“Centrally located artful hotel with unmatched hospitality”
Review of LHotel

LHotel
Ranked #20 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Astoria, New York
“Centrally located artful hotel with unmatched hospitality”
Reviewed 7 January 2012

A girlfriend and I had an amazing week in Montreal just after Labor Day. What stands out the most about this hotel is the mind blowing hospitality. Every time we asked the front desk staff for anything, they could not do enough to help us - we asked where something was and 2-3 staff would be checking and double checking maps, sharing their opinions and more. Everything they recommended was a complete hit. They were all so dedicated to ensuring we found what we needed, and it was so very much appreciated!

Of equal importance was the location - a short walk to the cobblestone streets in the Old Port & all of its shops, bars & restaurants, while also a short walk to the Metro, the wonderful Notre Dame Basilica & light show and some great restaurants on the same street or one street over.

The rooms were really spacious and the modern, Warhol-esque pop art all around was super fun.

The lobby was also a chill place to talk & hang out, and also where I discovered how much I loved a loved a local beer that the staff recommended. They also had a Brazilian band one night during happy hour, which was a nice touch.

We also really enjoyed visiting the Botanic Gardens - especially the Japanese Gardens within; eating smoked meat & Poutine; shopping Rue St. Denis & Rue St. Laurent, and nightlife in Le Village. The most beautiful colorfully painted and landscaped townhouse I've ever seen I found en route from Rue St. Denis to Rue St. Laurent. In old Montreal, a drink at the rooftop bar above Hotel Nelligan is great for happy hour/sunset if it's nice out and quite a busy scene. L'Express had totally delicious French food & not too pricey. Had to make a reservation in advance. Le Nil Bleu is an Ethiopian restaurant that the concierge recommended & I went but they had closed for lunch so I missed it. I never went to St. Elizabeth's pub but my friend Bobby went & said it has an amazing vibe.

And if you like orange soda or cream soda you must try a Crush cream soda mousse - a perfect combo of the two.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
7 Thank scubascubagirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I was attending a meeting in downtown Montreal in December 2011, and decided this time to stay closer to Old Montreal. I normally stay in downtown Montreal and had never had a stay better than just average. This time was different! I truly enjoyed every minute of my stay at the l'Hotel.

I was before arriving a bit concerned if I would regret the added daily walking to downtown, but no! Walk through the Palais des congrès de Montréal, the Guy Favreau Complex, and Complexe Desjardins, and you're downtown. One morning it was raining hard, yet I barely got wet. Of course you can also take the metro or for instance bus 55. There is a very nice cafe just across the street from the l'Hotel where I would have my morning coffee. Or, if you insist, a Tim Horton next to the metro station. Enjoying evenings in Old Montreal, even in winter, was an added bonus. The lights on close-by Notre-Dame Basilica, the old buildings, and the many good restaurants close to the hotel was great. The selection of good restaurants was better than in downtown itself, and with many more nice cafes.

The staff at the l'Hotel was wonderful and caring. The Christmas lights outside, the art work in the lobby, the high ceilings, and the furniture all let one fell welcome as soon as you arrive. I stayed on the 4th floor. The room was spacious, wonderfully decorated, and in very good condition. Finally a hotel room where it is actually nice to work! Free wifi, iPod dock, comfy chair, quiet, and just pretty made work more fun.

Stay alone, as a couple, or with mature children, and hopefully you'll love it as much as I did. Highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
11 Thank mmjasmine
Vancouver
Reviewed 1 January 2012

I stayed at the LHotel just before the holidays this year, and had an excellent experience. The Hotel is a great combination of classy, and fun and funky, with interesting artwork in the lobby/bar area and hallways. The hotel was very well-located in the sense that it was on the edge of Old Montreal, but still fairly close to a Metro station. Lots of beautiful old banks in the immediate neighbourhood, and the amazing Notre-Dame Basilica is also just down the street.

The biggest contributor to the comfort of my stay was the extremely welcoming and helpful staff - Nicolas in particular (thank you!). I was travelling on my own for this trip, and they helped me truly feel at home at this hotel. I can't say enough good things about the team at the LHotel. :)

I had a room on the 4th floor facing the street, and the room was very large, with high ceilings, and was also well sound-proofed. Also very well maintained. Comfy beds! I was lucky to have a little fridge in my room, which made a big difference in the comfort of my stay. I was told that although fridges are common in the suites at this hotel, they aren't generally included in regular rooms (which is what I had); just something to clarify/confirm with staff if a fridge is important to you during your stay.

I didn't have breakfast at the hotel, so can't comment on that. A coffee maker in the room would have been a nice bonus, but there is a Starbucks on the way to the metro so I found that quite convenient.

I got a very good rate for my stay, and I can't believe the value for my money. I highly recommend this hotel!

Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
7 Thank Twinkle-Teeth
Porcia, Italy
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I've stayed in many hotels all over the world in my 16 years in the military, and the LHotel Montreal was perhaps one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. The customer service was unbelievable! From the minute we arrived, we were treated to the very best of Montreal. Immediately had linens and baby bed brought to our room, hotel staff helped us with parking, room service super quick. Daniel even ran after us to ensure we didn't leave a baby blanket behind as we left. If we are ever in Montreal again, we will stay at the LHotel for sure. As I said, one of the best experiences in hotel stay I've ever had!

Room Tip: We simply told them we had a 9 month old son and they gave us a bigger room so that we had room for...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank mosesf16
Ottawa, Ontario,CANADA
Reviewed 19 December 2011

Our testimony is first “on merit” and then “comparative” on scale 1 to 5. On its merits, our Superior room gets top score 5 for cleanliness, 5 for bedding comfort and linen, 5 for service, friendliness, instant assistance,5 for peace and quiet, 5 for location if you’re on business, attending a conference or visiting Old Montreal. One must add modernization of the structure was followed by a real effort to furnish with first class antiques. A nice and cozy assemblage. This was the closest we’ve come to a room of similar size and price in Cordoba, Spain, last year.
We bring up “comparative” because the competition within 300 feet is the Intercontinental, the Westin, and Hotels of the World. So if you are looking for 24-hour upscale restaurant; or to build up frequent traveler points; or a bar in the room; or a swimming pool; or in-house link to Montreal’s unique underground shopping, then you have to consciously decide to go without it. L’Hotel was carved out of a 1930ies bank building and reminds one of European standards; the owners focused on arts, displays and beautiful furniture of yonder years. Most or all the paintings on the wall are for sale. Renovations are up to par : WiFi, iPod dock, 40inch super TV, it’s all there: Pleasant, well done, spacious. But I wouldn’t bring babies and young kids though it is not impossible.

Room Tip: Well insulated all over, very quiet
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank zeniatrips
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 16 December 2011

Discreet, refine, easy access to view one of the best private art collection in the world.
I fell in love over here. Above par service...

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Karine R
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 12 December 2011

The location of LHotel is excellent, the staff were great but what makes this hotel stand out to me is the size of the rooms and the height of the ceilings. I very often find hotel rooms stuffy with complicated ventilation systems that are noisy and hard to in this hotel the room is quietly ventilated all of the time, even the bathroom does not have a separate noisy fan. The rooms have just a thermostat on the wall to control the temperature. The bed was super comfortable and everything was very clean. I don't know if all the hotel rooms were the same size as ours but it was also a real plus. It is just a 5 minute walk from the Palais des Congres so great if you are in town for an event there.

My tip: Check out the Royal Bank just down the road from the hotel. It feels like a set from Harry Potter and you can walk right as the bank machines are at the back of the bank.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple