Hotel Park Avenue
  • Breakfast included
US$710
RitzCarlton.com
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed April 22, 2017

I stayed at this dump a number of times for low rates and location-NO OTHER REASON. The staff are super rude especially Jenny who works there during the days. She overcharged many times and gave a lot of excuses to overcharge me and I heard her doing it to other guests. One guy threatened to call the cops but she would not relent. Her and her staff treat the guests like crap, yet they have signs on the hotel doors saying "We care about you."
The hotel stinks and the cleaner uses this horrible spray probably to cover up smoking odors in rooms. It is sprayed on the bedding too. It smells like some powerful rotting chemical. The rooms are poorly cleaned and very very outdated with furniture and linens from Hotel du Fort which is a hotel that closed and had a big sale. Hotel Park Avenue bought a lot of their items obviiously. Hotel du Fort is stamped on linens, etc. There is no coffeemaker, no facecloths and no hair dryers in the rooms. The floors and furniture are dusty. In the morning they have coffee in the kitchen on the first floor, that is all.
Many of the guests who stay there are creepy characters who look like they are homeless or up to illegal activities. She lets anyone stay there as long she gets their money. Many times these people could be heard running up and down the stairs and yelling in the middle of the night. Even after complaints, it goes on.
This hotel uses websites to sell their rooms, but when you get to the hotel, they sometimes try to sell the room at a highter rate.
She claims there is free laundry and a business center. The business center is one computer that has not worked for a long time. And the laundry is 5 blocks down the street.
These people are definitely in the wrong business. They do not know how to run a hotel. And try calling to book- many times their staff is standing outside smoking a cigarette and they do not like to be disturbed. Even though I stayed there quite a few times I was continually ripped off and treated like crap. I will never stay there again and I do not recommend this place even if it is free of charge.

Room Tip: If you like filth and dust and very rude disrespectful service this joint is for you,.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
4  Thank sherri c
Reviewed February 25, 2017

Stayed here a few days ago with a friend of mine. The room was clean, as was the ensuite, and staff were helpful. One of the receptionists was a little cold, his attitude was not very friendly, in complete contrast to the lady who took our keys when we checked out, who was wonderful!
The room was a little odd as we had a fridge and a microwave, but no television. We didn't mind too much but I know I would have rather had a television than a microwave!!!
When room service came to our room they took our used towels but didnt replace them and as me and my friend were very busy we didnt have time to go and ask for more, which was irritating but not trip-ruining.
The location was a little far our but for the price it was fine- the hotel itself is fairly good value.
Last thing is the wifi was quite temperamental- data may be used a lot here!

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed January 27, 2017

There was a festival going on in the City. Air Canada told us we had to sleep on the airport floor (disgusting), so we booked the first room we could find (just about everything was booked up). Arrived at hotel... customer service wasn't the greatest (wouldn't let my friend and I share room cost). made us drag our luggage upstairs only to make us go down two more sets of stairs (could have told us to leave our luggage in the porch at least). Got a room in the basement. Instantly smelled the stench of mould when we opened the basement door. Went to our room. There were insects in our room. The window was broke (anyone walking along the street could literally crawl into our window). There were cigarette ashes everywhere (non-smoking room), notified front desk staff and they said they would clean it while we were out. Came back and it was still there. The bathroom.... couldn't sit on the toilet and have the door shut at the same time - knees touching door. The shower.... was maybe 2' x 2', it had two faucets in the shower - one above the head, and one by the feet (a tub faucet, but there wasn't a tub), all the hot water came out at the feet faucet and only a dribble of cold water came from the head faucet. We slept with the lights on. I developed allergies for the first time in my life from staying here. I was miserable for two days after - putting a huge damper on my 7 day beach vacation!!!!!!! I would never stay here again and I warn all my travelling friends to steer clear. Oh, and the room cost $200!!!!! TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!!!! Run far away!!!

Stayed: August 2016
1  Thank Traveller832016
Reviewed October 11, 2016

My mentality is always lower your standards with rooms like this but this is a stretch. The room has a certain smell, the shower is way to small and I would never sit on that couch (I.e. certain stains). That being said, staff was very accommodating, it's not that far from the city center and the price was not too steep (even on Thanksgiving weekend). All in all, at least the bed felt clean and that's the main thing.

Room Tip: Lower your standards and you'll be fine
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed September 28, 2016

Stayed there a few times nothing wrong with it, great location, great price. Don't expect a five star hotel but good spot to stay. Don't listen to some of the reviews you get what you pay for but I would go back anytime!

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends