“Only for budget travelers”

Hotel Champ-de-Mars
Ranked #139 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 24 January 2012

The location was great - a 2 block walk (the neighborhood was eerily empty and spooky) to the energy and populated Old Port. The hotel was just as close to the Champs de Mars Metro station, but the station was also in a creepy area, so take a 10 minute walk to the busy Berri-Uqam Metro Station where three metro lines intersect.

There was housekeeping everyday and the bathroom was clean. Toiletries were fine - Pantene samples and generic soaps.

The staff is also very pleasant. We booked a Grey Line tour and, knowing we would miss breakfast, they packed a bagel with packets of cream cheese and jam, and a bottle of orange juice for us.

The complimentary breakfast was also nice - there are maybe 5 choices and if memory serves, the best ones were the toast, bacon, eggs, fruit, tea/coffee, juice choice or the french toast, hash brown (like french fry cubes), fruit, tea/coffee and juice choice. Fruit consisted of a slice of orange, a quarter of a banana and a slice of melon.

Negatives:
The hotel is yellowishly lit, and you need a key for the front door of the hotel after 10 or 11 p.m., a key to enter the stairwell (as there is no elevator - the stairwell is also dim, has creeky carpeted stairs and smelled like body odor) and your room key. They give you only one set of keys, so it will be a pain if you or your traveling companion are not attached at the hip and one of you does not have the keys and needs to get into the stairwell to get to your room.

The rooms are small. We first had a two-single-beds room but there was barely enough room between the bed and the walls, and the room was dimly lit and dilapidated. There was dark flowered wallpaper, old furniture, no closet to hang your clothes, a small bathroom with one shelf to put your toiletries, and an 11" TV mounted on a stand above the bed. Again, this room barely had room for one to walk. I thought that the reviews on this site about the size of the rooms were exaggerated until I saw it for myself.

The noise of the heating/air conditioning system roared so much that we could even hear it through our ear plugs and after a terrible night of no sleep, had to ask to be changed.

I am in my 30s. I think this place would be fine for nomadic college kids, but not at my ripe old age when bright lighting and no body odor become mandatory requirements. After a long day, I did not look forward to returning to the hotel, which is unfortunate because I thought that the staff and the owner of the hotel were very pleasant.

Tip: Do not stay in a room near the stairwell. The sound of people going up and down the stairs amplifies to an elephant stampede - I am not kidding. And the walls are so paper thin that voices from people talking in the hallway at a normal level will jolt you awake.

Tip: Get a room on the "first" floor, which is the nearest floor to the lobby. I am accustomed and enjoy climbing stairs, but it is not a pleasure to walk up and down literally fifty steep steps in a dim smelly stairwell everytime you need to go to your room to get something you forgot, or trudge up there after a long, tiring day of sightseeing.

Tip: Do not ask the "concierge" to book you a Grey Line tour, as she will add a $12 "hotel fee" to do so without advance warning nor your consent. She added the $12 AFTER she booked the tour for us and it was too late to complain since the service was already done.

Room Tip: Close to the ground floor, and far away from the stairway. The walls are paper thin.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
20  Thank K K

Reviewed 28 November 2011

The room was a bit small yet it was clean and the bed was comfortable. Great location near the old port and in Old Montreal. Nice walk to the downtown area and access to the transit system so we could explore other areas of the city. We wanted a clean, safe place to sleep at a good value and we were not disappointed.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the street. Also this hotel was built a couple of hundred years ago so no...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anne P
Reviewed 15 November 2011

The receptionist was not particularly welcoming. She and the Manager told me where to park the car. When I returned and said I had had to go to the Port the Manager said quite rudely that that was not where he had told me to go. On receiving our room key we got our cases up the very narrow stairs (no lift). The room still had the Maid in - this was about 16.30 - who said she had a problem with the room and we could not have it. The bed was covered with carrier bags and the room was full of what appeared to be rubbish! She contacted Reception and after some discussion which I did not understand as I do not speak French told us to go and get another key as we would be given a better room. The Receptionist did not even apologise just handed the key over. The new room was easily the worst hotel room I have ever stayed in and I am 63 and travel abroad at least once a year and usually two and have been doing this since I was a teenager. The only thing that was OK is that it was clean. Aside from that - 1 double and 1 single bed in a room barely large enough for 1 double bed - no wardrobe just four hangers on two hooks on the wall - no hairdryer - no remote for the very small portable TV which was high up in a corner of the room - the furniture was dilapidated and the wall colour horrible - the bathroom contained no towel rails and no hooks so nowhere for you to put any towels - only a very small shelf so difficult to even put your toiletries anywhere, we ended up with one or two things on the toilet cistern! - there was a draft from the window. My wife and I were on a touring holiday of parts of USA and Canada. This was not the cheapest hotel but was by far the most awful. We had no complaints about any of the others of which there were another eight! We could hardly wait to leave Montreal and move on to our next destination

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Colin48Kent
Reviewed 26 August 2011

The pluses for this hotel was that it is in the Old Port of Montreal and near restaurants and shops. The hotel was priced reasonably and if you stayed two nights the third was free
The negatives: The room I was given was on the third floor and there were no elevators only a narrow stairway. The room was clean but the furniture was old 50's -60's , there was no closet just two hooks on the bedroom wall. There was little light in the bathroom and the tile was cracked
On top of this I asked the receptionist if I could get a container of ice and had to pay $2 CDN The hotel closes doors near midnight and opens early morning bur they do give you a key to enter, one to open the stairway door and one for your room

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank walter0406
Reviewed 21 August 2011

We stayed here in winter of 2010 actually for the Winter Fest and as we planned to be out and about for most of the weekend, we didn't care too much about the size of the room and amenities as long as the price was decent. We booked through expedia and paid under $100 per night for 1 queen bed - I thought it was a good deal as regular price seemed to be $199 per night. But once we saw the entrance (decor tacky and dingy) and especially our room, we knew the price could have been even lower:

The room was very basic: worn out bed, one lonely wooden chair, mirror, desk, closet = bare components of the room and everything looked like it was salvaged from some dorm room 50 years ago. It smelled like old wood: not antique or charming: just plain old! Our view was looking into some back yard of a neighbouring house, the bathroom was plain, sterile and cold. Realistically we didn't even want to stay in the room, but it would have been nice to not feel like you want to leave it.

Once again, if your main plan is to explore the beautiful streets of old Montreal, you may not care much about the room, and can stay at this hotel. But, if there are other options I'd pay extra $20 a night just to actually feel comfortable in the room.

Room Tip: ask for a room with the main street view, not backyard
  • Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Adamo_Poeta
Reviewed 25 May 2011

The other reviews were not wrong. The room was absolutely tiny! Im so glad we were only there for one night. If we had all of our suitcases with us (3 large suitcases) we would have had to store them in the bathroom. I'm talking 'you can hardly even walk around the bed' small. No ability to open windows, no air con, no fan. It was strange and humid. They even charged us $3.50 for half of a small pitcher of ice because there was no mini fridge in our room and no plug to fill up the sink with cold water to keep our drinks cool. This small thing seems to be a reoccurring theme. The price was high since it was the May 24 weekend-$74 including tax. A few weeks ago I spent $55 including tax for a hotel up the road in a huge room, minifridge, big mirrors, big desk, big comfy bed. If you are one person, just for one night and at a lower rate then maybe book it just for the location. Oh and the online booking sites say wireless internet in room but the wireless only works in the lobby.... great.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bgadventures
Reviewed 3 May 2011

I would recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to see Old Montreal. They are cloes to everything, from Old Montreal to Downtown. The management and staff are extremely friendly and compassionate. The food is excellent and so is the service which they provide. My mother passed away while I was here and they were deeply saddened by this an allowed me to talk with them between the crying fits. Again if you wish a comfortable hotel,quiet and relaxing, check out the Hotel Champ De Mars.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business