“very good stay”

Ranked #112 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Moscow, Russia
“very good stay”
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We went there during Thanksgiving long weekend. Did not make a reservation because we actually wanted to stay downtown Montreal but the huge traffic convinced us to stop there and consider getting to town by metro. It turned out to be a great idea because this hotel is brand new and very affordable in terms of price. The parking is included, as wi-fi and a good breakfast, too.
The staff was friendly and corteous, the room was quiet (our room had soundproof-windows), big and clean; they even changed the bedsheets on our 2nd day's stay.
We also saw a swimming pool and a little spa center (still on construction) which will make this hotel ever worthier.
The metro station is 5 minutes walking away and with the orange line we got to Montreal in 15 minutes without worrying about very crowded and expensive parking lots...
We visited the city, came back for a break and left again for dinner; our stay went on very smoothly and we were totally happy and satisfied of our choice.

Room Tip: if you want to use the spa, ask if it's ready when making the reservation!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aniska
SammyBasaran, General Manager at Quality Hotel Midtown, responded to this review, 29 November 2011
Dear Aniska,

Thank you for your review of our establishment.

We have recently completed various renovations to our Hotel and we are proud of the results. We are focused on ways to continually improve our Hotel in order to serve our guests better. All of your wonderful feedback is greatly appreciated. We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us and hope to have the pleasure of serving you again.

General Manger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Stayed at this at this hotel on business trip.Good location, close to the metro stop and highways. Met the owner who asked my opinion of his place. I told him it was ok and met my expectations.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2011

I have just returned from Montreal having stayed 5 nights at Quality Hotel Midtown. I really cannot praise the hotel enough. The front desk staff were always extremely helpful. The room was spacious and spotless, with clean linen daily, clean towels daily. Tea and coffee in the room and a good refrigerator. The complimentary breakfasts were very satisfying. The lobby and lounge were spacious, clean and comfortable. There are two computers in the lobby for free internet use. A very well-equiped fitness room and small swimming pool. The car park is next to the main entrance of the hotel providing easy access.. There are hot drinks (tea/coffee) available in the lobby 24/7. There is a very good restaurant next to the hotel. There are 2 bus stops outside the hotel.and a subway station less than 5 minutes walk up the road. I would highly recommend this hotel and hope to have an opportunity to stay there again. (I can't comment on room service as I had no need of it).

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
SammyBasaran, General Manager at Quality Hotel Midtown, responded to this review, 11 November 2011
Dear Esmond C,

Thank you so very much for writing a beautiful review of our Hotel. My staff and I cannot completely express through words how much your response means to us. We are happy that your time spent in Montreal was enjoyable and you had a chance to experience the charm and beauty of this wonderful city. We are delighted to be recognized for the hard work we put in everyday to ensure our guests are completely satisfied. Your review gives us great encouragement to continue making our Hotel better and better. My staff and I read your review together and your words were greatly acknowledged. Please do contact me the next time you make a trip to Montreal as I would like to personally thank you for what you have shared.
We appreciate our guests here at the Quality Hotel Midtown and look forward to serving you better.

Kanata, Ontario
Reviewed 3 October 2011

This hotel provided a room in a very well-located part of Montreal. The room was clean, comfortable and well appointed, with a good-sized refrigerater with a working freezer. Staff were available and responsive to my needs. For those on a budget, looking for a great location in Montreal, this is a good choice. You can easily get to anywhere from this location, and super bonus, leave your car behind (highly recommended when visiting more central locations in Montreal). The breakfast was very good, included all of my essentials. Note that the parking lot is small and may fill up most evenings. Do ask at the desk for alternative parking, just in case.

Room Tip: Stay away from the Decarie side if traffic bothers you.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Washington
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Just back from Labor Day Weekend at Quality Hotel Midtown on Decarie in Montreal, and am sorry to report, it was the WORST HOTEL STAY EVER!!

Where do I begin. Arrived Friday night to find the parking lot completely full. So I found a spot on the street. Turns out they do have an "overflow lot" but there's no sign to tell you about that so I only learned of it when I checked-in & was already parked. Plus it's farther away from the hotel than my spot on the street.

So I checked-in & went to the room, which was in the "Annex" that does not align properly with the rest of the hotel. So the elevator takes you to the 4th floor, then you have to climb 9 steps with your luggage of course to get to your room. When I got there, I found the door was already open. That's because it doesn't close properly. You have to really pull and slam the door shut to get it closed and locked. Anyway, went into the room and it felt like being in a sauna. The air conditioning had been switched off, and apparently no one had been in the room for several days or longer. So I switched the a/c on but the room was really uninhabitable until it could get cooled off.

So I decided to go downstairs and get some ice (the only ice machine is in the basement). After I got my ice, I got on the elevator to go back up to the 4th floor, but it wouldn't work. The door closed, I pushed the button for my floor, another guest pushed the button for his floor, but the elevator wouldn't move. Fortunately, we were able to get the door open and get off. Another guest said the elevator was very temperamental, and kept breaking down. And as there's only 1 elevator, when it breaks, there's no choice but to climb the stairs up to the 4th floor, and then of course the additional 9 steps to my room in the Annex.

Next day, Saturday. was in the room until 11:15 am, didn't want to be disturbed by the housekeeping, so had the Do Not Disturb sign on the door. Left the hotel at 11:15 & took off the DND sign. Returned at 7:30 pm to find the room had never been made-up! Not a single clean towel in the room, bed unmade, floor dirty, etc. Went to the desk to complain, & was told this was my fault, that the maid probably passed by the room before 11:15, saw the DND sign, & never bothered to come back later to make up the room, and that's the way they operate at this hotel.

So I asked to speak to the manager on duty, and was told there was no manager on duty. The manager would be back on Monday, and had left instructions not to be disturbed over the holiday weekend.

When I booked into this hotel, I really didn't expect to pay to walk-up 4-1/2 flights of stairs due to a broken elevator, or to return to and have to sleep in a dirty room because the housekeeping never made it up even though it was vacant from 11:15 am until 7:30 pm. But no compensation was offered for these inconveniences, nor was there even an apology. Nor was I even able to speak to a member of management about these issues during my stay!

Oh, and lots of other little things were broken or in bad shape in the room (electric outlet pulling out of the wall, 2 lamps not working when I checked in, faucet in the bathroom needed the washer replaced & splashed water all over your clothes whenever you used it). But this review is already long enough.

I will say the location was very convenient for my purpose in visiting family in the West End of Montreal, but other than that, this place is a total dump with management that couldn't care less about their guests' comfort.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank ConcordeOrphan
SammyBasaran, Manager at Quality Hotel Midtown, responded to this review, 9 September 2011
Dear ConcordeOrphan,

I would first like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about our Hotel on Trip Advisor. We pride ourselves in making an overall effort to ensure each of our guests leave our property satisfied, so it comes as a great shock to hear that your stay was less than favorable.
We are aware that our rooms in the Annex are not on our main floor; however, that is why they are rented at such a reduced rate. Furthermore, we have housemen on duty that are always available to help our guests bring their luggage up to their rooms at no extra cost. While most Hotels charge for their on-site parking we provide free, limited parking to our guest, and we also rent out additional parking space next to our property to ensure our Guest have a place to park their vehicles. Thirdly, much like all Hotels, a “Do Not Disturb” sign prohibits our housekeeping staff to enter your room. If you needed extra room amenities, towels or linen, these items are always available at the Front Desk.

As the General Manager of this Hotel, I have never informed my staff that I should not be disturbed, especially if it is in relation to my guests and the overall operation of the Hotel. I always make myself completely available to my staff, 24 hours per day, including providing additional contact information when I am traveling.

I spoke to the Front Desk Clerk that was on duty during your stay, and I would like to apologize on his behalf. I would like to believe that my staff is trained to solve issues that arise in my absence, however, in this situation he was not able to follow the procedures and policies set in place to ensure proper guest satisfaction. I was not informed of these complaints on my return which did not give me the opportunity to apologize and compensate you for your inconvenience.

Once again, please accept my sincerest apologies and I will use this review to correct my staff in regards to the proper guest satisfaction procedures held by the Hotel.

Please also feel free to contact me if you still have questions or concerns ----------.

Sammy Basaran,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 September 2011

So, I admit, I do give the benefit of the doubt, and having read mixed reviews about this place, we decided to go ahead and try it. If you are in that position now, please don't do it. I do have some basic standards. Functional bed. Clean towels. No old food on the floor. Five rooms later, this hotel barely met them, and only out of desperation. Please, for the price of a room here, you deserve so much better! (And don't book on a third party website (i.e. hotels.com), because getting a refund or financial compensation is a huge run around.) These were my experiences the ONE night (we originally booked for two) I stayed here. Usually, if the hall smells, and then the room smells the way this room smelled when we walked in the door, I walk right back out. But it was a busy weekend, the hour was late, and I was tired and new to Montreal. I found at first glance the place was maybe OK if we opened the windows and aired out the room, but just wait: 1.) The room smelled moldy. I later found out from the maintenance guy that this is because if the housekeepers "run out of time" turning over the rooms, they just leave them. Think wet towels piled up on the bathroom floor. 2.) The windows didn't open. A maintenance guy did come remove the winter-proofing (it was SEPTEMBER!) so that they could be opened. 3.) Because I am concerned about bed bugs, I automatically do the "luggage-in-the-bath-tub-bed-bug-check" and while no bugs turned up, layers of dust, a wad of hair, corn chips, a toothpick, fingernail/toenail clippings, one Canadian penny and one US penny, a torn/broken box spring cover, busted bed frame wheel (like, so the bed sank dangerously when I sat upon it. Photos to come.)…and the TV remote did. (Also, the fitted sheet was inside out, minor, I know, but who does that?) The reviewer who mentioned the stains was on point--wallpaper stained and torn in many places, and the grout in the bathtub tiles was stained with mildew--also likely contributing to the moldy smell upon entry. (Bleach? It works.)The staff seemed nice enough, but had that "I know, but that's how it is here" look in their eyes. There is only so much they can do. And there is SO MUCH THAT NEEDS TO BE DONE. And their computer system was "not working." (I get the sense, in retrospect, it is never working.) As I mentioned before, room one, our bed broke/was broken. (No we were not even doing anything exciting.) And so, we went down and asked for another room. The woman apologized and gave us key cards for a new room that, you guessed it, had not been turned over in I don't know how long! Read: UNMADE BEDS, DIRTY TOWELS ON FLOOR OF BATHROOM, SMELLS LIKE MIDDLE SCHOOL BOYS' LOCKER ROOM! Room three, third time's a charm, right? Nope. Third room was unclean and had what, to my eye, could have been vomit stains on the wall behind bed (photos to come.) Room four, this time staff goes with us to pick out a room. Room four had missing outlet covers and a BED FRAME THAT DID NOT FIT THE BROKEN BOX SPRING WHICH WAS COVERED UP WITH A SHEET OF PLYWOOD!!!!!!! I started laughing, because if I didn't, I would cry. I cannot make this up. Photos to come. Room five, midnight, enough already, super dusty behind beds, but no fingernails or corn chips and I really was done with the place but was exhausted. Good thing the traffic noise from the highway outside my window was there to lull me to sleep. Also, the elevator stopped working during our stay. The free wi-fi was worse than dial-up, it crashed/weak signal/ just didn't work. And other guests were overheard complaining about having to find parking on the street, as the lot was full and does not have enough spaces for all the guests if they are full--which, by the way, they said they were, and yet they kept showing us empty but unclean room after unacceptable room. And, are you ready for the best part? At 4:10am we were awakened, after finally having fallen asleep on the really old mattress, by someone else opening the door to our room and banging the metal inside lock again and again and speaking very loudly and agitatedly in French. That's right. THEY DEACTIVATED OUR KEY CARDS AND CHECKED SOMEONE ELSE INTO OUR ROOM AFTER HAVING PICKED OUT THE ROOM WITH US! When I called the front desk and asked in a tone of contained rage, "Who please has keys to my room and is trying to enter at 4:10am?" it was 4 or 5 sentences into the excuse making before the guy even apologized. Don't stay here. Just don't. Three point 5 stars, they are certainly not. What they are is DIRTY, disorganized and outrageously cheap without being inexpensive. I'm sure some manager will respond with damage control comments instead of actually taking care of the problems at their establishment. Just ignore. And save yourself the headache/nightmare that we had, so that you could be forewarned.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank T W
SammyBasaran, General Manager at Quality Hotel Midtown, responded to this review, 14 November 2011
Dear T W,

Thank you for your review and we really do appreciate your feedback. I apologize if your stay at our Hotel was not to your satisfaction. As the Manger of this Hotel, I personally ensure that all our guest leave happy, so if there is ever any issues, they are brought to my attention immediately . I am not sure why this is the first that I am hearing these complaints, however, I have looked into all of your claims. If you would have contacted me directly, I am positive that I could have resolved any issues you may have had.

We have completely renovated the Lobby, Breakfast room, Conference room, upgraded some of our rooms and changed the carpets in all our rooms.
In addition, a Deluxe Continental Breakfast, Wireless Internet, Local Calls, and Parking are all included in our rates.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Breakfast was great, and the service was great, the assistance at the fron table
was vey helpful with directions of how to get places in Montreal.
Ovearall we had a very pleasant experience at the Hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family