“For a special occasion”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Quartier des Spectacles
Reviewed July 25, 2016

I went there for my birthday with 2 friends. It was indeed expensive, but at least we felt like it was worth it as its a special experience. Everything we had was super fancy and absolutely delicious. The wine was excellent, private importation, and not even that expensive. If you have a big appetite and you are the "big steak and potatoes" type of eater, I would not recommend it. But if you like delicate tastes and interesting combinations, you may enjoy this place. We stayed for quite a while and had a very good service throughout. I would go back, for a special occasion.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,170)

Reviewed July 25, 2016

Ambiance, food, drinks, service...I went there twice and was satisfied, more than satisfied both times. Classical, yet provocative, original...the wines suggested were perfect, the service very "au point" there is ntohing I did not like there; even the prices are reasonnable for this kind of restaurant. You will not make a mistake there.

1  Thank MHM0ntreal
Reviewed July 25, 2016

With just one night in this great city teeming with tempting restaurants, how could we choose the right one, one that would be special and memorable? I had started thinking about this before our stay and had used Trip Advisor to identify several possibilities. However, we arrived in Montreal without having made a final choice and therefore having no reservation in place. So now it’s mid-afternoon on Saturday, the internet connection in our hotel has gone down and we must resort to asking our hotel concierge for some recommendations. He first tested our interest with a pub-style restaurant and a steakhouse, both of which we dismissed as too ordinary. Understanding that we were looking for a special experience and liked high quality, imaginative meals, he homed in on Bouillon Bilk, mentioning its tasting menu and its reputation for using only the best ingredients. It also happened to be within walking distance of our hotel, so we agreed and were delighted that he was able to secure a 9pm reservation for us at short notice.

We then left the hotel for an afternoon walk down to the Old Port. This took us across Blvd St-Laurent, so we decided to take a look at Bouillon Bilk on the way back. St-Laurent is not one of the most attractive streets in Montreal and as we later worked our way along it, we began to wonder if we had made the right choice. We could accept the idea that the food was more important than the physical surroundings, but did feel a bit let down when we arrived in front of a nondescript, unnamed restaurant between two cheap electrical goods stores in a tired old building with a façade of faded brown siding. We then saw the name on the window confirming that this was actually Bouillon Bilk. It didn’t look too inviting. However, peering through the window of the still-closed restaurant we concluded that it appeared clean, if somewhat spartan and clinical, and we would stick with it.

Returning later for our meal we found the restaurant larger than we had thought and almost full with a mixed crowd of those for whom it was an event and others whose very casual dress and demeanour suggested they were regulars just popping in for a bite, or diners for whom a $300+ meal for two didn't warrant an occasion calling for dress such as long pants and a smart casual shirt. We were welcomed promptly and warmly and given a choice of two tables. Our server was friendly and helpful, listening to our questions and explaining the dining options. We decided on the Tasting Menu with eight courses for $85 per person. We declined the $70 per person matching wine selection and asked if might be possible to select one wine that would go well with all the dishes. Even as I asked, I thought that was probably a tall order, but was impressed by the sommelier’s patience and ability to explain the options in a way that enabled us to come to a logical choice. It turned out to be not only a logical choice, but a perfect one, too. We were amazed at how well the red wine we chose matched every dish. As for the food itself, each plate delighted the eye and the taste buds with its subtle and delicious flavours and textures. I kept a copy of the menu, knowing I wouldn’t remember the composition of each dish, but even looking at it now, I’d be lying if I said I could recall the appearance and flavour of each cleverly assembled mini-masterpiece. It doesn’t matter, though, because it was about living in the moment, admiring the perfect presentation and savouring every mouthful, enjoying the ambience and even the rather minimalistic décor, designed presumably to let nothing distract from the food itself.

Highly recommended for those who prefer quality over quantity and who enjoy the artistry, subtlety and sheer inventiveness of a chef who creates such clever and satisfying recipes. Don’t let the uninspiring exterior put you off. All is well on the inside.

Reviewed July 25, 2016

Went here for a birthday dinner with family (adults). The quality of food is great. There is a chef in the kitchen that knows what they're doing.
We had a great time as the staff was fantastic, the atmosphere was calm. Not a place for a family dinner with small children. A great place to go for a special occasion.

Reviewed July 23, 2016

Oh it was great, really great. It was our first time so we chose the tasting menu with wine pairing. Eight courses. Each course and wine was explained in detailed, staff is great, some models among them and you just could enjoy looking how they serve other clients. We liked lobster, intriguing fois-gras with strawberry and caramelized nuts, tasty squad. I am not sure about right wine pairing, two wines looked similar, but we are not experts. It is not cheap, but you need to pay for the art cooking.