Quartier Latin Hotel
  • Restaurant
Hotel Visitel(Montreal)
Lelux Hotel(Montreal)
View Hotel
All reviewsst denis streetberri uqam metro stationflat screen tvrestaurants and barswalked everywherevisiting montrealold portplugwashroom
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Disappointing. Of the reviews some had rated the hotel well but we found the place bleak. Our room, though large enough, was dark and opened on to a central shaft affording just a whiff of fresh air but no more. No lift, (my wife is disabled).Towels and bedding were basically clean but needed close inspection for reassurance. Room not made up until mid afternoon. "Breakfast" (included in advertised price) was minimal - either a croissant or a muffin and a paper cup of coffee - served in a bland basement, where there were more bedrooms. Reception staff a motley crew of rather informally-dressed men, but helpful enough. Hotel entrance most uninviting with very tatty carpet running up some steps to an uninspiring reception area.. On arriving the bill was immediately presented to us for settlement. The area was teeming with students and young people of every nationality. many frequenting the plethora of lively, noisy cafés. Strip joint next door. Some ladies of dubious repute hanging around in street.. But hotel price was cheap enough and if young at heart (like us, mid-sixties!) and not seeking luxury, it you would find it probably would suffice. We would not return.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank malhen
Reviewed February 19, 2012

There's so many great restaurants nearby: 3 amigos, frites alores, starbucks, subway, and so many other sushi restaurants, bars etc. Cabs frequent this happening spot, so it's super accessible to get to the clubs on St Catherines and St Laurent.

The staff is SUPER friendly from check in to check out. At breakfast I was begging them to not give me any more croissants and juice.

Though, since it's a discount hotel, don't expect the highest quality rooms. Don't get me wrong - I had no issue at all with the state of my room. Sure it was a little small. Otherwise, it was all that I required and more for the price. I would suggest if you have a laptop bringing a VGA out cable so you can watch movies on the wall-mounted flat screens.

Oh, and there's free Wifi - that I'm using to write this review - but be warned, it does cut in and out.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2012

I cannot relate to the scathingly negative reviews of this hotel. Considering their generous price and the outstanding location, this was an excellent choice. I was within walking distance (or a very short subway ride) of all of the sites and restaurants that I wanted to visit. On top of that, the street that the hotel is located on, St.Denis/Ontario, has a fantastic offering of restaurants, pubs, cafes, etc.

Regarding cleanliness: there were no bed bugs and everything was clean. I had zero concerns and was totally satisfied with the state of my room. While the hotel staff wasn't overly outgoing, they were polite and helpful.

Sure, it is located next to a strip club and I was approached by a couple of beggars throughout my weekend, but what else should one expect out of a metropolitan city? If you're not prepared for that kind of stuff, stay home and don't complain about a fantastic deal. Or, go and pay $200+ at a "fancier" hotel in a less cooler area.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed January 2, 2012

My husband and I booked this the day we arrived as we had to cancel another hotel in Montreal due to circumstances and we were looking for a place to stay just for one night.
If we had to stay any longer, we would have ended up in depression.
The receptionist wasn't friendly, parking was in another location and is crazy expensive, the hotel room (standard queen room) was too small and horrible, it didn't even have the basic amenities, internet wasn't working and heating facilities were terrible.
My husband and I felt very depressed and went to the nearest cinema to cheer ourselves up! That was the highlight of our night!
Oh and not to forget, there's a strip club right next to the hotel and at 5:15am the next morning, the entire hotel was woken up by a fire alarm! There were firefighters and several policemen dragged out a young, unconscious, drugged up guy who was foaming at the mouth!
The only good things are that there are so many restaurants within walking distance and the fact that we stayed there for only one night!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shammin L
Reviewed November 3, 2011

I arrived at the hotel which I had booked for a week in order to have time to find an appartment in Montreal as I was going to study here. I arrived at 4pm with two 30kg bags, the staff gave me the key and stared at me attempting to walk up the 2 floors with my huge bags to get into my room and did not care much. The smell on that floor was a mixture between shrimp, rotten eggs and old socks. I opened the squeeky door and felt a huge heat wave hit my face. It was beginning of august and approximately 45 degrees Celsius in there. The air conditioner clearly wasn't functioning. I took a look around the room which now had a very strong smell of cigarette, and saw ripped bedsheets and yellow curtains which obviously used to be white.

Anway I could go on and on about this experience... I will finish by quickly mention the bedbug bites I had the next day.
I decided to leave the next day even if i had booked it for the week.
Avoid it, at all costs, i would rather sleep in the park with the squirrels than in a bed full of stains and bedbugs.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo