“What a night!!!”
Review of Upstairs Jazz Club

Upstairs Jazz Club
Ranked #5 of 221 Nightlife in Montreal
Reviewed 12 August 2012

I went to see a performance there last week and what a great night!!! Kimberley Beyea was performing and what a talented trio they are... their Summertime got me from the get go and Kimberley's original song, Moving On, I believe had my feet tapping, my fingers snapping and my head all bopping along to the same beat.

But Upstairs is a splendid venue in itself with its jazz cover menus and decor. The small intimate space harks back to the older jazz clubs and seems to be missing a thick fog of smoke and fancy ladies wearing long satin gloves. The food is also delicious, the cheese plate was wonderfully pungent and sated my friend's love of all cheeses. As for the Litchi Martini, it had a delicious punch that made me yearn for more.

My goal is now to go back to Upstairs for a full sitdown meal with some jazz....

Reviewed 12 June 2012

Being jazz lovers, this place was exactly what we looking for. It's exactly what we expected it to be...actually the only negative aspect is that we expected to find lots more of these places in Montreal, being such a important city when it comes to jazz...so I'd definitely be a regular if I were to live there. There is a 5$ cover charge...which is nothing!! The atmosphere is very pleasant, you can really feel the musicians' passion, being so close to them -but not too close. It's a bar and grill as well, so that makes it a perfect place for an evening with friends. Unfortunately we did not try the food, but the plates our neighbours ordered smelled delicious. The list of drinks is not very long, yet quite interesting, in fact we found something that satisfied our craving. They also serve lunch. I'll definitely go back next time around!

1  Thank BeaBloom
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Went there on a Friday night and my first time going to a jazz bar.
The atmosphere was beautiful (depending on where you are seated) and a very talented live band (Walls of Sound).
The music was superb and the staff especially the bartender was above and beyond as she visited us to ensure that our drinks were filled because the wait staff were busy.

Place is cozy and full of ambiance. I'd go here again on my next visit. As another poster has mentioned, best to eat food elsewhere. The menu items are a bit pricey and portions don't relate to price but i guess you pay for the atmosphere. BUT, I had already paid via a $10 cover charge for the show.

Food was delicious but not worth the portion and price.
Overall, I'd go here for the music and sounds of breathtaking and beautiful jazz.

Reviewed 29 August 2011

We came here twice -- once just for dinner, to check the place out, and once for a show. The music schedule is eclectic, and the night we chose for a performance did not disappoint. Our meals were perfectly good for the price and the service is attentive. If you like jazz, check out the online calendar and make a trip.

Reviewed 29 December 2007

Upstairs is terrific. I love music and am very knowledgeable about it, so I can tell you - this place features incredible live jazz. I've always been impressed with the food and service as well. The owner, Joel, is there most nights and often greets at the door.

The jazz club gets packed so first of all, make a reservation. If you don't, you'll be in the back - a "standing room only" area that is narrow and crowded, with wait staff going between the floor and the kitchen. If you plan on having dinner somewhere else and then arriving for music, you will likely end up in the back for a while (more on that later.) Instead, make a whole night of it at Upstairs, and enjoy it all.

Get there early. Music starts between 8:30 & 9:00, and I recommend getting seated around 7:30 to have a prime spot and get your order in before then. The service is good all the way through, but will be most attentive if you're in most need before the music begins. And when the band is playing, you can focus more on listening.

Ask to sit close to the stage and away from the door (which is drafty in the winter.) This is another reason to arrive early. People tend to talk more in the back, and it's harder to see.

Cover charges are usually $10-20, whether you have dinner or not. Considering the talent and the intimate atmosphere, it's a bargain. Bands typically play 3 sets. You really get your money's worth if you stick around.

If you arrive late and get put in the back, don't despair. It's amazing how many people will leave after the 2nd set, and chances are you'll be given a table for the rest of the show.

Great wine selection. Beer list is minimal, but in this classy place you'll be in the mood for wine anyway. The desserts are good. Unfortunately, the last couple times I was there, the cappuccino machine was broken.

I've only been to Upstairs with buddies but this would be a perfect date place. Sophisticated, romantic, and worth a splurge.

Consider staying at Manoir Ambrose, which is within easy walking distance.

Once you've been to Upstairs, you will be waiting to return.

1  Thank skisailbrew