Montreal Botanical Gardens
Open today: 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Book In Advance

Ways to Experience Montreal Botanical Gardens
from US$18.05
More Info
from US$89.27
More Info
6,838 results
All reviews chinese garden rose garden alpine garden full bloom lantern festival butterfly exhibit bonsai trees jardin botanique first nations olympic stadium sunny day insectarium japanese lanterns gardening cactus lilac
Reviewed September 9, 2018

Recently visited this botanical garden with my family of four, including two children of ages 7 and 11, as part of a vacation in Canada.

My wife and I had been there once before. I've always been impressed with this attraction, in fact it's been our favorite botanical garden anywhere. It's big and has many different themed areas. The Chinese Garden and Japanese Garden are spectacular. We didn't have enough time to visit the entirety of the park, so we focused our attention on those two areas. However it was difficult because there were so many diverting sights along the way to those areas.

If there were more time, I would have wanted to visit the edible plants section. I remember it from the previous visit. There was a coffee tree, a black pepper tree, and other interesting tropical food plants.

Our two kids were far from bored; they couldn't get enough. I could barely keep up with them as they zipped from place to place, taking photos of everything and posing for photos, insisting on exploring thoroughly to make sure we didn't miss anything. My wife has declared this garden her favorite activity of our trip. It was a consensus, this was a hit.

Bonus: the Insectarium is included with admission to this garden and is contained within the park. I will be reviewing our visit to the Insectarium separately.

Huge recommendation. This should be included in any visit to Montreal. Consider making this an all-day visit, or at least half a day.

Reviewed September 8, 2018

The gardens of lights (Jardins de lumieres) is always popular and well done. For best experience (our views) choose the 30 min entry allowing you to be there before sunset. Best light to capture your memories! Definitely a great walk and enhance these magical gardens!

Reviewed September 8, 2018 via mobile

Easy journey from downtown on the green metro line and well signposted 15 minutes walk to the ticket office. The greenhouses are good place to warm up, with interesting sections dedicated to food plants, begonias, orchids, arid landscapes, Japanese bonsai and ferns. Then explore the outstanding outdoor gardens. Our favourites were the alpine garden and huge rockery, the vegetable and medicinal gardens and the perennials. The Chinese garden is amazing but was set up for the night time light festival. The woodland garden of the First Nations is a nice contrast with a small pavilion of native people’s crafts and culture. Gardens are home to many monarch butterflies and busy bees. Insectarium is interesting but prefer more live exhibits than displays of dead insects. Overall suggest 2-3 hours to explore at slow pace. Plants all well labelled. Garden restaurant serves good value select of fresh sandwiches and soup.

Reviewed September 8, 2018

Visited in the morning of Sept 4th. It was very hot. The location was easy to get to with the signs directing you to the location. If you take the metro you have to walk 5 mins uphill. My favorites were the Japanese and Chinese gardens. They had decorations that were very vibrant and went well with the surroundings.
If you are visiting Montreal for the first time I suggest you get the MTL pass on tripadvisor or viator. This pass will save you money and you will have access to various sites.

Reviewed September 8, 2018

We really enjoyed the gardens. Unfortunately they were out of English maps, we found it a bit difficult to navigate, as well as not many directional arrows to follow