A la Carte Bed & Breakfast
  • Breakfast included
US$169
US$200
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmonsieur petitminiature poodlewonderful hostscrepeshome away from hometransit systemoff street parkingbus and metrohelped us planevery morningvisit montrealdvd playera wonderful staycommon areasjazz festivalyogurtold montreal
Reviewed October 21, 2011

My wife and I made our first visit to Montreal on a road trip from Connecticut. We are so glad that A la Carte B & B was the first place we stayed. Petra and Daniel are very friendly, generous hosts. They greeted us when we arrived at 7 PM and even gave us a glass of wine to welcome us. We loved our three nights here and were sad to leave. They are so nice and interesting to talk with, they make you feel like friends as much as guests.

The residential neighborhood is quiet, parking in the back, close to the Botanical Gardens. The location is great, and it was easy to get around Montreal by taking the local bus (which comes every 5 minutes) to the Metro. The breakfasts were delicious, the espresso was the best we had in Canada. The Mother Nature room was cozy, we slept well, the bath is large enough for two. Petra gave us an overview of the city, gave us good suggestions of place to visit and eat. If you like croissants, the best one we've ever had (chocolate/almond) at Copains D'Abord, a local cafe/bakery. Their dog Monsieur Petit is very friendly, cute, and non-allergenic.

When we go back to visit Montreal, this is our first choice of places to stay. It's that good.

1  Thank Sandor B
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Petra, Daniel and Monsieur Petit were fantastic hosts!! Every process was done kindly and professionally from calling for reservations/prices to checking out. My girlfriend and I are mid-twenties and our hosts were extremely easy to get along with and interesting to talk to the entire weekend (Friday to Monday morning).

They are more than happy to introduce you to A la Carte's modern interior equipped with a fantastic movie and music collection as well as the local area and the beautiful city of Montreal. Every morning starts off with authentic and delicious breakfast at whatever time you like between 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. Monsieur Petit (the miniature poodle) is one of the most loving little pooches we have ever met and his adorable antics are sure to entertain while you soak in the warm, welcoming atmosphere.

We would recommend it to anyone looking to enjoy Montreal's best and we are definitely looking forward to going back as soon as possible. If you are looking for an enjoyable time in Montreal and want to meet some great people chose this spot! Many thank yous to Petra, Daniel and M. Petit.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2011

My wife and I landed in Montreal at different times. Daniel was at the airport waiting when each of us arrived. It felt like I was being picked up by an old friend. We chatted about everything from my flight to home repair on our way back to the B&B. Upon my arrival I was introduced to beautiful Petra the co-owner, and Monsieur the actual boss of the establishment. These three helped make our stay in Montreal memorable. I could carry on much longer about Daniel, Petra, and the loving Monsieur but this is a B & B review.
Our room and bathroom were very clean. The Queen bed was firm but not hard...just the way I like it. The shower had a "rain" head. Ahhhhh! We had a nice private sitting area in our room with a small TV. Of course, we also had use of the living room with books about Montreal, magazines, and a big TV. Daniel is a movie buff so he has a huge DVD selection that he makes available to guests.
Breakfasts were served on our time. They were wholesome and tasty. Daniel even asked us what we wanted. Now that's service! I ordered bacon for our 3rd morning because I wanted my pal Monsieur to be happy. Though I knew I shouldn't feed Monsieur any of my bacon, I simply couldn't resist those big brown eyes. Sorry Petra, I couldn't help myself!
Petra supplied all the maps we needed, recommended restaurants, and showed us which public transportation to use. She was a superb tour guide. In a superb city I might add.
A la Carte B & B is one of the best places we have ever stayed.

Reviewed September 14, 2011

We went to Montreal for a long weekend at the beginning of September. I made the lodging arrangements and chose 'A la Carte Bed & Breakfast' because of all the fantastic reviews. All of the good reviews were correct, this was an absolutely wonderful place to stay. My husband and I went with another couple so we stayed in the two bedroom apartment on the top floor. While we were driving to Montreal we joked about how deceiving hotel pictures can be in comparison to the reality. This certainly was not the case with the apartment, the pictures very accurately show the apartment. In fact it was more spacious then I had imagined. The apartment was very clean and comfortable, and included dishes, towels, soap, etc., nearly everything that you would need during your stay. There was a great private back deck that was a welcome retreat after a day of site seeing in Montreal. We were welcomed by Petra who gave us a through tour of the apartment, a map of the city, and advice on what to see and how to get around. She was very friendly and extremely helpful. The neighborhood around the bed and breakfast was nice and quiet; it was about a block away from a street with a supermarket, bakery, cafe, and several other shops, as well as a bus stop. It was very simple to get to the heart of the city by bus and then metro, and was about a 30 minute or less trip. We were able to park our car at the bed and breakfast and didn't have to use it again until it was time to leave.
Occasionally while we were sitting out on the apartment's back deck we were visited by the adorable Monsieur Petit; Daniel and Petra's friendly miniature poodle. He is the cutest dog I have ever met! As a parting gift Daniel and Petra gave us a cute magnet with Monsieur Petit's picture on it.
The only negative thing I could mention is that this is an older building and the beautiful old wood floors were very creaky when you walked through parts of the apartment. So if you are staying with light sleepers in the apartment this may wake them. It did not bother any of us, as we enjoyed the charm and character of the apartment. Everything else was superb and I would definitely stay here if I were to come back to Montreal. If anyone I know is going to Montreal I would insist that they stay here because I cannot image a more lovely place.

2  Thank NyCricket
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I visited Montreal with 2 friends, we rented the apartment which was very roomy. It had 2 bedrooms a living room, dining room, bathroom (w/ a tub) kitchen, plus a back porch sitting area!! I really enjoyed having my own room and being able to have coffee and tea on our private porch off the back. Our hosts, Petra, Daniel & Monsieur Petit, were wonderful - really took their time to make sure we knew the area and how to get around. It was an amazing city and one it'd like to see more of.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends