“Never Again!”

Ranked #85 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Newmarket, Canada
“Never Again!”
Reviewed 2 January 2012

I try to keep an open mind about hotels untill I see the whole thing but it was hard to stay open minded when as soon as you walk in the room, you need to call down for clean towels and sheets because they are covered in hair and well.....

I wasnt expecting much because of the price but the service did not make up for the dirt in the rooms. Took 3hrs to get clean towels and the staff were not pleased when you came down to ask questions and were down right snotty.

The location on this hotel was awesome, nice bars close by and only blocks away from Crescent street and St Catherine St.

Would not recommend this hotel for human occupation and the best part of the vacation is when I got home and could have a hot shower in a nice clean washroom...

Room Tip: Higher up the better so you can get a decent view out of it.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank 147896325

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 December 2011

We had a party of five (three kids and two adults.) The price was cheap and we were only in town three nights, so we booked. When we arrived there were immediately problems with our check-in, and they ended up charging us twice our original price. The lobby was horrid. The whole place smelled bad, the furnishings were dirty and ancient. We dragged our stuff up a creaky metal ramp covered with a red carpet, and up a (very slow) elevator. Problem number two: Our room key wouldn't work. The manager came up and tried too, because the maid did not speak English, and he couldn't open it. He kicked it open. The room carpet was stained, the kitchen appliances were broken and scratched, the ac had graffiti on it, the mirror was shattered, the TV and lamps didn't work. They ended up transferring us to a better room. It was dirty and ugly too, but it didn't have any graffiti or broken appliances, at least. The TV's were awful, of course. Both the remotes were missing so we asked them to bring some. Towards the end of our stay, we found out we had lice. There was a huge argument with the manager. She claimed that neither lice eggs or bugs could survive on appliances. They can, I asked a doctor later. So we took off. They never did bring us our remotes.
PS. The building's ugly, small parking in a kid of alley behind it. We were afraid when we got there that it was some kind of wasteland truck-stop motel. But that's our impression. Please don't stay here, take it solid from us, and save yourself the trouble. Location's OK.

Room Tip: Don't.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank addie p

Travellers are raving about these Montreal hotels

North Troy, Vermont
Reviewed 10 November 2011

I can not say enough kind things about this hotel and its staff. If you are looking for a 4 or 5 star hotel and spa move on this is not what you want and you will not be happy. If you want a nice apartment to stay in this is the place for you. I would highly recommend renting a 1 bedroom as they are much nicer than the studios. I used to travel for work and I dislike the traditional room with bed. (including 5 star) You can go to the PA Market(1418 Du Fort) or IGA (in the Mall) and pick up a few groceries. (A soda tastes much better at 50 cents a can than $4.00 out of a mini-fridge) The hotel is centrally located just off busy St. Catherine. The Atwater Metro and AMC22 (AMC theaters) and Place Alexis Nihon (Mall) are all about about a 3 minute walk away. If you have a problem please let the staff know and as far as my experiences any problem will be resolved to the best of their abillities. The rooms that have been renovated are nice. When booking if possible ask for a renovated room. The rooms not yet renovated are a little worn but still nice. The only complaint I have is that the pool is very small though they do have an outside sunning area. For the price it's a bargin. The neighborhood is safe I have been staying here for years and never had a problem.

Room Tip: The 1 bedroom suites are nicer than the studios.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank naxos0714
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Was attracted to the quality/price (bi-level suite in downtown Mtl for less than $70), it was awful. Very dirty carpets, old furniture, in desperate need of renovations, smelled really bad, A/C not working and when did work after a service call, did not supply enough cold air to vent the room, very slow and tiny elevators (2 only), no parking available, extremely dirty pool area with some kind of carpet all around, no access to rooftop terrasse as stated, bi-level suite = 2 stairs to go to room area, bathroom was dirty and moldy.
Happy that it was only 1 night because I would not have stayed there.
Kitchennette seemed ok, did not used it. Very good location and near metro stop.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Vancouver,BC
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I've been a member of this board long enough to know that when the majority of reviews are negative on a property, you shouldn't stay there. I didn't heed that advice this time around.

I had to make a 3 night booking for Downtown Montreal for some meetings, and felt I was getting such a good price for a suite hotel in that city, that I grabbed it from booking.com. I just couldn't pass it up. My mistake.

I arrived at the hotel at about 9pm. There is no immediate place to park the car, as the streets are all full. So I called the front desk, and they informed me that the hotel parking lot was full, and I would have to park at the Pepsi Forum across the street. Ok, I'll let that one slip.

When I finally get to the hotel, I get the sense that this is some old age pensioner's place, or something from Vancouver's downtown east side for the homeless. The check-in staff were friendly enough--gave me a room and sent me on my way. The building inside and outside looks like it's from the 70s. The relic of an elevator took 5 mins to respond to the call button, despite being empty.

As soon as I approached the door to the room, I could smell something nasty. I opened the door and was floored. The place stunk--reeked--of I don't know what. It was pervasive throughout the entire living room, kitchen, bedroom and toilet. I opened all the doors and windows and turned the a/c to full and went outside to have dinner. An hour later I returned to find absolutely no change. I went to the front desk, told them of the situation and they gave me another room on a lower floor.

Hesitantly, I opened the door and was pleased to find no smell. However the room was identical to the previous one. Let me just say this, not once did I walk barefoot in that room, not even with socks on--I kept my shoes on the entire time. The carpet was filthy. On one area under the bed, there appeared to be a large glob of what looked like rat feces. There was dust everywhere. All the furnishings are about 30 years old or older, and they looked like it. I didn't dare sit on the couch in the living room, it was covered with a fine layer of dirt. I went on the balcony and immediately came inside again--it was horrendous. Paint peeling off everywhere, cigarette butts on the ground, big dark bltoches all over the place.

In the room, there were enormous stains all over the walls and the carpets and sofa. The kitchen was a joke. All though there was a fridge and a stove and some basic accessories, I didn't dare use anything. The bathroom was tiny, but it was clean i'll give it that much. But it looked like it belonged in a urban Detroit 2 bedroom home slated for demolition. You can imagine the beds weren't much better. As soon as I lifted the mattress, I could see the bed bugs with my own eyes everywhere. I stayed one night, and despite having prepaid for three, left the next day and checked into the Holiday Inn Express--same price but a world apart.

Let me say this--I travel all over the world, stay about 100 nights a year in hotels. I stay at major properties like Fairmont, Intercontinentals, etc, and smaller dives in places like Delhi and Bangkok. I am definitely not a very picky person. I can appreciate some properties are simply older, but are well kept. I can appreciate some properties are simply cheaper or budget.

But this place should not exist as a hotel. It should have been demolished 10 years ago. I know extreme reviews are usually not reliable, but take it from me--avoid this place at all costs. You've been warned.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank averagejoe75
Whitby, Ontario
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This is an excellent facility for a short cheap stay downtown Montreal.

It appears to have been a apartment building that was converted into a hotel. In consequence, there is always a long wait for the elevator which is often already packed. The breakfast accommodation is also quite substandard, but there are lot of restaurants nearby and the apartments have full cooking.

On the plus, these are great little apartments with full facilities. It is only a block from hockey and the Alexis Nihon.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Drummond89
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I'd say the only downside to this hotel was that the breakfast wasn't included in the price. When split between 2 friends and I we only paid about $40 per night and had access to a pool, gym, and our room had a queen bed, pull out couch, its own kitchen complete with cooking utensils and coffee maker (coffee provided as well). The location was great too, very close walking to saint catherine so it was easy to maneuver the city from there. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends