“One of the best hotel experiences of my life!”
Review of LHotel

LHotel
Ranked #19 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I've stayed in many hotels all over the world in my 16 years in the military, and the LHotel Montreal was perhaps one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. The customer service was unbelievable! From the minute we arrived, we were treated to the very best of Montreal. Immediately had linens and baby bed brought to our room, hotel staff helped us with parking, room service super quick. Daniel even ran after us to ensure we didn't leave a baby blanket behind as we left. If we are ever in Montreal again, we will stay at the LHotel for sure. As I said, one of the best experiences in hotel stay I've ever had!

Room Tip: We simply told them we had a 9 month old son and they gave us a bigger room so that we had room for...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank mosesf16
There are newer reviews for LHotel

Reviewed 19 December 2011

Our testimony is first “on merit” and then “comparative” on scale 1 to 5. On its merits, our Superior room gets top score 5 for cleanliness, 5 for bedding comfort and linen, 5 for service, friendliness, instant assistance,5 for peace and quiet, 5 for location if you’re on business, attending a conference or visiting Old Montreal. One must add modernization of the structure was followed by a real effort to furnish with first class antiques. A nice and cozy assemblage. This was the closest we’ve come to a room of similar size and price in Cordoba, Spain, last year.
We bring up “comparative” because the competition within 300 feet is the Intercontinental, the Westin, and Hotels of the World. So if you are looking for 24-hour upscale restaurant; or to build up frequent traveler points; or a bar in the room; or a swimming pool; or in-house link to Montreal’s unique underground shopping, then you have to consciously decide to go without it. L’Hotel was carved out of a 1930ies bank building and reminds one of European standards; the owners focused on arts, displays and beautiful furniture of yonder years. Most or all the paintings on the wall are for sale. Renovations are up to par : WiFi, iPod dock, 40inch super TV, it’s all there: Pleasant, well done, spacious. But I wouldn’t bring babies and young kids though it is not impossible.

Room Tip: Well insulated all over, very quiet
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank zeniatrips
Reviewed 16 December 2011

Discreet, refine, easy access to view one of the best private art collection in the world.
I fell in love over here. Above par service...

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Karine R
Reviewed 12 December 2011

The location of LHotel is excellent, the staff were great but what makes this hotel stand out to me is the size of the rooms and the height of the ceilings. I very often find hotel rooms stuffy with complicated ventilation systems that are noisy and hard to in this hotel the room is quietly ventilated all of the time, even the bathroom does not have a separate noisy fan. The rooms have just a thermostat on the wall to control the temperature. The bed was super comfortable and everything was very clean. I don't know if all the hotel rooms were the same size as ours but it was also a real plus. It is just a 5 minute walk from the Palais des Congres so great if you are in town for an event there.

My tip: Check out the Royal Bank just down the road from the hotel. It feels like a set from Harry Potter and you can walk right as the bank machines are at the back of the bank.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank RonDorado
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I surprised my husband for his 50th birthday and took him to Montreal for three days in December. We live in New York City so it was a short 1-1/2 hour flight. It was second trip to Montreal, his first. We stayed at L'Hotel in the old part of Montreal. I booked a King Suite room and were given the Roy Lichtenstein suite. It was fabulous! The 2-room suite was huge. The bed was large and comfortable. There was a fireplace and 5 windows in the room. The second room had a couch, table and fridge. The bathroom was terrific with a memorable steam shower. The staff, especially Nicholas, was amazing. They even sent us a bottle of champagne! I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone vacationing in Montreal and I hope to stay here again.

Room Tip: All 4 suites are corner rooms and very bright.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Suzanne1776
Reviewed 7 December 2011

My sons and I spent Thanksgiving weekend at LHotel, Montreal. The rooms were spacious and the beds and pillows luxurious. The staff was very helpful and always pleasant. All out inquiries were handles quickly and efficiently. Breakfast was very nice and ample choices were available on the buffet. The croissants were heaven. Hope to go back in spring or summer.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank Mom-of-Max
Reviewed 30 November 2011

There are plenty of good hotels to choose from in Montreal, but if the price is right then I would certainly recommend LHotel.

First of all the location is very good for business or leisure. You're close to the water, have many great attractions within walking distance and are also well served by nearby public transport. I didn't drive, but noted a popular open air parking lot directly behind the hotel. There is a bike hire stand just up the street which I made use of (not operational in the winter months) and found to be a great way to see the city. There are some wonderful places to eat nearby. I highly recommend lunch or dinner at Ferreira Cafe, which was a real highlight of my trip.

As you ascend the steps into the hotel, if you're like me you'll probably head to the obvious desk at the top. Wrong! This was the concierge desk and for the bar. Just to the right was the 'front desk'. Check-in with swift and friendly. It was explained that Wi-fi was complimentary, but breakfast is an option extra, I passed on breakfast during my stay as I like to check out local spots.

My superior room was very nicely appointed. It wasn't huge, but perfectly fine for a lone traveller like myself. If I were a couple, I might pay the extra and get a suite. I walked past a few while they were being cleaned and they appear much more spacious. As other mention, big windows and high ceiling make the rooms very bright and airy. The bed was good and noise was minimal at all times.

My only real complaints were the lack of free power outlets in my room. The only free one I could find was under the writing desk and a bit fiddly to get to. Accessing another one required unplugging a lamp. The television (which I don't really care about) also suffered from a fairly grainy picture quality, which seems to be an issue at many hotels for some reason. Some people may find the hotel a bit light on services and amenities, the room service is minimal and there are no fridges/minibars in the rooms for example.

I spent a bit of time at the bar. During the week it was very quiet, but perhaps gets busier at the weekend. The prices aren't exactly cheap, but also not horrendous. The selection of wines and beers are very good, food choices are minimal. The service was warm and friendly, the bartender told me that the building was formally a bank, the beautiful wooden staircase you see in the bar is original and adds to the grandness of the room and all its wonderful artwork.

So overall recommended if the price is competitive vs other luxury hotels. I would certainly stay again, but would check a few other good hotel rates before pulling the trigger.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business