“Very nice hotel”

Hotel Place d'Armes
Ranked #7 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 17 May 2012

This is my third time staying at this hotel and it is always a pleasure. However this stay was my most disappointing. I stayed in an executive suite. The paint was peeling on the ceiling in the bedroom and on the wall behind the bedroom door. The Wi-Fi was only strong enough if you sat int the bathroom by the main door to the room. It did not work in the bedroom, living room, or at the office desk. Also on the second day my room key did not work. A housekeeper saw me trying to get into my room. She say I had the hotel's swipe card and let me in. That was very nice of her but a breach of security to me. She did not know if it was my room. I could have been swiping into the wrong room. On a positive note the room was large, clean, quiet, and the room service was excellent.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 15 May 2012

A group (8) of us stayed at Le Place d'Armes Hotel in 4 rooms for 2 nights, and everyone was impressed with thier rooms and overall experience. Large rooms and bathrooms that were very nicely appointed. Clean and quiet. Our room was right across from the elevator and yet it was very quiet. Great staff - very friendly and helpful with any little request! Fun bars - we especially enjoyed the roof top bar - Great views! The location was great too. We were lucky enough to go when they were running a special deal for a 2 night stay, so that the 2nd night was 1/2 price, so we were all very happy with the value received for the money spent. Their package even included a $25 off certificate for the spa, which most of us in the group took advantage of. We would defintely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Perfect location in old Montreal. Beautiful hotel with amazing staff.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Very friendly staff! Accommodating towards non French speaking guests. Pricey? Yes! Luxurious to a fault. We spent the weekend at the hotel in celebration of our 22nd wedding anniversary. We were very surprised when a plate of chocolate covered strawberries and a written note of congratulations arrived at our door on our second night? Very classy! Large room, comfortable bed and pillows, oversized brick lined shower stall. We will definitely be back!!!!

Room Tip: We took the via train from Toronto to Montreal. Hotel is a short 10 minute walk from the station. As...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2012

We recently stayed at Le Place D'Armes Hotel in old Montreal and had a great experience. We had purchased our room from a discount site and when we got to the hotel for check in we were able to upgrade to a Junior Suite for $20. The suite featured an exposed brick wall, a jacuzzi tub and a great view of the area. The location of the hotel is amazing and close to everything we were looking for-great restaurants and sites to see. We will be coming back again!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vacationlife7
Reviewed 10 May 2012

I stayed at Place d"armes for one evening on a company paid stay while en route to another city. My premise is this: $283 for hotel room and the room was barley acceptable (see pictures). A stained bed chair and the AC did not work properly. Since I was there for a short stay, I chose not to address the AC issue.

I go for an afternoon bite to eat. Here we go: $36 for a hamburger, fries and 2 diet pepsi...almost $7 per pepsi and it was the smaller cans.

I travel through Montreal semi frequently for business and stay 1-2 nights. A Holiday Inn at $95 per night is fine enough. I understand if people want luxury, but remember this: You are paying for it in Montreal. . Why people rave about a hotel that will cost you, at a minimum, almost $40-$50 per meal X3.
My work was all in west Montreal, so the location was never a plus for me, if not the other way, as I had a long commute every day and Montreal's blocked roads did not help.

Bottom line: Montreal's stay was way, way overpriced. If you have $400-$500 per day you have nothing better to do with...then one of these "grand hotels" would be more than glad to take it from you..

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank sam m
MathieuLarochelle, General Manager at Hotel Place d'Armes, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2012

Dear Sam,

Thank you for reviewing our property. We often make comparative analyses to hotels and properties in our classification to insure that our prices are online with the market. I'm sorry that our property did not meet your standards nor your expectations. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly if you ever decide to stay in Old Montreal for your next stay.

Regards,

Mathieu

Reviewed 9 May 2012

Was pleasantly surprised in Old Montreal. Heritage building...modern lobby...nice rooms. Simple luxury...hardwood floors, brick walls, etc. combined with flat screen tv. restaurant food ok. friendly staff, very accommodating. Rate reasonable.

Small peeves: Had to call back to reverse a charge put through after checkout. Charged for breakfast when it was supposed to be included, and 2 bottled water for $16...really?. Also hair in tub, and water pressure awful.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
MathieuLarochelle, General Manager at Hotel Place d'Armes, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2012

Dear Raykee11,

We are extremely happy that you were pleasantly surprised with our property. The feedback provided will be addressed with the departments concerned, and we thank you for bringing them to our attention, as they do not reflect our standards. We are terribly sorry for the billing issue you encountered and we hope that we were able to resolve this quickly for you. If you visit montreal again and require hotel accomodations, I invite you to contact me directly for reservations.

regards,