New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Good for backpacker/students” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Maison du Patriote

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montreal
La Maison du Patriote
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“Good for backpacker/students”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2011

The hostel was great for me in compared with the one I stayed in Toronto with the same price. Location is a big plus, right in the centre of Old Montreal and near the subway so you can easily wander around. Free wifi is another plus to. They also have the washing machine and dryer. The house is cleaned everyday but some guests just don't take off their shoes and walk around the house so a minus for cleanliness. I stayed in a girl dorm room and it was a little bit cold at night because the window was open for air flow. One bed sheet made a lot of noise so it's hard for light sleeper to have a nice sleep. We were so tired walking all the day so it didn't matter much to us. the kitchen doesn't have much utensil to use. Another thing is when we booked it said that there was free breakfast but we didn't have. Other than that, the place has nice decoration, is very warm and cozy and still the best hostel I've ever stayed. Would recommend to students or people who are looking for cheap place to stay and sleep overnight in Montreal.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
edinburgh, united kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2010

Service was good with the staff member genuinely a nice, friendly person. However, the main dorm is a ton of bunks that are separated by sheets, means it can be very noisy at night, especially as Montreal is a nightlife type of place. The problem is exacerbated by having air mattress that squeak when anyone moves in their sleep.

As the main dorm is in the attic it also gets very hot with little air circulation and a lot of dust. Nice people though, but sometimes that just can`t compensate for dodgy accommodation.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2010

This is a Hostel. Reception is only open from 10 to 6, but the door has an access code. You must take off your shoes before entering. There are bunks on 3rd floor and a few private rooms on the 2nd floor. There are 2 toilets on the 2nd floor and 2 showers on the 3rd floor. I had to wait for a shower once out of the 3 nights there. Breakfast consisted of toast with jam, tea, and coffee. I don't really consider that a breakfast- so we went somewhere else every day- there's a Starbucks and McDonald's a few blocks away. The wifi worked some of the time. We think that were was a limit on the number of people connected, so sometimes we had to wait and try again.

Overall, I would stay again. But the question about recommending to a friend is No because my friends wouldn't want to stay in a hostel- but this was Okay for a hostel. One of the 2 nearest Metro Stations (Champ de Mars) is very sketchy, lots of homeless people, so I recommend Place de Arts.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
usa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2008

I've stayed at youth hostels many times--I'm now in my 50's. I was speaking in VT and I flew in my family to jog up with me to Montreal for a few days of fun. And it was...but not while I was at the hostel. Like another reviewer or two, I was taken in by the picture of the other hotel owned by the same folks as keep this hovel in business.

And I took a look at rooms in the other hotel after spending one very long, very loud Saturday night in the 169 property. The other hotel--while far pricier--is very, very nice. I saw several of the rooms and I'd stay there in a heartbeat were we able to afford two rooms.

Horrible bathroom facilities--half of which were out of commission our entire two day stay. We actually had a room on the second floor--not up in the dorm (a kind way to describe it) up on the third floor.

DO NOT STAY HERE if anything else is available. The location, if you're interested in the loud club across the street, is ideal. But for anything but t-shirt shops and bars, go elsewhere. And while you're not staying at this hostel, make a list to NOT eat at The Grille several doors down. Overcooked...overpriced...under served.

I wish I'd seen the reviews here before booking. We'd have bailed half-way through our stay but the hassle of leaving... How good to know I'm not staying there again tonight!

• Liked — ummm...still thinking...
  • Disliked — the bogus photo on website.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank veteranhostelvisitor

Travellers are raving about these Montreal hotels

British Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2008

Like many of you, we looked on line for a "nice" affordable bed and breakfast to stay in Montreal for a couple of days. On the website the place looks really cute and cozy, kudos to the genius who took the photos and his/her abilities with photo shop. Trust us, if you are looking for a bed and breakfast you will be fabulously underwhelmed by La Maison du Patriote!!

We were there during the high season and the place was falling apart. There are technically 3 showers and 2 bathrooms (for god knows how many people... maybe 50?) which may seem like enough but 2 of the showers (which are enclosed in rough plywood boxes with hardly enough room to turn around) were broken, the whole time we were there!! Our room was a joke, no towels provided, we never once saw anyone who resembled staff during our three night stay. I actually had to sneak into some other room where no one had checked in to yet and nab their towels (which smelled) which is what someone no doubt did to our room shortly before we arrived.

The place has no security measures once you are inside. The "barracks style" attic is a nightmare! Everyone walks through it on their way to the only shower that works. Truly creepy!

Breakfast was a figment of the hotel website creator's imagination. There was half a box of No Name Corn Flakes and a pile of dried out slices of wonderbread in the kitchen. No milk, no jams or jellies, no juice. Just a skanky fridge full of god knows what!

Sigh... We are not fancy shmancy jetsetters that need a Hilton but we, like all of you, HATE getting taken advantage of. We paid an exorbitant 85$ per night for this! If we had only paid about 40$ we would have written a lovely review. The owners are very deceitful on their website and when they talk to you on the phone. At least we didn't get bed bugs like some other reviewers!

La Maison du Patriote is a rip off. We found many other places that offer much better value and are either a short walk or Metro ride from the old city. Yes, their location is excellent in the middle of the day but the club scene at 3 in the morning leaves something to be desired. La Maison possitively throbs with bass all night from the club directly across the street.

Here are some other choices to stay at that are much better value that I have stayed at:

Hotel Viger (1001Saint-Hubert) is about half the price.

Bienvenue Bed and Breakfast (3950 Laval Avenue) is about the same price and 10 times as nice, and very quiet on a beautiful street.

I hope this review will help you avoid the same mistakes we made!

• Liked — The location is great.
  • Disliked — High prices, no breakfast, dirty.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GMan1974
Dublin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2008

We stayed in a private room for 4 nights. The location of this house is great, right beside the main tourist street and in the middle of everything. Also near the metro.

I didn't really enjoy mys stay here, our room was tiny!!!, just enough room for our bed and to walk around. It was so uncomfortable, each morning I awoke with a pain in my back, it so hard and slanted to one side!!!

The free internet was great and the kitchen was nice, fridge was a mess though. No system to it really. The breakfast was not much but since this is a bit of a bonus, I didn't mind too much.

If on a budget, I would recommend due to location, otherwise no.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bed!!!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2007

Patriote was my first hostel experience and I won't be my last. I thought it was very cute and had a nice ambience. You receive a pin number after you book a bed which allows you to enter and exit the building. You take off your shoes before going upstairs to the rooms/beds. The private rooms have mini-chalkboards on them on which they write people's names. I didn't stay in a private room. I had an air mattress which had not-so-wide curtains surrounding it. If you're the type to need privacy, you should not stay here. It does get a little noisy in the morning once everyone gets up and there are only 2 bathrooms for everyone staying there. You definitely need to time it correctly. They provide you with sheets, pillow and towel. I thought the sheets and towel were clean but I left the pillow aside. It looked a bit raggedy. The location is great. It's in Old Montreal and you can see the river from the corner. It's also across the street from a popular bar so you can crawl back to your bed. They had some breakfast foods like sliced white bread, cereal and oatmeal but you're better off just getting something from outside. We had Vietnamese noodles in Chinatown one morning with shrimp spring rolls. There were so good!

• Liked — Location and Price
  • Disliked — Too few bathrooms
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends