“Better Options Available” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of HI Montreal Hostel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
HI Montreal Hostel
Dublin, Ireland
“Better Options Available”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

I arrived on the 1st of January with two friends and immediately our impressions took a bad turn. No hot water throughout the hostel and the staff didn't know when the problem would be fixed. When we left on the 3rd, the problem was still not fixed. To make matters worse, our dorm room was so tiny that one person would barely have enough room, never mind three. To close the bathroom door, we had to twist ourselves against the shower and the toilet. The sink was in the room because the bathroom was too tiny to accomodate it. Not ideal if you are tring to avoid waking up everyone else. The so called bar crawl was depressingly tame and lacking in atmosphere. One of the bars we were supposed to go to was closed, so in the end we only visited two bars. On a positive note, the hostel was relatively clean and is close enough to Downtown Montreal. It is also not far from the subway line.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Auberge H, Manager at HI Montreal Hostel, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
Bonjour Steven,

You could see that this message is very similar to my answer to the comments left before yours... Both are pretty much pointing at the same issues.. Again, I apologize for all the hassle… The water tank break on January 1st, was surely unexpected and pretty much all the city plumbers seemed to be hiding somewhere far far away... I understand it was not the best situation for the guests despite all what we tried to bypass the problem... Now the good news is that it is all fixed for the next couple of years! Yeah!!

Regarding our rooms, they have all different sizes and if some could be tight for 3 strong males, we should be more vigilant when we assign the beds at check-in… I’ll make sure to pass the message along! As for our free daily activities, I’m sorry some were not up to your expectations. Now, the other good news is that we’ve just promoted one of our senior staff to the programming coordination position… Knowing him, I’m sure that he will help to raise the quality standards of the activities (including the pub crawl) for the benefit of all!

Finally, I would like to thank you for your feedbacks as it is the best way for us to move on with improvements,

Nicolas , Manager HI-Montréal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

Unfortunately my experience at this hostel was less than satisfactory. I was told that this was a very good hostel to stay at and from the moment we checked in we were dissapointed. My friends and I were told that there was no hot water and there was nothing that could be done. Over the next two days that we used the bathroom, we didn't have any hot water and the staff seemed reluctant to update the guests on this situation. In these cases compensation must be delivered to guests of the hostel. How can you not have hot water in Montreal in winter? Unacceptable.

The other gripes we had were with the size of the room and the size of the bathroom. The four bedroom dorm that we were in was barely big enough for the three of us and the bathroom was so small that one barely fit inside. Very uncomfortable!

Also HI-Montreal, learn what a pub crawl is all about! Going to three places for a couple of hours is not a pub crawl! Worst pub crawl ever!

I should end with positives. The hostel is quite clean, no complaints on that front. Also it is in quite a good location so getting around Montreal from the hostel is not problem and they serve reasonably priced food and drink in the downstairs bar/cafeteria.

Overall unfortunately, I would no recommend this hostel for people to stay at based on the experiences of myself and my friends.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Bonjour,

First of all, I apologize for all the hassle… We always try to be ready for all possible situations, but honestly we did not expect a water tank break on January 1st, when all the plumbers in town were on holidays. We managed that issue the best and quickest we could, but I understand it was not the best situation for the guests... Now the good news is that it is all fixed and it should not be a problem for the next couple of years! Yeah!!

Regarding our rooms, they have all different sizes and if some could be tight for 3 tall males, we should be more vigilant when we assign the beds at check-in… I’ll make sure to pass the message along! As for our free daily activities, I’m sorry some were not up to your expectations. Now, the other good news is that we’ve just promoted one of our senior staff to the programming coordination position… Knowing him, I’m sure that he will help to raise the quality standards of the activities (including the pub crawl) for the benefit of all!

Finally, I would like to thank you for your feedbacks as it is the best way for us to move on with improvements. From all the other comments online, we're normally pretty good at meeting everyone's expectations and should you give us a second chance, I remain positiv that we would be up to the challenge,

Bon voyage,

Nicolas Lemaire , Manager HI-Montréal
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

I was booked in for five nights in a private room but after I went to my room I returned to reception and cancelled three (due to the cancellation policy). Although my room was clean and quiet the only window faced right into the common area, meaning anyone could see into my room. On top of that the room was freezing cold because of the intense AC. I went up to ask if there was a way I could control it in my room and I was told there were no separate controls and that maybe I should turn the heat on. Nice. So I did, but because the heating vent is under the bed and in the corner - it did nothing.

My room came with a TV but in order to get a remote I had to hand over my driver's license. Why they don't just take $10 and hold it until the remote is returned...I do not understand. People need their ID and running back and forth to the busy reception is a waste of valuable time.

When I went to check out the female staff member was either horribly hungover and just rude by nature.

I lost my sunglasses there and inquired by email if anyone had found them and I received no reply.

This is a hostel...it has good amenities and SOME members of staff are lovely. The location is just fine. But guess what? I went on Hotwire and for $10 more a night I got a room at the Hilton and was treated well and slept in total comfort.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank TravelSkunk
Auberge H, General Manager at HI Montreal Hostel, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
Bonjour,

It's a hostel, indeed! But a good hostel I shall add... Well, normally!...

Reading the last 3 reviews, I must say that I am a little exasperated... We're usually a blast for all travelers visitng us but it seems that around new years we failed for various reasons.. Hot water thank break, an air conditioned working too good... Is that what we call Murphy's law??!

That being said, I would like to highlight that we're a team of young travelers passionate about our work... We'll go through all comments listed in the feedbacks and see how we can improve on them, while pushing on aspects that we're good. I like to think that we are one of the best hostel in town (maybe the world ?:)) and we'll work twice as hard in order to remain so!

Best Regards and Bon Voayage,
Nicolas Lemaire, hostel manager
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2011

This place is exactly like the city outside its doors; fun, friendly, welcoming and eager to help you have a good time. I didn't hang around much at the hostel, but anytime I was here I felt comfortable and had everything I needed from a place to stay.

The staff are friendly and helpful, the rooms are well set up and clean and the beds are comfy. The location is also great; the Metro and Bell Centre are both just around the corner, Rue Sainte-Catherine is only a short walk away and is packed with shops and cafes. plus the side streets running across it are also full of cool little bars and restaurants. The 747 express to and from the airport is right across the road. I doubt that there is a hostel in a better location anywhere else in the city.

One other reviewer mentioned that they could have gotten a hotel for the same price. I think that any hotel you could stay in for the same price would be in a lot worse condition and wouldn't have the same kind of staff or fun and relaxed vibe that they have here.

Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Craig D
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2011

I loved this place. Great location, excellent kitchen and common areas. It even has a bar downstairs that sells some pretty good meals. The bar however does mean that it's far too noisy to actually watch anything in the "tv room", maybe they could curtain this area off? The daily tours that the hostel runs are great, join in, see the sights with a local and meet some of your awesome fellows travellers. The downside? The website/brochure says free wifi throughout the hostel. You can't get wifi in the rooms so you need to sit in the noisy bar area. Apart from that, a fabulous place to stay.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Burlington, Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

The hostel is in a great location! It's easy to get to places within the city. It's also very clean. I didn't have any issues with the cleanliness.

However, the prices listed online are for members, and when we arrived we were charged roughly 25 dollars more (for 2 nights) than we anticipated. For the money we spent there we could have gotten a hotel room. It does say that the prices are for members on all websites, but it's not well advertised. We weren't the only ones surprised at check-in. We were at the desk area when three other groups checked in and all were surprised by the price of their rooms.

Also, parking is said to be included with the price of the room. It's clearly advertised on the website, another reason we thought staying at the hostel would be a better price than a hotel. However, there is no parking anywhere near the hostel. They claim that they have never offered parking. We arrived on a Montreal Canadiens hockey game night and parking was very scarce and prices were inflated. We shelled out an additional 29 dollars for parking.

If the hostel would just list the proper prices, and not rely on getting people in the doors with false advertising, it would be a great place to stay.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank nikki d
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

The place was great:
-laundry
-showers with soap dispensers
-lockers in rooms (bring your own)
-daily cleaning service
-daily activities (trips/excursions/pub crawls, etc)
-extra storage
-clean facilities
-HUUUGE kitchen area with multiple fridges and cupboard spaces for food
-onsite pub for breakfasts, other meals, and beer
-super friendly desk staff
-one rude bar guy
-extra bathrooms in the hall (aside from the ensuite bathrooms)
-WiFi a little shoddy in the rooms (best in foyer and pub in basement)

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank David R
Himontreal, Guest Relations Manager at HI Montreal Hostel, responded to this review, 22 September 2011
Hi David! Nice comment, thanks a lot. It's really appreciated. Hope you'll come back one day :) If you like hockey, notice that we also have ticket for all Habs game (just so you know).
Later!