All reviews berri uqam metro station latin quarter room was clean croissants old montreal full kitchen staff at reception coffee maker living room area walking distance sofa bed airport bus per night indoor parking continental breakfast is gay village st catherine
Reviewed September 13, 2018

I came back to Montreal for the first time in over 40 years and stayed here with my son and his family. Perfectly located for walking to all the sights we wanted to visit. Our room was very clean and updated with everything we could want in a suite. The complimentary breakfast was fresh and tasty with just enough selection and Awa, the main desk clerk was so warm and friendly that I'll just have to come back and visit again.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Mark K
Reviewed September 13, 2018 via mobile

I’ve been upgraded in hotels before - but this is the first time I’ve been DOWNGRADED - and expected to pay for the privilege !

Stayed in Montreal for two nights; first night at the sister hotel - Les Suites Labelle - which was lovely. Nice spacious room with two double beds, a sitting area and kitchen and a lovely big bathroom.

Because the Labelle was full for our second night they offered us a room at the Roberval, in what we were told would be a room of equal standard ie two double beds ( although one would be a Murphy bed.) I was assured, however, it would still be a ‘proper’ double, rather than a sofa bed.

Transferred over at 11 am ; room not ready so we went shopping. Arrived back early evening to be shown into an annexe ( after walking up and down various stairs/ramps/through service doors to what can only be described as a room from Bates Motel (and in the annexe rather than the main part of the hotel)

Bathroom too small for more than one person to stand in at a time; outlook onto a brick wall; Murphy bed not made up and situated in the living room and main bed VERY small double ( not Queen as they described). The Murphy bed was not made up and when the Desk Manager asked what I would like from them I replied “pillows and some sort of bedspread on the bed would be a start !!” ....

This Manager (Paul?) was a perfect study of arrogance and indifference - attitude very much “this is all we have so take it or leave it !” They already had my credit card payment, we were tired and it was too late to go searching for somewhere else to stay, so we had to accept,but made our displeasure very evident.

The standard of the Roberval in no way matches that on offer at Les Suites Labelle.
Very disappointed - particularly when our booking was made by the Manager of their sister property, rather than us being a last minute reservation.

PS : Our experience was further ‘enhanced’ this morning by the 7 am sound of drilling/banging from building work going on ...

My advice ? Stay elsewhere !
I’ve had a higher standard of room in really cheap motorway motels

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed September 10, 2018

STAFF:
All members of staff were very friendly and courteous. One of them, Nadya, on the checkout day, even offered us extra information for future stays in Quebec if we should ever need. She also sought feedback on the stay.

ROOM:
The cleanliness impressed me. Reviews of other hotels in downtown Montreal left me rather leery as to what to expect so I really appreciated the cleanliness.
The rooms were clean. Linens were clean. There was a kitchenette in the room with some basic dishes, cutlery and cooking utensils provided, a 2 burner stove, a mini-fridge, a microwave and a coffee maker. The AC worked well (thankfully since there was a heatwave on during my stay) and it was not too loud.
The bed was very comfortable.

Checkout is at 12 noon

PARKING:
To check in, you can park free for 15 minutes or so at the side of the hotel on Berri St.
(Rue Berri). There is also a ramp available from the side entrance in case your luggage is very heavy.
After check in, you can get hotel underground parking for $20 per night stayed, across at Hotel Labelle (same owners)
There is an open parking lot behind the hotel Berri, for $14 a night. I preferred the underground parking since the access is restricted to hotel guests. Your room key gets you into the parking garage.

BREAKFAST:
The breakfast is included. It is basic but sufficient. You can get bagels, toast, croissants, porridge, pastry, coffee or tea. During the week it's from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m.
It runs until 11 a.m. on weekends.

LOCATION:
Walking distance from BERRI-UQAM Metro station. This station is the transfer point for all lines so it's very convenient.
The overall neighbourhood there on Rue St Catherine was not very appealing. At the Jardins Gamelins we were scared off by some sketchy characters.
There are some restaurants located within walking distance
Old Montreal is about 15 minutes away. We walked to the Notre Dame Basilica in about 15 minutes.

Overall very positive experience and I hope this review answers some of the questions that were unanswered for me.

I would recommend a stay here.

Room tip: Maybe a room on the east side of the hotel since the side street there is less busy than Berri St.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2018

We booked a 2-bed room for a 2 night stay. Checked-in early but we could leave our bags and come back later in the day when the rooms were ready. There was a heat wave in Montreal during our stay, so we walked to the nearby Village area for lunch.

Staff at reception were excellent during our entire stay. Very helpful in looking after our bags, making some local recommendations, and showing us where the hotel's laundry room was downstairs.

Room was large. Two bedrooms separated by the lounge and dining area. One bathroom. Very clean and tidy. All the basic facilities that you need for the kitchen.

Breakfast was served in the basement area. Simple selection of yoghurt, juice, coffee, pastries.

Found out that the hotel also has a washing machine and dryer that guests can use for a very small fee. This wasn't listed in the hotel directory in the room and I only found out about it when I asked reception for the nearest launderette - very happy I could do a load of washing at the hotel instead.

Will happily stay here again on our next trip to Montreal. The proximity to the vibrant Village, Old Montreal and great service made for a good stay overall.

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights. The breakfast vouchers were an added bonus. One of our main issue was the air conditioning which was very noisy. It kept coming on and off during the night which affected my sleep. The rooms had fridge coffee machine microwave toaster but no kettle and no tea. That was my 2nd issue with it. Overall I would recommend the hotel as it was in a convenient place for the price. We did ask our travel agent for 4* + for our trips and this is 3*. The rest of our trip are 4* so there must have been a good reason for choosing this.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank elliott96