Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
dmathnz
Toronto, Canada

Great value and location

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Jul 10, 2012
I stayed in the Royal Victoria College in late June 2012. The location at the top of University St is excellent. The room with a double bed, couch, desk and ensuite bathroom was great value although a little worn.

The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. The wireless internet was fine.

The only two negatives I have are the floor in the room needed a good sweep or vacuum and the bed was uncomfortably thin. Still for the price and location this is a great choice for a budget traveller.
Date of stay: June 2012
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5.0 of 5 bubblesValue
    C$256
    C$266
2.2 km from McGill Student Apartments
View more hotels in Montreal
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I stayed 4 nights (end of May 2012). The room has a mini fridge, twin bed, and lots of closet space (See pictures).
If you open the windows, there is enough cold air in the evenings that you shouldn’t need the fan…but at the reception they have lots of fans for rent.

I cant comment on the kitchen area. I never used it or saw it.

Positives:
Great downtown location. About 3 blocks from McGill metro station.
Inexpensive, if you have a student ID, you pay ~$CAN 45 per night.
I was in floor 4, and it was quiet, no loud/rude resident.
Super clean room and shared bathroom. All the sheets and towels at arrival were super clean.
Polite staff. One lady on the last night woke me up (per request) at 5am.
24 hr studio room in first floor with computers (internet) for free usage.
Comfortable bed.

Negatives:
Thin walls. The first 3 nights there was no-one next to my door. The last night a person arrived and I could hear her cel phone ringing. So, bring your ear plugs/etc, or something to put in your ears.

(Due to my sleeping with windows open)
Construction during weekdays. There was loud construction at ~8am on Monday morning.

There is a loud air conditioning unit on the first floor that I could hear from the 4th floor…but I was so tired at the end of the day that I slept great every day of my visit.

Date of stay: May 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
7  Thank panedu50
Reviewed January 31, 2012

Stayed at Royal Victoria College, in the don's room. Has double bed, desk and own bathroom, and costs about $75. It's very clean and the location can't be beat. The McGill campus is stunning, and you just walk straight up the road to get to Mont-Royal and you're steps from downtown and the subways.

No air conditioning though, so it can get really hot in the summer!

Room tip: If you want a private bathroom and more space, ask for a don's room.
Date of stay: August 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
6  Thank squirrelkebab
Reviewed January 19, 2012

GREAT location for the price (I paid $40 a night at the Royal Victoria college). Close to everything. Room is nothing special (looks almost like my first university dorm), but was nice and quiet.
The only issue was parking (had to park at a private lot a few blocks away which wasn't cheap), but even with that extra cost it is still great overall value.

Date of stay: July 2011
Trip type: Travelled solo
7  Thank Sheena C
Reviewed July 4, 2011

stayed at the McGill Royal Victoria College dorm room for 50 dollars. Shared bathroom. Right near the campus and a quick metro ride to anywhere. Great museums nearby or hike up to Mont Royal.

Date of stay: July 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank 2Midwest
Reviewed September 25, 2005

I stayed at Bishop Mountain Hall twice in August, and was very satisfied. My room was very clean on both stays, no complaints there.

A few things I did not like were:

The cafeteria shuts down breakfast at about 9:30 or so.
Rooms on one half of each building housed men, and the other half housed women.

There is NO air conditioning, although the windows open a fair bit.

The last time I was there, I was in McConnell room 436, and there was a bright floodlight that is used to light the field at night that was left on until late one night, even when no one was using the field, and I had to call security to have the lights shut off.

Other than that, I had a very pleasant stay.

I actually thought that this was better than the Crowne Plaza (now the 'Plaza Hotel Montreal'), where I had a horrible experience. It was certainly a $46.01 per night well spent.

Date of stay: August 2005