“Didn't even make it to look at the menu”
Review of Zero8 - CLOSED

Zero8
Price range: US$13 - US$23
Cuisines: International, Grill
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Quartier des Spectacles
Description: ZERO8 is a gluten and allergen free restaurant in Montreal. Delicious, home made fresh food. We offer grills, braised meats and we always have vegan options.
Reviewed 18 December 2011

Being a gluten free vegan, I was excited to happen upon Zero 8. We came in and were seated, my friend had brought in a green tea she had gotten from a cafe down the street in with her and was just finishing it off. The waitress curtly informed her she was not allowed to have it in the restaurant, and moved to take it. My friend was a bit surprised, and firmly told her that she would finish it outside if need be. The waitress started explaining that the restaurant was for people who suffered allergies, and that was why she needed to remove the drink as quickly as possible, then left to serve the other couple in the restaurant. My friend went to the washroom, and I waited patiently for the menus, which did not come. As soon as my friend got back, the owner of the restaurant came up and said "She wasn't kidding about the drink" at which point we felt very unwanted, and the whole thing was getting ridiculous (it's green tea for god sakes.) I suggested that we leave, where then the owner launched into a tirade into his gluten free lifestyle. When he got to the part about his gluten free soap choices, we sharply left to eat at a noodle bar across the street (which had gluten free rice noodles and much less pretentious service.)

Reviewed 2 November 2011

This is a funky little contemporary restaurant on St Denis just up from St Catherines. Went there twice it was so good. First night was a roast beef sandwich on gluten free bread on the outdoor patio ($15 for the sandwich) Bread was amazing for gluten free and the beef was super tender. Second time was inside with attentive service, and a roast beef dinner. Again, all gluten free! Veggies were cooked perfectly, roast beef has a lovely juice/gravy sort of thing. Wine list was excellent for "by the glass". Was pleased to find a gluten free restaurant in the heart of Montreal. Highly recommend this place.

Reviewed 15 October 2011

My husband and I traveled to Montreal for our honeymoon. I have Celiac Disease and we found this restaurant via Celiac Scene website. They avoid 8 of the most common allergies.... Obviously I was intrigued. Having gone there to dine our first night in the City, I was blown away! The service was tremendous, as neither of us speak french very well, the servers were very friendly & knowledgeable. The menu was large and offered everything from poutine to mushroom risotto to lasagna. The food was AMAZING!!!! The first night we ordered the sandwich & fries.... the bread is home made and SO delicious. The fries were home style with the skin still on and cooked perfectly. Second night there we went back and ordered brushetta to start, then the lamb burger.... the lamb burger was awesome. Great tastes, superb ingredients and phenomenal staff made this restaurant a spectacular place for a Celiac to dine. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone with or without food allergies. we will definitely be going back. Also if you ever want to expand, please PLEASE open a restaurant in Toronto, ON or better yet Waterloo :) Thanks for making Montreal that much better for us.

Reviewed 9 October 2011

We walked into this bisrto with no expectations and found this is a restaurant that specializes in serving lactose intolerant and gluten free foods. No cream, butter, wheat flour, eggs, nuts etc. However they had good house made food with good flavour. This is not a vegan place! The braised beef rib was fatty and a little stringy and my homemade bread equivalent lamb burger bun was burnt, but tates were overall very good. Service was attentive and well trained, interesting wine list by the glass & bottle. The tab for 3 was $120 including wine, dessert, taxes & tip.

Reviewed 3 August 2011

We wasted our money imagine $4.00 for fries what a joke...way way way way overpriced if you don't believe us try it for yourself and after you pay you'll feel you got taken to the cleaners...the cook is a real zero too...they laugh at people...