All reviewstraining hotelsherbrooke metro stationhotel schoolculinary schoolnice balconyrue st denisplateau neighborhoodbreakfast was includedle plateaucroissantsnespresso machinefresh fruitold montrealexcellent hotelexploring montrealunderground parkingcrepes
Reviewed June 16, 2011

This hotel lives up to the excellent reviews at Tripadvisor.com and we love it. It is conveniently located just above the Metro Sherbooke station, one station away from the major hub of Berri-UQAM. It was so easy to get to the Convention Center as it is only 3 stations away. It is modern, clean, friendly and well equipped hotel. The staff at the reception were very professional and helpful. Only 2 floors are occupied by hotel rooms. The rest of the building is the hospitality school. Thus, it never felt crowded in any way. The hotel room was chic and modern and equipped with all the modern facilities including a refrigerator, Nespresso coffee machine, iron, hair dryer, flat screen TV, iPod charger and a nice office chair. Every room has a balcony with a great view of the city. The bed was really comfortable. WiFi is free of charge. We were most impressed by the breakfast which is free with the stay. We had a choice of egg Benedict, egg Florentine or egg with Salmon, crepes, pancake, fruits, cereals, croissant and other pastries, yogurt, salad, etc. Unlike previous reviews, we found the staff very responsive and the service was excellent during our stay. We wish we had a chance to try their $19 Express lunch but it was so popular and was booked out on the day when we wanted to try. Hotel guests also get 20% off for dinner on Tuesday and Wednesday but we did not have a chance to try it. Overall, we are very happy with this hotel and we will certainly return if we visit Montreal again in the future.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed June 15, 2011

Booked directly through the hotel. Rate contains breakfast. Breakfast was delicious. Ordered the Salmon Egg Benedict on both mornings I was there. There is a mini buffet breakfast table containing yogurt, cereal (which was really yummy) and fine pastries for you to help yourself on top of the menu order.

They gave me a 20% off dinner voucher for their restaurants to be used only on Tues and Wednesdays. I didn't try it as there were average reviews about dinner and menu wasn't too attractive. But breakfast i must mention again was delicious.

Hotel entrance was a bit confusing. Not clearly marked at all. Hotel didn't feel very warm or welcoming at all. Just felt like people running in and out, wouldn't even know it was a hotel if i wasn't told.

Front desk gave me an early check in which was great. My room was big and spacious. Air cond was a bit weird and noisy. Room had a balcony. Looks like recently renovated and very modern. Even had a mini sofa.

Shower pressure was low, even the tap at the basin was low pressured. Room had electronic safe.

Bed I felt was rather soft, and the quilt was rather dense and heavy which made me wake up a couple of times during the night. Other than that, room was clean.

Front desk mixed up my morning call, i set at 4:30, and they wrote down 7:30. Since breakfast was included and i was leaving so early, they told me that can prepare a small breakfast box which they do everyday for people leaving early. The box contained a fruit, a croisant, a fruit drink and a piece of cheese. Apparently this is ready and sent to the front desk at midnight ready for customer pick up in the morning.

Hotel is right next to Sherbrooke metro which was convenient. Berri station is about a 15 min walk and no elevators or escalators down to metro (that i could find from the bus terminal). This is where I caught the 747 shuttle to the airport.

Had free wifi in room - need to ask for password. Network a bit congested though.

The concierge in front of the restaurant was not very helpful, almost got the impression she wanted to waive me off quickly so she could get back to browsing the net.

Also nearby hotel are restaurants... also very close to the seedy latin quarter (also full of restaurants and very weird people :)).

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank giraffez
Reviewed June 2, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights in May, and absolutely loved the look and feel of the place. Cool, modern, edgy, minimalist but still welcoming. The reception staff (like all the staff here - it's a training institute) are young and perhaps a bit inexperienced, but their willingness to help and to provide advice more than made up for this. The room was outstanding - huge bed, excellent bathroom, a balcony looking over trendy rue St-Denis and a lovely park, with distant views of church spires and Mont-Royal. Great sunset.

There were a couple of odd things: the lights over the bed simply didn't respond to any attempts to make them work. They were expensive and really very attractive - but I never did work out how to turn them on. Similarly, just call me old-fashioned, but a coffee machine that has FOUR PAGES of instructions seems to be over the top! The Nespresso thing seems to be complicated just for the sake of appearing sophisticated.

Breakfast is included in the price and is served by yet more trainees. The first morning we had lovely service and excellent food but the second morning really let the side down. We arrived in the dining room and stood about waiting for someone to even acknowledge our presence. There was a great deal of bustling about, people clearing tables, laying new places, taking orders, entering stuff into the computer - but no-one even made eye contact with us. Eventually after about 7 minutes, we were taken to a table by a young woman - who then proceeded to completely ignore us again. I noticed that by now there were perhaps 5 or 6 people queueing at the entrance, being similarly ignored. I managed to grab the attention of one young man and asked if we could please have some service as we had been waiting for well over 5 minutes just to be acknowledged. He mockingly asked me, 'What? Not 6 minutes? Not 7 minutes?' I wasn't impressed frankly. He then arrived with coffee, took our order and bustled off to the kitchen - or somewhere. All up, it took over half an hour from the time we arrived at the restaurant to the time when our food arrived. Something wrong with the curriculum here - it's not a good idea to teach people to completely ignore the guests and then to mock them!

But this long whinge aside, this is a great little hotel, really well situated above a metro station and very close to a vast range of restaurants (although beware - a lot of them I would classify as 'strictly tourist': lovely setting, outside tables, poor service and indifferent and expensive food). I would recommend the hotel, with the proviso that the service may be patchy.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank balhannah
Reviewed June 1, 2011

The hotel was nice. Great location. The beds are awesome!
The service at reception and breakfast was a little cool, though.
Also, we awoke to a fire alarm and vague announcement that a "minor incident" was reported. We were instructed to immediately evacuate. By the time I gathered my family and belongings together, another announcement stated that the emergency was finished. There was no explanation.
A sour end to a good experience, for the most part.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank moishe613
Reviewed May 19, 2011

Beautiful modern design without being chilly and minimalist. A particularly lovely restaurant. Very nice rooms with a window that opened and a tidy balcony with a lovely view.

Bed was too soft and the pillows were too fat - this meant we didn't sleep as well as we might have. But the room was extremely quiet.

Great location - right at he Sherbrooke Metro station, with several buses stopping right outside the door, and within easy walks of numerous excellent restaurants and lovely parks, including Parc Lafontaine. Bountiful breakfasts included in the room rate. Restaurant staff are eager but still need practice. Front desk staff were fine. Very reasonable parking charges - only $19/day and this included in-and-out privileges. Good value for money.

Will definitely stay there again, and will recommend the Hotel to our friends.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple