moderate amount of tables, mostly empty (should have been a clue) we decided to sit outside. We waited and waited for service, finally a server came over an apologized (he was very nice). Seeing how the place was not busy I would expect faster service. There seemed to be a few "regulars" there... maybe they took up the servers time.
My boyfriend got a glass of wine (which wasn't good) and I ordered the seafood pasta. Absolutely no flavour, and cold. My boyfriend got the mushroom fettucini, which was disgusting and also cold. Seeing how there were only a handful of people there, I would think our food would be hot. There was no bread offered.. most Italian restaurants offer bread while you wait. Not a big deal though. We complained to the manager who spoke to the chef. They offered to make us another meal, but I was not interested. He also offered drinks, but we didn't want to stay there any longer. I was surprised they didn't discount the bill... we paid full price for gross half uneaten food, I do not recommend this place unless you just want to party on the patio.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

My wife and I were walking down Crescent Street looking for a place to have dinner. We took a seat at Via on their terrace pretty much by chance. The weather was ideal for sitting outside. The restaurant is moderately expensive, but comparable to other similar places in Montreal, as best I can tell. The owner chatted with us for awhile, telling us that he was from Sardinia and brought the chef over from Italy. We split the gnocchi and the dish of the day, which was sea bass simmered with vegetables. The gnocchi was excellent, very light and tasty. I don't think I have had better gnocchi. The sea bass was well prepared, though not my favorite. The service was relaxed but attentive.