“Outstanding Experience, all around!”

Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain
Ranked #40 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Victoria, BC
“Outstanding Experience, all around!”
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I stayed at this beautiful hotel for a conference in the middle of April, for 4 days and thought it was fantastic. I was greeted by the doorman and whenever we came and went, the doors were opened for us. The folks behind the front desk always had a smile and were so kind and professional - it's nice to see. They're doing it right, here!
I had an upgraded room on the 33rd floor facing West (overlooking the Canadiens arena and train station). It looked like it was brand-new so I'm guessing they recently renovated.
Our conference required the use of multiple meeting rooms (for meals, presentations, receptions etc) and all of the rooms were perfectly suited for their purpose. The grand ballroom downstairs suited our function perfectly and the Cafe Conc was excellent as well - one of the most unique spaces I've ever been in - it's a tiered/auditorium style seating area with a large stage at the front, allowing you to listen to a speaker/entertainment while enjoying your meal. Turns out, this place has quite a bit of history to it to boot - just ask any of the staff.

As for location - I found it to be excellent, personally. Close to shopping, dining and the train station. The Starbucks and retail arcade off the lobby was beneficial as well. The only thing I did not get to try was the pool/gym area. Our conference kept us a little to busy for that.

I would definitely choose this hotel again and can't wait for the opportunity to do so. I encourage others to as well - you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (484)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Abbotsford
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I went to a conference and had the pleasure of staying at this hotel. From check in to check out it was amazing. The perfect combination of professionalism and friendliness. The rooms are well appointed and very very clean with a spectacular view on the city. Congratulations on an excellent housekeeping staff. The food was amazing which is saying a lot when it comes to banquet food. Every meal was a treat for the senses. The all of the serving staff were fantastic but i do have to say that Jose was my favorite. There were over 100 attendees and yet he remembered me and what my preferences were especially with wine. Had a very quite sense of humor that made you feel welcome and special. While there are lots of restaurants in the area do try theirs. You will not be disappointed.
We did get some free time and this location is perfect for walking to Old Montreal, St Catherines and Sherbrooke Street.
I highly recommend this property if you are going to Montreal for business or for pleasure.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room in the hotel but the higher you are the better the view.
Ottawa
Reviewed 17 April 2012

This hotel has recently undergone renovations to the guestrooms and the results are fantastic. Wonderful beds with comfy pillows and a cosy duvet but best of all a reading light on the headboard. The desk was large and functional. Of course the view was to die for! The hotel is centrally located within walking distance of the train station, St. Catherine Street for shopping and old Montreal. The staff are outstanding - very welcoming and helpful no matter what time of day you see them.

I will be back again on my next visit to Montreal!

Room Tip: Anything on the higher floor gets you a fantastic view of the city.
1 Thank DAB8899
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I stayed at the Montreal Marriott on Sunday and had one of the best hotel experiences in a long time. Self parking was available and I much prefer this over valet. The man working at the front desk was very accommodating when I asked for a room on a high floor, even though we booked through a third party website. The view was absolutely gorgeous and the half moon shaped windows that have been mentioned many times on the reviews are just beautiful. The bell boy was very friendly, helpful and genuine, thanks Samuel! Everyone we encountered was very polite and professional. At the Montreal Marriott you are actually treated like a valued guest. The location was great. It was about a 5 minute walk to Crescent street. This is the only place I will stay in downtown Montreal. Stay here: you'll be happy you did!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
ontario
Reviewed 10 April 2012

The first night we arrived, we needed to switch rooms as there was a clanking coming from the air conditioning unit. (Which by the way was not available at this time of year) They put us in another room but it only had one bed and we were a party of 4. They apologized and we needed to move yet again. The next room was a nother clanking but not as bad so we stayed there the first night. They were very sorry and tried to find us another room the next day. We moved rooms again. They don't have dual air conditioning/heating systems so they are in between seasons. They don't have any air conditioning on. This room was climbing past 75degrees farenheit. We were boiling. We called down and they offered to OPEN a window. We were on the 26th floor of the chateau champlain. Half moon windows that don't have screens are not meant to open. We have kids. They thought this was an acceptable solution, leaving the window open that my kid literally could have fit through. We finally slept in the heat, demanded our money back for the night and moved hotels to the Hilton Boneventure..Stay there! The air was on, the rooms were extremely quiet. The beds were a little smaller than the ones at the Marriott but we finally got some peace and quiet and were treated like people at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jam05Ontario
North Hampton, New Hampshire
Reviewed 9 April 2012

When you walk into the lobby of this commanding building in Montreal you are immediately met with a sense of history. If the walls could talk I am sure that there would be lots of stories of the people and groups that have stayed at the property. The location is very good - a quick walk to the canals with the bike paths that lead you all over this lovely city, a very quick walk to the hustle and bustle of St. Catherine's Street, and a nice stroll to Old Montreal. One discovery during this trip was a very brief elevator ride to 'Underground Montreal' and all of the passageways and walkways to the circuitous shopping and dining venues. There are a number of eating establishments in walking distance above ground as well - not to mention a short block walk to the Bell Center. The people here are great - the breakfast buffet had a decent selection and our room (Room 2911) was as quiet as can be. We will definitely plan to stay at the Chateau Champlain again - and would recommend it to others with enthusiasm!

Room Tip: I would recommend a room in the corner away from the elevators!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Stayed that for the weekend, and was felt very welcomed right away as I arrived midnight Friday. This is not the first time I've stayed in this hotel but it is the first time I provided feedback.

Got a room with a decent view. While I was there over the weekend, the hotel was quiet, and that is a huge plus for me. The executive lounge is also very nice but unfortunately they are not open during the weekends. However, they do compensate for the inconvenience by letting you dine in their restaurant for breakfast, which offers great breakfast selection.

I also felt the hotel staff is friendlier this time around, not sure if they have changed since I stayed there last year, but I hope it wasn't a coincidence. The location is good, close to the train station, close to downtown St. Catherine, but also far enough away from the main crowd to be quiet.

Room Tip: There are two Rueben's restaurant nearby, and if you are a fan of Smoked Meats or Deli style res...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Manager980, General Manager at Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear KingmanP,
Thank you for your praise of the service you received. Your positive comments will be passed along to our team.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Chateau on your next visit to Montreal.