All reviews training hotel sherbrooke metro station hotel school culinary school nice balcony rue st denis included breakfast plateau neighborhood le plateau croissants nespresso machine fresh fruit latin quarter excellent hotel room rate old montreal great view of the city
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We are 10-time veterans of Hotel de l'Institut and continue to relish everything about this hotel, especially the enthusiastic hotel-school staff who can lead you to the best foie gras restaurant or the best nail salon. This time we had a renovated king room, which was very sharp, and included lush linens. The balconies are a big bonus, the central location is perfect, the breakfasts were carefully prepared, and the dinner recommendations were spot on, especially one to accommodate 10 sports-obsessed university boys. Still think this is the best-kept secret in Montreal.

Date of stay: July 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Devo18
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I had hesitations about this choice because it is a "teaching" hotel, but I would definitely stay here again. In fact, I look forward to it. Mine friends and I stayed for 4 nights over New Years weekend. The front desk staff was very friendly throughout our stay. The rooms are beautiful and look exactly as advertised. Breakfast is included with the stay, but we didn't make it down for breakfast. On the day we checked out, the hotel was nice enough to prepare breakfast for us to go.

The location is great. The hotel is part of the tourism institute and the building sits above the Sherbrooke Metro stop. You don't need a car during your stay. Taxis are always available right in front of the hotel, and you can walk to a variety of restaurants, bars, live music spots and other attractions. If you do drive, they have onsite parking.

The front desk will also exchange currency for you, but only in small amounts at a time. We arrived too late to go to a bank or exchange location, so the $50 they exchanged for us was very much appreciated.

The negatives:

1) No room service. This was only an issue for us on one night. We were out late or brought back leftovers on the other nights.
2) No bell service (I don't usually use this, but I thought I'd note it.)
3) Housekeeping forgot to replace bathroom tissue 2 days in a row. We called down to the front desk when we arrived one evening and the desk clerk brought some up.
4) Although the rooms have been remodeled, the bathrooms still have old subway tile which really takes away from the "new" feel of the room.

Overall, I recommend this hotel. The negatives were minor and would not deter me from staying again. We very much enjoyed our stay.

Date of stay: December 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank Guyfromfaraway
Reviewed January 4, 2012

We really enjoyed this hotel. The rooms are spacious and clean. Having a balcony was a big bonus as well. Parked in the underground garage, with easy elevator access. Can't find anything to complain about as far as the service goes. We asked for an hour extra for checkout and was granted with no fuss what so ever. The location is superb. Walking distance to St Denis/Laurent restaurants, shops, bars, etc. Metro access pretty much behind the building, can't get better than that. The breakfast is the regular eggs, etc. Nothing spectacular, but not bad either. Overall, definitely recommended.

Date of stay: January 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank Ozzy M
Reviewed January 3, 2012

This hotel was great! I actually booked it based on reviews from other readers on this site so I decided to give back by writing a review and sharing my experience. The staff was amazing, very accommodating and always went out of their way. Natalie at the concierge was very helpful and accommodating as well as gave great suggestions. She recommended great activities (Notre Dame Basilica, Botanical Garden, Biodome, and my most favorite!!- a Scandinavian spa ) (the best massage i have ever had & most relaxing atmosphere)

Hotel was modern and very clean, rooms were spacious. Location was perfect as it was 5 steps away form the Metro which takes you anywhere. Walking distance to Latin Quarters & China town, also walking distance to Old Port (as long as its not too cold). Breakfast was very good especially since it was included (only thing is they did not switch up the menu at all so by the end of the week we were looking for a change.) The restaurant was closed for the holidays so we were not able to take advantage of it (heard the food was great though) For the location, price, service & cleanliness I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room tip: All rooms have balconies which is great!
Date of stay: December 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank vita1219
Reviewed November 23, 2011

The newly decorated hotel rooms are very comfortable but have quirks--why offer only 2 pods of coffee with that lovely Nespresso machine (what if both guests want decaf)? Why not leave a pen for guests? How about some conditioner along with the shampoo and a soap for the bath as well as for the sink? Why not fix the TV so the picture is not distorted? The only real problem however is the slap-dash nature of the breakfast. It is wonderful to have it offered as part of the room cost but service was lackadaisical, food and supplies were not replenished, only store-bought white bread was offered when Montreal has the best bakeries in Canada , one of which is right across the street. Since there seems to be supervision of the hotel, why not have supervision of the restaurant and servers as well?

Room tip: All rooms are on the upper floors and are quiet and comfortable.
Date of stay: November 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank FSH_203
ithq_hotel, Front Office Manager at Hotel de l'ITHQ, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2011

Thank you for you review! I am glad you have enjoyed our renovated rooms. I am sorry on the other hand that you were disapointed by some of our products and services. I will personnally make sure that the housekeeping department puts 2 soaps and a conditioner in every room, as it should. As for the Nesprsso cup, there are always available at the front desk!
Your review will also be transmitted the the Food & Beverage director. As a school of hotel and restaurant management, we always appreciate our guests comments to improve the quality of our service.
Please feel free to contact me if you have questions or further comments: 514-282-5108 Ext. 4249.

Valérie Amiot