Lock in the lowest price from these sites
goerge4
Ottawa, Canada

Once upon a time at the university of montreal

2.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed May 29, 2023
i used to go here , in the twin towers in the 1990's and the early 2000s.. it was great.. there was often not that many people on the level and it was very cheap.. under $40..
i miss those times..
now..it's in that new tower and i had my stuff stolen plus my GP tickets because the door didn't lock right.. and the last time i was there..there were roaches when i opened the light..

They used to let me rent a room in the 'annexe' and that was perfect..but one day, when i got there.. their computer did not work so i paid for 2 nights with my bank card..
little do you know, i shop up early hours in the morning and these clowns put a sign on the door saying i was going to be kicked out in the morning saying i did not pay the room.. how did i get the key you idiots?

this is what happens when you let un-experience people run your stuff..
did i mention that the parking is now $20??

i'm..not visiting montreal anymore
Date of stay: June 2022
Room Tip: used to be nice..don't go
Trip type: Travelled solo
    C$263
    C$263
4.5 km from Universite de Montreal Residence
View more hotels in Montreal
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed May 1, 2019 via mobile

Even though it is a residence and although are cheap, it is not recommendable. Parking is 20$ (!!!) and the walls are paper thin, so every small noise is heard. There is a weird smell on the hallways and no wifi in the room.
The bathrooms are shared so that does not provide much privacy either. The staff seemed a bit as if they didn’t care. I would avoid this place. Plus is that it’s close to the metro and that beds are nice.
Everything else is a bit poor.

Date of stay: May 2019
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Student's residences aren't 5 ***** ...... but if you're looking for a great value at the lowest rates available, U de M Residences are a very good pick .... My sleep was great despite no A/C (fan only) .... my room was fine, so was the bed ...It was calm in the place, on the North side of Mount Royal ..... You're not downtown, but access to is easy via Metro (Sub) 2 stations nearby or even bus #51 ....From there you can also bike easily to everywhere in the City using bike routes .... tourist info center now publishes a plan of them ....

What I disliked was that the parking is a bit far and not easily accessible ...... also they didn't accept to check me in before the "3 pm rule" despite I was there 2 hours earlier and the room was ready !!!.... lost precious time waiting ....

But young people working there were very courteous ..... Would return for the same reasons I did ( biking, economy, relaxing solo evasion ...) .....

Room tip: Should ask a room in the Casgrain Tower on high floors.
Date of stay: August 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank GoBolts4
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

I paid $400 for 8 nights. So my expectations were fair and were met/exceeded!

Rooms were clean although sparse and not air conditionned. Yes I was hot, but for $50/ night. It was expected! The "superior"
room included a fan.

The bathrooms were cleaned daily but the common room and bedrooms only once during my stay.

There was a fridge in the room & microwave and tv in the common room down the hall.

It was very quiet all week. No issues with doors or elevators or other guests.

Free internet at reception.

Location was adequate but not ideal. Very few restaurants, coffee shops nearby (none really handy) and a few subways or buses needed to get downtown but again....for $50 / night. I am not complaining!!!! I was familiar with bus routes that were sometimes faster than subway that could require two connections.

If you have a weekend budget but want to stay a week. This place is great! But it's not a hotel! It's a really nice hostel with private rooms...

Date of stay: July 2013
1  Thank careau
Reviewed July 25, 2010

The general conditions are set out by the previous review. Internet is NOT included and when you purchase the internet service, you will have to buy an internet cord from them that costs $10 unless you have one. (they don't have wifi) It gets pretty hot in the summer, there isn't even a fan in the rooms of the 2350 building.

This is what happened to my particular floor: filthy washroom, dirty common area, noisy partying neighbor. And worst of all, the customer service sucks. I called to report this situation but management did nothing.

Yes I know the price is cheap here, but if you can afford it please rent somewhere else.

Date of stay: July 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
3  Thank kka280
Reviewed June 23, 2010

This property, known as Les Studios Hotels, is a dorm at the Universite de Montreal that is rented to tourists during summer when school is not in session. While the photos on the website make it look airy and cheery, the rooms are in reality quite grim. I was attending a conference at U de M, and this dorm was recommended.

Upon first checking in I felt I had made a huge mistake. I do not have high standards for hotels, but the room was dark, dank, stuffy, tiny, dusty, smelly, and just plain ugly. There is shared bath. There are ten rooms to a floor with a women's and a men's bathroom on each floor. Each bathroom has only a single toilet and two shower stalls. A single toilet is not enough, and I had to wait in line several times. However, each room has a sink so you can brush your teeth and wash your face in private.

Rooms do not have air conditioning but are equipped with a fan. The biggest mercy is that the windows open. I kept my window open the entire time, which dissipated the unpleasant dank and stuffy smell. While it was hot some of the time I was visiting, I was on the north side of the building and therefore didn't get hot air coming through the window so the temperature was pleasant without the fan.

Rooms have a refrigerator, and each floor has a lounge with microwave.

Internet is wired and available for an extra charge.

The bed is a hard rubber futon-type mattress with a single plastic-coated pillow. Towel and face cloth are provided.

There is no fitness center, but you can pay $8 to work out at the nearby university gym.

Staff is bilingual and willing to speak English (and to put up with my very bad French). There is a dedicated phone to call a taxi in the front lobby area.

The dorm is a five minute walk from two metro stations (Universite de Montreal and Edouard-Monpetit, both on the Blue line), from which the rest of the city is easily accessible. There is also a Bixi bike rental stand at the Marie-Casgrain dorm building.

After a day or two I became accustomed to the room and no longer felt that it was an absolute misery to stay there, and my final rating is that the price ($40/night) made the stay worth it. However, if you have high, or even moderate, standards you will probably not be happy here.

Date of stay: June 2010