Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Nyllie
Eugene, Oregon

Great value, hostel alternative

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Aug 11, 2015via mobile
I stayed at the Royal Victoria College residence hall for three nights. This is a fantastic alternative for someone who wants more privacy than a hostel, for only a marginally higher cost.

Location is the big selling point. Right downtown and across from McGill and near tons of shops and restaurants, and metro station. Not close to Old Montreal, but I liked that it was a non-tourist neighborhood.

Room was very dorm-like, with a twin bed, desk, storage area, and large mini fridge. The bathroom had 3 shower stalls and three toilets, and I barely saw anyone in there. Good water pressure and plenty of hot water. Secure wifi. Room came with towels and bar of bath and body works soap. Front desk was always staffed. There was a washer/dryer and kitchenette on the floor. Bring earplugs if you're sensitive, but things were pretty quiet overall. It got a little warm during the day without AC, but it cooled down at night.
Date of stay: August 2015
    C$230
2.2 km from McGill Student Apartments
Pool
View more hotels in Montreal
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed May 10, 2015

I traveled to Montreal in Aug 2014 for Osheaga (yearly music festival) and they had these rooms bundled with the festival tickets. I thought it was a great price and everyone was helpful. The room is a dorm room so don't expect any frills. It's just like it was when you were probably dorming away in school. During the festival the men/boys had their own floors while the ladies were on another. I'm not sure if this is how they do it the rest of the time they make the rooms available. All the girls shared a restroom that had 3 stalls and 2 showers. I never really ran into any of the other girls staying there so it wasn't so bad having a shared bathroom.

The room did have a lot of storage space and a closet, as well as a mini-fridge. There was free WiFi which was helpful as there is no television in the room. So if you want to keep yourself entertained bring a good book, or laptop/tablet. The college is really close to transportation and places to eat. I love Montreal because it is like every other major city that has convenience written all over it. I would definitely stay here again if I were traveling alone.

Also please be advised that there is no A/C as well. I went in August and the weather was pleasant so I was able to open the window and sleep comfortably.

Date of stay: August 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Sapphirazz
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at Royal Victoria College recently on a visit to Montreal. The room was spacious, the shared bathrooms were very basic but clean, there was free wifi and the location was fantastic - most of the main attractions (including the Jazz Festival) were easily walkable. The only downside was that it can be a bit noisy at night - a lot of emergency vehicles seem to pass nearby with their sirens on. This wasn't an issue for us but is something to note for light sleepers.

Date of stay: June 2014
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank jupey12
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Is the first and I think is going to be the best camp I'll ever be in my life. Thw people took care of the campers lik they were protecting somebody of the family, they mada us feel completely comfortable, this part was awesome. The student apartments were nice, the bedrooms were comfortable too, the only thing is that they were small but i guess it's enough for a single person in 3, 4 or 5 weeks. The place was very pleasant with 2 big spaces where everybody could stay toguether and spend a time. It was the best summer of my whole life, hope I do it again.

Date of stay: July 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
4  Thank Giovanna C
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I stayed in the Royal Victoria College in late June 2012. The location at the top of University St is excellent. The room with a double bed, couch, desk and ensuite bathroom was great value although a little worn.

The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. The wireless internet was fine.

The only two negatives I have are the floor in the room needed a good sweep or vacuum and the bed was uncomfortably thin. Still for the price and location this is a great choice for a budget traveller.

Date of stay: June 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
6  Thank dmathnz
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I stayed 4 nights (end of May 2012). The room has a mini fridge, twin bed, and lots of closet space (See pictures).
If you open the windows, there is enough cold air in the evenings that you shouldn’t need the fan…but at the reception they have lots of fans for rent.

I cant comment on the kitchen area. I never used it or saw it.

Positives:
Great downtown location. About 3 blocks from McGill metro station.
Inexpensive, if you have a student ID, you pay ~$CAN 45 per night.
I was in floor 4, and it was quiet, no loud/rude resident.
Super clean room and shared bathroom. All the sheets and towels at arrival were super clean.
Polite staff. One lady on the last night woke me up (per request) at 5am.
24 hr studio room in first floor with computers (internet) for free usage.
Comfortable bed.

Negatives:
Thin walls. The first 3 nights there was no-one next to my door. The last night a person arrived and I could hear her cel phone ringing. So, bring your ear plugs/etc, or something to put in your ears.

(Due to my sleeping with windows open)
Construction during weekdays. There was loud construction at ~8am on Monday morning.

There is a loud air conditioning unit on the first floor that I could hear from the 4th floor…but I was so tired at the end of the day that I slept great every day of my visit.

Date of stay: May 2012