“Food was bland but service excellent”

Eggspectation - Downtown
Ranked #160 of 5,991 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Diner, French, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Reviewed 8 November 2017

Went here for lunch; a quick poutine and a bier. Bier was super cold, poutine was bland - I'm not sure of the gravy, it didn't taste home-made. While in Montreal you somewhat expect the poutine game to be spot-on. It was not at this location on this day.

Also ordered a side of Lyonnaise potatoes. I'm guessing they were from breakfast - the re-heated serving I was given were super dry and flavorless. What was pictured and written on the menu is not what was on my plate: I got dried potato discs.

""Our famous Lyonnaise-style potatoes are freshly sautéed to a golden brown with caramelized onions, butter, fresh herbs, and a few other secret (but all-natural!) ingredients.""

Service: wait staff was friendly and attentive which is why I didn't give this place a poor rating.

Will be visiting Montreal in a few weeks and will try this place for breakfast. Hopefully I can turn this review around.

Reviewed 31 October 2017 via mobile

I’d heard this was a great breakfast sport but it was pretty mediocre to me, and over-priced. I had a southwest sunrise omelet. It just doesn’t work. Too much cold stuff (salsa, sour cream, avocado) makes the omelet cold instantly, and the peppers inside were raw and crunchy. Seemed odd! The potatoes that come with it were dry and bland. My husband had a Montreal omelet which was a bit better but still nothing exciting. If I had my time back I’d have opted for some of the sweet options!

It also didn’t have a great atmosphere and it felt like they were just concerned about getting you in and out ASAP. We were seated at a table so close to another table as well that you really couldn’t have a private conversation. Literally about 6” apart, which I think isn’t so unusual in Montreal but I don’t care for!

All in all, I would choose Cora’s or a local bakery or crepe place for a better breakfast in the future.

Reviewed 29 October 2017

We had there a rich and lavish breakfast. As the name suggests, they mainly serve eggs cooked in a lot of different ways (fried, omelette, scrambled, pancakes, both salted and sweet, etc.), but have also smoothies and different kind of food. All in all, it is the ideal place to have a rich breakfast or brunch and even lunch. Service is quick, prompt and courteous. Although simple, this is a very interesting place and I regret I had the opportunity to visit it only once.

Reviewed 26 October 2017

I've had a little of everything and never disappointed. The various eggs benedict are awesome. Everything is. When I visit Montreal, I eat breakfast here everyday..............yes everyday.

Reviewed 19 October 2017 via mobile

Amazing coffee, phenomenal pancakes and friendly staff. This place was a great stop for a hearty breakfast. The pancakes were incredibly light and fluffy and so tasty! Highly recommended.