“My second home”

InterContinental Montreal
Ranked #38 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Even before I enrolled in the Priority club (free membership) , I felt very good and welcome every-time I was arriving at the location . The staff are very professional and polite. The location of the hotel couldn't be more perfect, you can arrive via train (10$ taxi to go to the hotel), then you use the subway to travel anywhere you want in Montreal, ( you have the subway connecting underneath of the building next door).

The room are sparkling clean every-time , huge windows, a nice sight of the town in every room ; and when you are a Priority Member, you get so many perks that you believe that you are royalty ( a real Ambassador) room upgrade (like on the top floor of the hotel, amazing suites, just to name that one!!)

whenever I am going to Montreal, I just tell every one that I am going to my second home!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank LineBoutinActress
BernardChenevert, General Manager at InterContinental Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

Dear Ms. Boutin,

What a pleasure to hear that you consider our hotel your home away from home! We are delighted to read your review and we feel that you summed our property up perfectly. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Bernard Chênevert

Write a ReviewReviews (2,034)

Reviewed 20 March 2012

We've just returning from our three night stay at the interContinental Montreal. We decided to plan our trip around a concert, birthday and anniversary. I love investigating hotels and spent some time searching the hotel websites looking for good deals back in January. I came across the Intercontinental Montreal and we booked the Deluxe Irresistible Room.

Apon arrival at the hotel, we were treated to the attractive reception area and check-in. The front desk was polite and there was no wait. Once we had received our room keys, we ascended to the 23rd floor to our room. Upon entree I realized we were given a room with two double beds rather then one king. I called reception and they said they had two other rooms with kings but they were on the 10th and 14th floors and had less attractive views but if we would like, we could move. The view from our room on the 23rd floor was wonderful, overlooking the St. Laurence river, facing l'il bizarre and the port. We decided to stay.

The room was spotless with a contemporary decor, a large flat screen tv, mini bar, desk, chair, iPod dock, regular hotel literature, two pillow top double beds and a comfy chair with foot rest. The bathroom was a comfortable size with triangular shower, separate bath, toilet and deep sink. Basic toiletries were provided.

The first night when my fiancée attended a concert with friends, I spoke to the front desk if they could assist me in organizing some spa activities. In a matter of minutes, the front desk had arranged an appointment at an Old Montreal salon followed by a massage with one of the hotel's RMTs. While my fiancée attended a concert, I was pampered at the salon and received a skilled deep tissue massage by one of the hotel's RMTs in their health spa. At this point you could go for a swim in the pool, but I was too relaxed and returned to my room.

Following my appointments, I ordered room service which was from Osco's, the hotel's restaurant. I called using the direct line. They answered immediately addressing me using my name (nice touch). Nothing ever seemed like a bother for the staff. They are all so authentically pleasant, it really made me feel special - as if I was the only guest there. The room service was delivered within 20 minutes with a lovely additional touch - miniature cupcakes from the chef. So cute and yummy too!

The remaining nights we visited the Sarah B. Bar and ordered room service once more from Osco's. Sara B. Bar's specialty is Absinthe. We each tried it for the first time and enjoyed as the bartender introduced us to its process of dripping cold water over a sugar cube from a beautiful art nouveau styled water fountain.

Overall I absolutely love this hotel and feel I was truly treated to an exceptional experience. The hotel is so quite for sleeping, beautifully decorated, the staff are top-notch. Each day the room was straightened by housekeeping making it a wonderful retreat from our daily and nightly adventures. The location of the hotel is fantastic as well. You have an assortment of mid-priced to fine dining restaurants in close proximity. The historic streets of old Montreal, the awe inspiring cathedral of Notre Dame and the port are all only short walks away. In each direction you turn, you will be presented with the old world architecture of the city, juxtaposed with contemporary buildings - the area is a real treat for the senses.

Would I stay at the Intercontinental Montreal again. Bien sur! In a heart beat!
Thank you IM for a perfect stay.

Room Tip: Try to request a room on the higher floors overlooking the St. Lawrence.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SeasideSteph
BernardChenevert, General Manager at InterContinental Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for recommending the InterContinental Montreal. It is a pleasure to read that you had such a wonderful stay and we are delighted that you were able to take advantage of our services. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 19 March 2012

Stayed here two seperate nights in February, got the rooms for $100/night through a special "zoo" promotion.

At this price, we cannot complain a lot. The location is great, just between Old Montreal and Downtown.

WINTER TIP : It is connected to the underground city, so you can get all over downtown without going outside. Just go down and grab a map, you can get to your destination without having your ears fall off, even on the coldest day!

The rooms leave something to be desired for decor, they seem dated with burgundy reds. The bed is comfortable enough to sleep on, the "view" of the deluxe room is nothing special, you can see the port if you look way to the side...other than that you are facing another high rise unless you get very high in the building. The bathroom seems the most dated of all, the bathtub is not deep enough for a relaxing soak, and the shower is small and feels crammed.

On the 2nd night, we found out in the morning that our shower drain was virtually blocked so we couldn't take a shower. I mentioned it on checkout and the clerk just said "OK" without apologizing or recognizing that it was an actual problem. I had to mention it again to ensure she actually noted it for the maintenance people at the very least.

The concierge was very nice, we appreciated her assistance.She didn't seem to know the area as well as one would expect, but she did put in a great effort to help us find places we were specifically looking for.

If this hotel were not connected to the underground city, and if I had paid more than $100 I would certainly be removing a star here. Those two things will allow me to give a 4 star rating.

Next time I will pay a few extra $$ to try something else.

Room Tip: Ask for the highest room you can get if you want a chance at a view.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at InterContinental Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Dear QC_Phoenix,

Thank you for your review and for your stay. I am sorry that we fell below your expectations. We are hospitality professionals and strive to be the best. Your comments will be looked into. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, Please do not hesitate to let us know.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 18 March 2012

The lobby area is very nice and staff are friendly. Our room was a decent size, comfortable and clean. It is not overly luxurious but still very nice. The bed was a little uncomfortable which was the only downside to the bed. On our second night, we discovered that we were missing a coffee maker in the room. So I called and they said they would send someone up - it was about 11:00 at night, and the gentleman that came with the coffee maker said he had to install it, he couldn't just leave it with us. So then there was some guy in our room for about 10 minutes putting in the coffee maker which I thought was a little odd and unfortunate that they didn't check the room first.

Wireless internet costs an extra $15 per night. When you book the room, I would ask for the i-connect package. You can't get it at check in, but if you get it ahead of time, it is $11 a night for wireless internet plus unlimited phone calls - a much better deal.

We went to the restaurant downstairs for buffet breakfast. Definitely NOT worth it. It was a weekday (not sure if it is better on weekends), but it was $23 per person and the food was not very good, and I would have thought there would be more variety for $23. The chef who was supposed to make eggs and omelettes for you was often on a smoke break which is not helpful when you are in a rush for breakfast.

Room Tip: We paid extra for the "view" room. It was on a high floor, but about 3/4 of the view out...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank P G
Reviewed 16 March 2012

The problems began when I first booked the room. I had to call three times to both the hotel itself and the reservation call centre in order to get the rooms at the special rate I had found online. Because we were going with three children and three adults, I had requested adjoining rooms. I was advised to call the hotel directly in order to ensure I received the rooms I needed. I was finally advised by a manager at this hotel that everything was arranged, after calling a number of times. I had also asked in advance for a crib in the one room.

Upon our arrival, I was told that the rooms I had booked were not adjoining, but were at least on the same floor. This defeated the purpose as my husband and I had wanted a night out by ourselves, and this could no longer happen. When asked if there was any way they could change the rooms to adjoining ones, I was told that it was not possible. In addition, as part of the price we paid for the room, it included tickets to the closed snow village. We were not offered any compensation for this or the room mix up. I also had to ask for the crib again at check in, and 2 hours later when the staff still had not brought it up to the room. I could understand if this was the weekend, but we stayed at the hotel from Wed-Fri.

The spa staff were very friendly and offered our children life preservers as the pool is over 4 feet deep in all parts (again - not child friendly as this is a lap pool only). The breakfast buffet was very good, however the service was slow - especially in refilling the coffee! We also ate at the hotel restaurant one of the evenings, and found it to be painfully slow service! It took over an hour to receive our appetizers, and the kitchen sent out the children's meals with the first course. By the time the adults entrees arrived, the children were all whining and ready for bed. It did nothing for a relaxing meal for our family, nor I'm sure the other patrons in the restaurant! In addition, our waiter did not know what was included with the children's meals, and we had to have him readjust our bills.

The rooms and hotel common areas were very clean, and the housekeeping staff were very efficient and friendly. Our bathroom was very large and had a separate shower/bath. Another pro was the proximity of the hotel to Old Montreal. The bellmen were also very helpful in providing directions and umbrellas as it was pouring rain.

I would not come to this hotel again with my family as this is obviously not the clientele this hotel is seeking.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
BernardChenevert, General Manager at InterContinental Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Dear Guest,

We thank you for sharing your comments on our hotel following your stay with us.

We are truly sorry for the inconveniences you experienced with the room assignment. Although we do not guarantee room type prior to guest’s arrival, we do our utmost to accommodate all requests. Unfortunately, we only have a limited number of communicating rooms and perhaps we did not have any available when you arrived which could be due to departures being slow in the morning which created a shortage of clean communicating rooms. We also apologize for the delay in sending up a crib, you may rest assured that the department head was informed in order for procedures to be reviewed with the employees.

As the entrance to Montreal Snow Village was subject to weather constraints, we do apologize for the unfortunate early closure of the site, which was closed for safety reasons.

Lastly, we are sorry for the service you received in our restaurant Osco! We have viewed your remarks as constructive, as they have definitely assisted us in resolving these problems.

On a good note we are delighted to read that you found the location of our hotel convenient and that our bellmen were serviceable. Thank you for your kind comments in regards to our guestrooms and common areas being very clean. We will certainly pass along your kind observations regarding the quality of the housekeeping service to our team members, as well as to our bellmen, who do such a wonderful job.

Reviewed 15 March 2012

Excellent location for old Montreal and waterfront. Breakfast buffet was good with excellent service . No complaints whatsoever.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Torontobeacher123
Reviewed 7 March 2012

It has been a very long time since I have been to Montreal. What a nice welcome to come back too. The staff at this hotel were amazing, truly amazing! Friendly and welcoming. We enjoyed the food, the service, the lounge, concierge service, rooms - not a bad word to say about anything. Kudos to all of you and we will return as soon as we can!

Besides the fact that everything was great this a wonderful location because you can walk easily enough throughout Old Montreal, easy to get to if you are taking the Metro, get out at Square Victoria and it is a short walk underground right into the hotel....very nice on a minus 25 degree day!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Holakat
BernardChenevert, General Manager at InterContinental Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2012

Dear Guest,

What a delight for us to read that you enjoyed your stay at the InterContinental Montreal and in Montréal! We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!