New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #124 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Toronto
“Ehhh...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

The people are nice and the hotel is in a great location. My finacee and I walked parked the car in the library's parking lot for $12 a day and took the subway everywhere in Montreal for the duration of our say. This hotel was about 5 mins walk from the major subway station that has 3 lines running through it. St. Dennis street is very happening. All restaurants were packed at night and the entire street was always filled with young professional types.
The room smelled like cigarette smoke and was VERY VERY small. For what we were paying, we were expecting more. Although for Montreal, I guess this was a reasonable price. When booking, my finacee couldn't find anything in the area that was cheaper. We were there for a few nights and on a few occasions saw the front desk turning people away because there was no vacancy.
It's called a "bed and breakfast" but breakfast was costco muffins and croissants, and coffee, tea and orange juice.
At the end of the day we didn't mind that this place wasn't the best of accommodations, there is plenty to do in Montreal through the day and we only retreated to the hotel to sleep.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Plucky_9

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

The location is good and the price is cheap. That is about all I can say nice about the place. Let me say that I am no stranger to 2 star hotels. My review is not based on just not knowing what a budget hotel is. I love old buildings, but this is just run down. The carpet looks to be about 20 years old, so are the bed spreads, rips and tears. The sheets were clean but the room frig has mold. The only way to control the temperature in the room is to open the window and it is extremely load outside even with the window closed. The staff was also very rude. There is free Wifi, but it is very week and slow. All of the 5 ratings must be just be the hotel rating itself. The place is ok if all you want to do is party.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank LeCour
Oxfordshire, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Disappointing. Of the reviews some had rated the hotel well but we found the place bleak. Our room, though large enough, was dark and opened on to a central shaft affording just a whiff of fresh air but no more. No lift, (my wife is disabled).Towels and bedding were basically clean but needed close inspection for reassurance. Room not made up until mid afternoon. "Breakfast" (included in advertised price) was minimal - either a croissant or a muffin and a paper cup of coffee - served in a bland basement, where there were more bedrooms. Reception staff a motley crew of rather informally-dressed men, but helpful enough. Hotel entrance most uninviting with very tatty carpet running up some steps to an uninspiring reception area.. On arriving the bill was immediately presented to us for settlement. The area was teeming with students and young people of every nationality. many frequenting the plethora of lively, noisy cafés. Strip joint next door. Some ladies of dubious repute hanging around in street.. But hotel price was cheap enough and if young at heart (like us, mid-sixties!) and not seeking luxury, it you would find it probably would suffice. We would not return.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank malhen

Travellers are raving about these Montreal hotels

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

There's so many great restaurants nearby: 3 amigos, frites alores, starbucks, subway, and so many other sushi restaurants, bars etc. Cabs frequent this happening spot, so it's super accessible to get to the clubs on St Catherines and St Laurent.

The staff is SUPER friendly from check in to check out. At breakfast I was begging them to not give me any more croissants and juice.

Though, since it's a discount hotel, don't expect the highest quality rooms. Don't get me wrong - I had no issue at all with the state of my room. Sure it was a little small. Otherwise, it was all that I required and more for the price. I would suggest if you have a laptop bringing a VGA out cable so you can watch movies on the wall-mounted flat screens.

Oh, and there's free Wifi - that I'm using to write this review - but be warned, it does cut in and out.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

I cannot relate to the scathingly negative reviews of this hotel. Considering their generous price and the outstanding location, this was an excellent choice. I was within walking distance (or a very short subway ride) of all of the sites and restaurants that I wanted to visit. On top of that, the street that the hotel is located on, St.Denis/Ontario, has a fantastic offering of restaurants, pubs, cafes, etc.

Regarding cleanliness: there were no bed bugs and everything was clean. I had zero concerns and was totally satisfied with the state of my room. While the hotel staff wasn't overly outgoing, they were polite and helpful.

Sure, it is located next to a strip club and I was approached by a couple of beggars throughout my weekend, but what else should one expect out of a metropolitan city? If you're not prepared for that kind of stuff, stay home and don't complain about a fantastic deal. Or, go and pay $200+ at a "fancier" hotel in a less cooler area.

• Stayed February 2012
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

My husband and I booked this the day we arrived as we had to cancel another hotel in Montreal due to circumstances and we were looking for a place to stay just for one night.
If we had to stay any longer, we would have ended up in depression.
The receptionist wasn't friendly, parking was in another location and is crazy expensive, the hotel room (standard queen room) was too small and horrible, it didn't even have the basic amenities, internet wasn't working and heating facilities were terrible.
My husband and I felt very depressed and went to the nearest cinema to cheer ourselves up! That was the highlight of our night!
Oh and not to forget, there's a strip club right next to the hotel and at 5:15am the next morning, the entire hotel was woken up by a fire alarm! There were firefighters and several policemen dragged out a young, unconscious, drugged up guy who was foaming at the mouth!
The only good things are that there are so many restaurants within walking distance and the fact that we stayed there for only one night!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shammin L
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

I arrived at the hotel which I had booked for a week in order to have time to find an appartment in Montreal as I was going to study here. I arrived at 4pm with two 30kg bags, the staff gave me the key and stared at me attempting to walk up the 2 floors with my huge bags to get into my room and did not care much. The smell on that floor was a mixture between shrimp, rotten eggs and old socks. I opened the squeeky door and felt a huge heat wave hit my face. It was beginning of august and approximately 45 degrees Celsius in there. The air conditioner clearly wasn't functioning. I took a look around the room which now had a very strong smell of cigarette, and saw ripped bedsheets and yellow curtains which obviously used to be white.

Anway I could go on and on about this experience... I will finish by quickly mention the bedbug bites I had the next day.
I decided to leave the next day even if i had booked it for the week.
Avoid it, at all costs, i would rather sleep in the park with the squirrels than in a bed full of stains and bedbugs.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo